Puppy2 : Harddrive installation problem with my Laptop

Booting, installing, newbie
RrovirarR

Puppy2 : Harddrive installation problem with my Laptop

#1 Post by RrovirarR »

Hi all, I'm sorry if it's a silly question but I'm not so familiar with Puppy Linux.

Background:

I have a DELL LATITUDE C500/C600 Laptop (sorry but I don't specs...).
Step1- I used Puppy1.08 over it as a live CD. Everything ok, no problem detected.
Step2- I installed Puppy1.08 to my Hard disk. As before, no problem detected an all features (audio, video, ...) were working good.

Problem:

Once I noticed that Puppy2 was released, I decided to use it.
Step3- I used Puppy2 as a live CD and everything ok.
Step4- I decided to install Puppy2 to my hard disk. For that purpose,I use Universal Installer utility. I followed all default options, GRUB installed in MBR, ...
After Rebooting, Laptop hangs-up while the following text is printed on the screen:

pcmcia: detected deprecated PCMCIA ioctl usage
pcmcia: This interface will soon be removed from the kernel; please expect breakage unless you upgrade to new tools
pcmcia: see http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/k ... cmcia.html for details
cardmgr[885]: waiting 2 sockets
CS: IO port probe 0xc00 - 0xcff: clean
CS: IO port probe 0xc00 - 0xcff: clean
CS: IO port probe 0x800 - 0x8ff:

After this last sentence, computer stops its process and reboots.

It's quite strange for me but it seems I can avoid this problem if I press Insert key continuously during power up process. In this case, graphical interface appear and all other functionalities work perfectly.

Can somebody tell me what it's happening?
What shall I do to solve it?

Thanks a lot.

sml

#2 Post by sml »

I have the same problem just doing a USB flash boot with version 2.10. It hangs with the cardmgr start-up as per you log.

quirogan

Gateway solo 5300 and crappy screen resolution

#3 Post by quirogan »

Guys, I'm totally new to linux, but I was able to install puppy on my laptop and i'm amazed at how it flyes!
HOWEVER, I've been playing around with xorgwizard and can never seem to get a good resolution on my laptop. It always ends up somewhere around 500x300 or some crappy resolution like that. the other x server (xvesa i think) just dies and I end up with a blank screen.

If anybody can lend a hand, I'd really appreciate it. I want to quit using windows and want to benefit from the speed of puppy, but I can't work at that resolution.

h e l p

sml

#4 Post by sml »

Solved by adding 'nopcmcia' to the boot options. Hopefully the card manager works in later kernel releases.

Pizzasgood

#5 Post by Pizzasgood »

This may not apply to you, but you can get more specific than the wizard lets you by editing /etc/X11/xorgconfig manually. My roommate's resolution wasn't listed so I took the closest then did it by hand after getting booted.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Re: Gateway solo 5300 and crappy screen resolution

#6 Post by Guest »

quirogan wrote:Guys, I'm totally new to linux, but I was able to install puppy on my laptop and i'm amazed at how it flyes!
HOWEVER, I've been playing around with xorgwizard and can never seem to get a good resolution on my laptop. It always ends up somewhere around 500x300 or some crappy resolution like that. the other x server (xvesa i think) just dies and I end up with a blank screen.

If anybody can lend a hand, I'd really appreciate it. I want to quit using windows and want to benefit from the speed of puppy, but I can't work at that resolution.

h e l p
What is the native resolution of your laptops screen?

When you boot up with it and get to the "blank" screen, is there a "-" at the upper left of the screen?
Ifso, wait a few seconds to make sure the HD light is not flashing, and hit "Ctrl-Alt-F2", to switch to second screen, and login as root with no password.
Then run "xorgconfig" and use the closest settings that matches your screen. To quote a fellow Puppian;
Billcnz wrote:I've found the best way to get xorg working in Puppy on this laptop is: after selecting xorg from the xorgwizard and getting the black screen with the cursor flashing in the top left corner I wait a few seconds for any hard drive activity to stop then flip to the second console with Ctrl+Alt+F2 and login as root and blank password. Then I run xorgconfig and choose: HorizSync 31.5 - 48.5, VertRefresh 50 - 70, trident driver, 1024x768 16 bit resolution.

Bill

Bob 8)

quirogan

crappy video resolution

#7 Post by quirogan »

My video card's specs are as follows:
HorizSync 31.5-48.5
VertRefresh 55-90
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
Driver "savage"
VendorName "S3 Inc."
BoardName "86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV"

I tried messing with the config file manually, but it didn't work.
I gotta tell you guys, I'm really dissapointed, cause I liked the simplicity of use and the speed of puppy. I got the "seamonkey" version and it comes packed with just the right apps, no more no less.......but the resolution in the laptop I NEED to use in, sucks and It seems like there's no way to get it fixed....
If anybody got a workaround you'll win a friend for life!

Re: crappy video resolution

#8 Post by Guest »

quirogan wrote:My video card's specs are as follows:
HorizSync 31.5-48.5
VertRefresh 55-90
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
Driver "savage"
VendorName "S3 Inc."
BoardName "86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV"

I tried messing with the config file manually, but it didn't work.
I gotta tell you guys, I'm really dissapointed, cause I liked the simplicity of use and the speed of puppy. I got the "seamonkey" version and it comes packed with just the right apps, no more no less.......but the resolution in the laptop I NEED to use in, sucks and It seems like there's no way to get it fixed....
If anybody got a workaround you'll win a friend for life!
Ok, boot up, and when it stops at the blank screen, do the "CTRL-ALT-F2"
to get to the 2nd console. Login as root, NO password.
Type "xorgconfig" hit (ENTER).
The following keys are the order I would use to configure your laptop if I had it.

enter
y
enter
enter
n
enter
enter
y
enter
5 or 6 or 7 depending on vid memory used
enter
and finally yes to write the xorg.conf file..
then "xwin" enter to startup the GUI

Good luck..

I had to do the same for my Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD to get it running.
And the same with my Dell C800..

Bob 8)

quirogan

crappy screen resolution

#9 Post by quirogan »

Thanks Bob,
I'll give this a try and let you know if it worked on my laptop. Xsing my fingers!

q