Puppy2: observations

Booting, installing, newbie
Bloop

Puppy2: observations

#1 Post by Bloop »

Since 1.0.x wouldn't boot on my computer (it froze solid during bootup) I am happy to see 2.0 booting. Few observations, but first my computer specs:

It's a laptop (HP Omnibook xe4500) with external LCD monitor, USB keyboard and USB mouse and WiFi card in CardBus slot.

- Booting stops for a while (a minute ?) at PCMCIA detection, but proceeds further after that pause.

- USB keyboard doesn't work during bootup (but the built-in "PS/2" laptop keyboard does work at that time). USB keyboard starts functioning normally once booting is complete (ie. in menus).

- Regardless of whether I select 1024x768 LCD or 1280x1024 LCD as monitor type, Xorg always comes up at 1024x768 and wouldn't even allow me to switch to 1280x1024. External monitor is 1280x1024 and IIRC said resolution works just fine under WinXP and Slackware (running XFree86 X server). Built-in (laptop) monitor is 1024x768 though but I don't use it at all.

- There's another oddity about internal monitor: Xorg enables built-in monitor as soon as it starts but keeps it blank (black) - it's just the backlight that is turned on. This is not the expected behavior; the backlight should be off as well and only external monitor should be enabled. This works normally under WXP, untested under other OSes.

- I figured I'd try to install Puppy2 on USB key, even though I have no means of booting directly from it (= my computers are too old). As the process (file and ext3 filesystem creation) went on I was checking it out in another console and I noticed strange-looking file onUSB key that wasn't there before. It's name is composed of (among others) some non-7bit characters and reads "

wigheard

#2 Post by wigheard »

The font ugliness might be because XP doesn't anti-alias small text. I've had a quick look around, but I can't figure out how to disable anti-aliasing. Maybe someone else can help :P

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

There was a thread sometime ago that discussed how to turn off font antialiasing
for small fonts.

Yes, the xorg wizard is currently not so good when there is more than one monitor.