Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
live

#106 Post by live »

How do I Wifi connect
right click on the wifi icon on bottom right of taskbar > setup networking

also internet wizard in control panel > network
I scanned the network, but how do I connect to the chosen one???

kirk

#107 Post by kirk »

How do I Wifi connect
Quote:

No, just left click on it and follow the instructions in the FAQs: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... rking.html

Again, the web page above is included with Fatdog64, it's on the home page under FAQs.

kirk , could you make another pet of it , when you find some time , please
Yep, it's now in the repo. This is one I can't test, let me know if it's broke.

Gnuxo

#108 Post by Gnuxo »

Hi, I was trying to change my keyboard layout to Russian for some quick work but when I tried to change the xkbmap, it would cause me to be unable to type at all, and I'd have to reset X.

I looked through the locales and realized that russian isn't even included...

Is there someway to add more languages?\\

Edit: Ok nevermind. Russian is included in the keyboard layouts but whenever I try to change it, I'm unable to type at all. It's not detected.
Something is wrong with the russian language in Fatdog64

DrDeaf

#109 Post by DrDeaf »

kirk wrote:
As UEFI was discussed during the beta period, I looked at it a bit and I have a question. If my machine only boots from "clean" "read only" ISO images, does UEFI have any benefit for that environment?
UEFI is a replacement firmware for BIOS that's found on newer computers. You ether have it or you don't, though some UEFI implementations do have a legacy (BIOS) mode. Fatdog64-620 will boot on BIOS computers or UEFI computers.
Thanks for the response, Kirk.
I should have given more information. I do have a machine that will boot either way and I have it set to accept either. Without any change in settings, FD610 and 620 each boot no problem. My question came from my recollection of the reading I did during the early beta time and my recollection of the purpose of UEFI as I understood it.

As I recall UEFI boots only with signed code and is intended to prevent maliciously corrupted access to the machine. Yes? Is there more that relates to FatDog64 that perhaps I did not understand? Further, since I boot only from a "clean" "read only" ISO and do not use a "savefile" does UEFI benefit my environment?
Thanks again!

jamesbond

#110 Post by jamesbond »

DrDeaf wrote:As I recall UEFI boots only with signed code and is intended to prevent maliciously corrupted access to the machine. Yes?
Incorrect. Don't confuse UEFI with SecureBoot.
Is there more that relates to FatDog64 that perhaps I did not understand?
Fatdog64 can boot on SecureBoot environment but it doesn't bring any supposed "benefits" of SecureBoot (whatever the "benefits" are).
Further, since I boot only from a "clean" "read only" ISO and do not use a "savefile" does UEFI benefit my environment?
In this *very particular scenario*, no, there is no benefit choosing to boot Fatdog with UEFI over booting Fatdog with BIOS mode.
Gnuxo wrote:Edit: Ok nevermind. Russian is included in the keyboard layouts but whenever I try to change it, I'm unable to type at all. It's not detected.
Something is wrong with the russian language in Fatdog64
As far as locales are concerned, I'm sorry to say that Fatdog64 is English only.
Additional locales are available from the package manager and also on the devx - load the devx, set the appropriate locales and then you can unload devx, of you wish, but there is no localisation/internationalisation in Fatdog64.
Keyboard layouts are supposed to work, but both myself and kirk only understand one layout so we rely on people like you to confirm whether it work (or not) and hopefully over a fix if not.

EDIT: seems that you need to enable an UTF-8 locale before you can use the Russian keyboard layout. I tested using en_AU.UTF-8 locale, restart X as suggested, and after that I changed the keyboard layout to Standard Russia. Opening terminal, I can then type some characters.
liboicl wrote:First of all, as of 6.0.0, I believe, the initrd has contained the base and mosule sfs files. This makes the initrd file huge. I have a 10MB boot partition and I have to edit the initrd, move the files, and modify the init script with every release. This is very tedious. I preferred the previous releases with the files already separate.
You don't have to edit the initrd manually. There is a CLI tool called "fatdog-split-initrd.sh" to do that for you. Okay, I concede we'll probably need a FAQ entry on this :)
Secondly, I upgraded from 6.0.1 to this one and it takes about 40 seconds after boot for my mouse and keyboard to start working. On 6.0.1 they both worked instantaneously. They are both USB devices.
? Can you elaborate?
Gobbi wrote:I unchecked 'Sofware mixing (shared access)' from the second window after I chose the sound card from
Control Panel/Sound/Fatdog64 Set Default Sound Card and the annoying nasty noise from my HDMI output doesn't bother me anymore . Now my Sapphire HD 7870 XT works great in Fatdog64 620 .
Thank you. I am under the impression that everybody knows that when using HDMI, the software mixing should be turned off ... :oops:
JustGreg wrote: USB 2.0 Device Booting
Thank you for the testing the USB booting in USB boot. This is very useful information, we should get this information documented in a more permanent place, let me think ...
spandey wrote:You are right, the routing table is not correct.
I need to look at pppoe stuff, but I won't have the time for that now :(
Can you try this: type "route add default gw x.x.x.x" where x.x.x.x is the the second IP address on ppp0 interface (the one you get from ifconfig ppp0), and see if you can ping 8.8.8.8 after this?
gcmartin wrote:Server Manager (SAMBA, et.al)
Further review of the Server manager shows that the server I "disabled" remained disabled while the servers I enable and started did not show enabled/restarted after save-session during reboot. Specifically crond, ntp, samba.
I've just tested on a fresh ISO, booted up with "multisession" option, enable all the 3 services (crond, ntp, samba), reboot (and saving the session), and everything came back running after that :?

EDIT: update info for gnuxo.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Sage

#111 Post by Sage »

620: GParted = Treacle?!

rcrsn51

#112 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sage wrote:620: GParted = Treacle?!
I don't see a problem.

Is it slow to start or slow to perform tasks?

Is this the old problem with detecting phantom floppy drives?

How much memory do you have?

Sage

#113 Post by Sage »

Very slow to detect drives, just slow to operate, normal to sign off.
Got 1Gb, but it isn't doing much (subjectively). This is still a compact distro with .iso of 224Mb. Can run live CDs three times that size at normal speed. This is the first time on any machine, any distro, any mem complement that I've seen this super-slow behaviour.

gcmartin

#114 Post by gcmartin »

jamesbond wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Server Manager (SAMBA, et.al)
Further review of the Server manager shows that the server I "disabled" remained disabled while the servers I enable and started did not show enabled/restarted after save-session during reboot. Specifically crond, ntp, samba.
I've just tested on a fresh ISO, booted up with "multisession" option, enable all the 3 services (crond, ntp, samba), reboot (and saving the session), and everything came back running after that :?
Thanks JamesBond.

Maybe you and I have somehow used different boot options or save-session path back to Live media. I have this problem on 2 completely different PCs with identical results. That is, the subsystems are not restarting; and they are shown so in the tool provided in the Control panel. The PCs are non-UEHI PCs with old BIOSs.

Has anyone else seen a similar issue with Live media boot and save sessions where these or other servers that are enabled and started via the control panel are not enabled and/or started upon reboot?

I will revisit my "boot-run-reboot" path again and report back, here, in this post soon. I will document the steps in such a way as it will lead to discovery of where this may be breaking down.

Edit: If there are any system files which anyone feels would also help shed light on the issue, please advise and I will provide.

Here to help

Q5sys

#115 Post by Q5sys »

Someone with Nvidia please test this and report back before it gets added to the repos.
Nvidia Short Branch x86_64 Driver Version 313.30

Click for full resolution: (3840x2160)

gcmartin

#116 Post by gcmartin »

Using Live Media to boot FATDOG620. This time an installation departure was taken. I DID NOT INSTALL ALL PETs as had been done on prior FATDOG620 Live Media setup. I ONLY installed the 2 requirements I felt necessary: see below:
  1. Created a fresh FATDOG620 multi-session base DVD on an RW
  2. Booted FATDOG with parms
    • ... withlvm withmdadm nouveau.noaccel=1 savefile=no
  3. At desktop
  4. turn on swap to use the swap partition
  5. install Kirk's "eject" PET
  6. setup SAMBA configuration for LAN sharing
  7. Use Control Panel for following
    • Localization
      • timezone
      • hostname
    • set wallpaper
    • System
      • Fatdog PPM
        • install required SAMBA Extensions
      • Fatdog Server Management
        • Enable and Start all necessary servers
  8. exited the desktop
    1. set system password
    2. set SAMBA password
  9. Enter the desktop
  10. Reboot
  11. designate the savefile drive (sr0)
  12. system rebooted with parms
    • ... withlvm withmdadm nouveau.noaccel=1 savefile=direct:multi
  13. Opened desktop to find the Server subsystems are started. (This is the expected behavior that I had NOT gotten before.)
Thanks James for testing.
Again, the primary change, this time, was to NOT install all of the PETs required for this version to replace my older FATDOG520

WillM

#117 Post by WillM »

Hi Q5sys.

The nvidia-310.44-3.8.7 driver was already installed on here. I uninstalled it, rebooted, then installed the Nvidia-313.30-FD620-K3.7.8.pet. Rebooted, and it could not detect the correct resolution of my monitor, which is 1900x1080. Here is xerrs log;

Code: Select all

X.Org X Server 1.12.4
Release Date: 2012-08-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.8.5 x86_64 
Current Operating System: Linux fatdog64-c65 3.8.7 #1 SMP Fri Apr 12 20:11:22 EDT 2013 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/fatdog620/vmlinuz root=UUID=6fbee58b-cd48-4819-8d2b-ed06d7f00eea savefile=direct:device:sda2:/fatdog620/fd64save
Build Date: 02 April 2013  01:24:52PM

Current version of pixman: 0.24.2
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Apr 28 18:45:02 2013
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
FATAL: Could not read '/lib/modules/3.8.7/kernel/nvidia.ko': No such file or directory
resize called 1280 1024

Gobbi

#118 Post by Gobbi »

After many tries I had no success with ati_13.4 pet on my computer :( . Tomorrow I shall install the pet on a different AMD hardware . The 13.3b3 pet gave me much hope because it works .
With 13.4 it happens exactly as with 13.1 that is X does not start . After loading the kernel a message tells that the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log is missing .Neither xorgwizard xwin or xorgwizard-old solves anything .
Using 13.3b3 I found that file , so posting it maybe helps ...
Attachments
Xorg.0.txt.gz
(7.44 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

Billtoo

Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013)

#119 Post by Billtoo »

I installed the ati 13.4 pet and it's working okay on my laptop.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Mon 29 Apr 2013 on Fatdog64 620 Linux 3.8.7 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller:
Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]neeATI Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: PARK 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.2.12217 Compatibility Profile Context 12.104

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430 @ 2.27GHz
Core 0: @1199 1: @1199 2: @1199 3: @1199 MHz

# glxgears
12541 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2508.160 FPS
12065 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2412.859 FPS
11965 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2392.939 FPS
#

Atle

#120 Post by Atle »

@Q5sys

I can not install the Nvidia driver, as it tells me to be root...

Billtoo

Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013)

#121 Post by Billtoo »

kirk wrote:It looks like that card is supported by this pet:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/6 ... -3.8.7.pet

So you can try that one with a new savefile. But, that's one I don't the hardware to test. You might need the 13.3 beta driver AMD has out right now. If anyone has tested the ati-catalyst-13.1-3.8.7.pet let us know.
I installed the ati-catalyst-legacy-13.1-3.8.7.pet and it's working
okay on my imac.

video-info-glx 1.5.3 Mon 29 Apr 2013 on Fatdog64 620 Linux 3.8.7 x86_64
0.0 VGA compatible controller:
Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: M74 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: fglrx
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1680x1050 pixels (444x277 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT
OpenGL version string: 3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8135 @ 2.40GHz
Core 0: @800 1: @800 MHz

# glxgears
24514 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4902.756 FPS
24915 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4982.821 FPS
24975 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4994.888 FPS
#

Q5sys

#122 Post by Q5sys »

WillM wrote:Hi Q5sys.

The nvidia-310.44-3.8.7 driver was already installed on here. I uninstalled it, rebooted, then installed the Nvidia-313.30-FD620-K3.7.8.pet. Rebooted, and it could not detect the correct resolution of my monitor, which is 1900x1080. Here is xerrs log;

X.Org X Server 1.12.4
Release Date: 2012-08-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.8.5 x86_64 
Current Operating System: Linux fatdog64-c65 3.8.7 #1 SMP Fri Apr 12 20:11:22 EDT 2013 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/fatdog620/vmlinuz root=UUID=6fbee58b-cd48-4819-8d2b-ed06d7f00eea savefile=direct:device:sda2:/fatdog620/fd64save
Build Date: 02 April 2013  01:24:52PM

Current version of pixman: 0.24.2
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Apr 28 18:45:02 2013
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
FATAL: Could not read '/lib/modules/3.8.7/kernel/nvidia.ko': No such file or directory
resize called 1280 1024
WillM,
Thanks for testing that... I normally make drivers into SFS packages out of my save file... doing it via a Pet was a different method for me, and I missed that main file. lol
I've remade it.
http://puppy-linux.org/fatdog64/fd620/p ... K3.7.8.pet

btw... could you post how you loaded that PET for Atle. Again since i normally make my drivers as SFS packages for easy replacement, I'm not familiar with the install method on FD for non repo pets.

Liboicl

#123 Post by Liboicl »

To elaborate on my mouse issues, which for some reason have now transferred to 6.0.1. I am unsure if this is even related to fatdog anymore. Anyway, when the OS boots my mouse and keyboard lights go off. It seems to connect faster now though, in about 10 seconds on 6.0.1. I can't move my mouse or use my keyboard until the lights come back on. I added

options usbhid quirks=0x0458:0x0138:0x20000000
options usbhid quirks=0x1532:0x0118:0x20000000
to /etc/modprobe.d and now the lights won't go off, but I still have to wait ~10 seconds to use them. If I do a cold boot, I have issues with these devices before the OS loads as well. In that case, I have to unplug and replug them in. The odd thing is, this behavior doesn't happen if I use my old mouse, but it still happens if I use no mouse, of course only to the keyboard in that last case. All of the devices are USB.

I get an error in dmesg

timeout initializing reports
[url=http://tehgroup.org/repo]Additional .pet packages[/url]

WillM

#124 Post by WillM »

HI Q5sys.

The new Nvidia-313.30-FD620-K3.7.8.pet didn't boot to the desktop. Maybe that's just a typo, but Fatdog64-620 uses 3.8.7 kernel.

Atle, Log in as root to install pets.

live

#125 Post by live »

Quote:
How do I Wifi connect
Quote:

No, just left click on it and follow the instructions in the FAQs: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... rking.html

Again, the web page above is included with Fatdog64, it's on the home page under FAQs.
So far under FatDog, I fail to get Wifi either on open or crypted WiFi.

If I correctly understood I would clarify http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... rking.html in such a way:

To connect to a new WiFI network using wpa_gui, you first need to scan & add the WiFi network, then configure & select it. Here is how.
First, click on the wpa_gui icon to open it

To add a new one:
0) Verify that the pane "Current Status" is displayed
1) Click disconnect.
2) Click scan to scan all available WiFis.
3) Result will appear in a window, double click on the network you want to connect to, so as to add it to the list of configured network you want to connect.
4) IF any password is needed, type it in the PSK field and click add.
Warning: you do need to select the right authentification protocol.

The WiFi network is now added in a list of configured network with a preceding ordering number.

5) Now, select the network in the list you created of configured networks, by selecting it into the the Network pull-down list.

Note: You may manage your list of network, by changing to the pane "Manage Network"
Last edited by live on Tue 30 Apr 2013, 08:29, edited 2 times in total.