how to extend or disable browser timeouts?

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

how to extend or disable browser timeouts?

#1 Post by nubc »

I would like to extend the period that the browser continues to wait for a server response. Right now, the Network Timeout occurs at 12 or 15 seconds. I have also experienced a Gateway Time-out, and would like to work around this obstacle as well. I googled (oops) it and got a response about using regedit in Windows. I'm currently using Wary 5.1.1 with SM 2.0.11.
Last edited by nubc on Thu 28 Mar 2013, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

In Seamonkey, enter about:config in the URL/address bar. You'll probably get a "This might void your warranty!" warning; click "I'll be careful, I promise!" to continue.

In the Search: bar, type timeout. This should bring up all the timeout entries for you to examine. (Check the Preference Names on a page like this one to see what each does.)
WARNING: To be safe, make a note of what each entry is set to before you change it, so you can change it back if necessary. Also, it wouldn't hurt to make a backup of your Seamonkey profile before attempting under-the-hood changes like this.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

nubc

#3 Post by nubc »

default timeout settings
network.proxy.failover_timeout 1800
network.http.keep-alive.timeout 300
network.ftp.idleConnectionTimeout 300

I have a feeling that the proxyfailover timeout is the critical setting, because I took the suggestion to change a SM advanced setting, switching from system proxy to auto-proxy.