Can't read/view the contents of a data cd-r (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
barry_island

Can't read/view the contents of a data cd-r (Solved)

#1 Post by barry_island »

I have files saved on a cd-r and when i put the cd-r into the drive 'sr0' appeared on the bottom left of the screen. But no matter what i've tried i cannot read the contents of the cd-r. Could someone help me please.

nic007

Re: Can't read/view the contents on a cd-r?

#2 Post by nic007 »

barry_island wrote:I have files saved on a cd-r and when i put the cd-r into the drive 'sr0' appeared on the bottom left of the screen. But no matter what i've tried i cannot read the contents of the cd-r. Could someone help me please.
Did you check that the original burning of the files to CD was sucessful ie. were you able to read the contents after the burn? Also, CD's can go bad suddenly (especially the cheapies)...or your cd writer can go bad. Can your cd writer read other cd's?

musher0

Re: Can't read/view the contents on a cd-r?

#3 Post by musher0 »

barry_island wrote:I have files saved on a cd-r and when i put the cd-r into the drive 'sr0' appeared on the bottom left of the screen. But no matter what i've tried i cannot read the contents of the cd-r. Could someone help me please.
Hi, barry_island.

To help us help you (it's NOT because we're nosy), can you expand a bit on "what
you've tried"? Also please provide the version and breed of your Puppy and a quick
description of your computer. Thanks.

To access the data stored on any drive or partition on a Linux system, you have to
mount it first.

As you did, put the CD in the CD-DVD tray. When that CD icon appears at the
bottom left, right-click on it, then left-click on the first item in the menu that
appeared: "Run Pmount, etc."

The Pmount program lauches. If you don't see a tab called "optical" near the top,
then go down the list, the sr0 partition should be there. Left-click on the rectangular
button to the right of sr0, labeled "mount".

A ROX-Filer window should open showing the contents of your CD.

~~~~~
If you don't see the sr0 "partition", there is the possibility that your disc is bad.

With a cd, that's easy enough to check. Insert your disc, wait till the little green light
stops blinking, then open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

cd-info /dev/sr0
If you can see a "table of contents" with some files in it, below an "Analysis" label,
your disc should be readable.

This info will be located towards the end of the cd-info listing; the first part describes
your CD/DVD hardware. Also, let's be clear: this "table of contents" shows nothing
like a proper file manager can show, it's a very "raw" list. But if it shows, your disc
should be readable via Pmount and ROX-Filer.

~~~~~
Keep us posted? BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

barry_island

#4 Post by barry_island »

I feel so stupid and thick for not realising that it could have been a problem with the actual burning of the cd before i posted asking for help.

I tried another cd, left-clicked on it and hey presto! all the files suddenly appeared on the screen.

Really big thanks to both nic007 and musher0 for taking the time out to reply and trying to help an old geriatric Puppy Slacko-6.3.0 user like myself.

Thanks both

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

My pleasure.

And please don't feel bad about this: CD/DVD management IS complicated. Even the best
of us had problems with some aspect of it at some point or another.

TWYL.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Burn_IT

#6 Post by Burn_IT »

After many year in the IT industry I still manage to leave the most obvious answer till last!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett