Hard Drive mounting problem - SOLVED!

Using applications, configuring, problems
revbish

Hard Drive mounting problem - SOLVED!

#1 Post by revbish »

I have 2 laptops, both running identically configured Precise Puppy 5.4.2, one a Toshiba, the other a Compaq. I also use 2 identical external 2 TB USB-docked hard drives formatted as NTFS in RAID 1 array (mirroring each other.) I've had no problems at all using the hard drives with either laptop until recently, using the Compaq, suffered a power outage. Now when I try to mount the drives on the Compaq, which appear as usual on the desktop, I get this warning message in a red box:

"The ntfs-3g driver was unable to mount the NTFS
partition and returned this error message:
fuse: mountpoint is not empty
fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
So, the inbuilt kernel NTFS driver has been used
to mount the partition read-only."

I checked the fstab file in both computers, and they are identical, the contents of which is:

none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=2,mode=620 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,rw 0 0

The drives still mount fine (read-write) on the Toshiba, but read only on the Compaq. Does anyone know anything I can do to remedy this situation, i.e. be able to mount read-write on the Compaq? Sincere thanks for any help! I've installed Puppy on both computers' internal hard drives, so they are both dual boot with Windows XP (which I never use anymore now that I can do whatever I want with the apps I have installed on Puppy, which I love.
Last edited by revbish on Mon 28 Jan 2013, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

npierce

#2 Post by npierce »

It sounds like perhaps one or more files have been written to the directory used for the mount point when nothing was mounted. Have a look at that directory before trying to mount the drive. If you find stuff there, move it out. Then try mounting.

revbish

Solved!

#3 Post by revbish »

Sweet! A million thanks! What a simple fix ---- I feel like a real goofball now, but it sure is nice to have my drives back working as they should!

revbish

Marking this "Solved"

#4 Post by revbish »

I'm not sure how to mark this original post "Solved" but please do or let me know how. Thanks again.

npierce

#5 Post by npierce »

Good news. You're welcome.

You can edit the topic title by clicking the Edit button on your original post, updating the Subject line, and clicking Submit.

flusch

Hard drive mounting problem

#6 Post by flusch »

Thank you very much also, npierce. It worked for me, too. I had no idea how to approach this problem, but a search of the forum led me right to this thread. :D

npierce

#7 Post by npierce »

flusch,

You're welcome.

It's always good to hear that an old post has helped someone else. Thanks for letting me know.