how to get free public wifi

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
technosaurus

#1 Post by technosaurus »

general idea

1. view source of the "login page" - intentionally avoid anything requiring you to agree to anything

2. look for something that is "encoded" ... its usually base64 or something obvious (random characters possibly ending in a number of equal signs) after poking around, note its id= value

3. open up your browsers console on the page (not the page source) and use something along the lines of:
console.log(atob(document.getElementById("__VIEWSTATE").value))
where __VIEWSTATE is the id of the encrypted tag (at MIA) and atob may be replaced with more than 1 nesting of atob and/or btoa ... otherwise check for included .js libs like crypto.js (not likely necessary, since most programmers are lazy)

4. if successful, you should get output with some urls, one of them should grant you access - usually the one(s) that contain an outside link to another domain like google.com - try them

That's it. Enjoy your otherwise PITA wait.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

bill

#2 Post by bill »

Hi All,Can anyone elaborate on this post by technosaurus ? It is way past
my pay grade :roll:

PaulR

#3 Post by PaulR »

I can understand most of it I *think*:

1 go to the log in page then right click in your browser and view source

2 look for the encoded info

3 on your browser menu find the console (eg Tools->Web Development->Error Console in SeaMonkey)

in the 'code' input area enter the command console.log(atob(document.getElementById("__VIEWSTATE").value)) or similar replacing value with the value you found in step 2

4 Click the resulting urls to see which will let you in

Or use you smartphone with unlimited internet :P

bill

#4 Post by bill »

Thanks PaulR,This is exactly the "elaboration" I was looking for.I can't say I
can pull it off but at least ,this gives me a way forward.Much appreciated.
cheers