Lucid Puppy will not boot from DVD

Booting, installing, newbie
UgashikBob

Lucid Puppy will not boot from DVD

#1 Post by UgashikBob »

Downloaded lupu-528.005.iso which has the the .iso file suffix but appears to be in zipped format. Using ActiveISO burner on my Win7 machine will burn the .iso file to DVD but will not boot. It places all the files on the DVD and the DVD is read at boot time but will not boot. In the past I have burned iso files directly to DVD just by right clicking on them with Win7 and selecting Burn to disc but it will not work on this file.
. Either I have downloaded the incorrect ISO file or I am not burning it correctly. Any suggestions appreciated.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

What files do you see on the DVD?

What messages do you get when the boot fails?

UgashikBob

Lucit Puppy Boot

#3 Post by UgashikBob »

I first downloaded lupu-582.005.iso which is a zip file. I then unzip the zipfile and copy all of the unzipped files to Win7 ISO burn function you access by right clicking the DVD drive icon in Windows Explorer and it burns the files listed below to a DVD that will not boot. No msg at boot failure. You can hear the DVD being read but then pauses and boots from my secondary device (Win7)

Files on DVD after Win7 ISO burn:
boot.cat
boot.msg
help.msg
help2.msg
initrd.gz
isoliniux.bin
isolinus.cfg
logo.16
lupu.528.sfs
lupu-528.005.iso (WinZip File)
lminuz

All suggestions appreciated.

Dean

#4 Post by Dean »

Try burning the .iso with Imgburn.
------------
[b]HP 510 Notebook[/b] CPU 1.4 GHz Pentium M / RAM 2GB / 15.4" WXGA BrightView 1280 x 800 / 40GB HD / OS Manjaro 0.8.8

UgashikBob

Lucit Puppy Boot

#5 Post by UgashikBob »

Imgburn did the deed by using the zip.iso file for input. Thank you for your help.

Dean

#6 Post by Dean »

No worries :D
------------
[b]HP 510 Notebook[/b] CPU 1.4 GHz Pentium M / RAM 2GB / 15.4" WXGA BrightView 1280 x 800 / 40GB HD / OS Manjaro 0.8.8

UgashikBob

Puppy USB3 support

#7 Post by UgashikBob »

The reason I downloaded/installed Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 iso was to attempt to reclaim data on a external 1TB USB3/2 drive. I tested both a working USB3/2 drive and the drive in question and both drives were not recognized when attached as a USB3 device. When the known good USB3/2 drive was attached via a USB2 port it was both recognized and functional. So the question is does the higher levels of Lucid Puppy like 5.5 support USB3 external drives? Are special drivers available and if so at what level?
When I tested the drive in question on the same laptop with win7 it at least showed up as not initialized and I was optioned to initialize it. I was told Linux was a better environment for reclaiming data on a questionable drive.
Thanks again for any suggestions.