Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
dancytron

#151 Post by dancytron »

Ted Dog wrote:Nice, I'm a ebook junky, just got the paperwhite its awesome, to bad they do not have a kindle bookreader for linux, even with almost all versions of the hardware use linux kernels. :shock:
There is a Kindle app for Chrome which works in puppy (at least in Lucid and Precise).

Billtoo

#152 Post by Billtoo »

kirk wrote:BillToo,

I haven't used the getnvidia utility, maybe James has some ideas with that. I uploaded a 319.17 pet if you want to try it:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/pets/6 ... -3.8.7.pet
The new pet is working great, I find that the proprietary driver works
better than the nouveau driver when using two monitors.
Thanks very much for the pet.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(72.76 KiB) Downloaded 656 times

gcmartin

Seeing LVM(s) in the booted FATDOG system

#153 Post by gcmartin »

Edited: Sorry for this question to forum. It appears as dm-0 on the desktop. I mis-understood that icon's reference. The system accurately references the LVM

A boot time to desktop question
I booted by selecting the "...LVM and MD...", then hitting tab, and adding savefile=direct:multi.
The system boots fine to desktop. On this system, I list the HDD and start the SWAP as follows:

Code: Select all

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x2afbc966

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1              63    20466809    10233373+  12  Compaq diagnostics
/dev/sda2   *    20466810    64002959    21768075    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3        74220300   312576704   119178202+   f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda4        64002960    64412559      204800   83  Linux
/dev/sda5       104952645   210162329    52604842+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda6       210162393   230645204    10241406   83  Linux
/dev/sda7       230645760   261357567    15355904    7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda8       261361548   304190774    21414613+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda9       304190838   312576704     4192933+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda10       74220363   104936266    15357952   8e  Linux LVM

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/dm-0: 9684 MB, 9684647936 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1177 cylinders, total 18915328 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/dm-0 doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/dm-1: 6039 MB, 6039797760 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 734 cylinders, total 11796480 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/dm-1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
# swapon /dev/sda9
But, the desktop only list the following partitions, below, for mounting.

Question
  • Should I see the LVM as an available for mounting?
Answer: YES! its the dm-0 icon reference in desktop.
Attachments
SystemONLYpresentsThis.png
This is all that shows on the desktop...The LVM is NOT showing.
(48.11 KiB) Downloaded 646 times

prehistoric

#154 Post by prehistoric »

dancytron wrote:...There is a Kindle app for Chrome which works in puppy (at least in Lucid and Precise).
Do we have Chrome for Fatdog 6.20? If so I missed it.

There is a Kindle Cloud reader app for Firefox which should work, though I have not tried it.

Myself, I don't feel like reading while sitting at a keyboard. What I've done is to put Kindle for Android on my B&N Nook Color, after upgrading to Android 4.1.2 with CyanogenMod.

Gobbi

#155 Post by Gobbi »

Trying FD620 on an Acer Aspire 5738ZG .It has an ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 . Booted at first try . Zarfy show only 1024/768 and 800/600 resolutions available.
I attach the hard-info...
Attachments
hardinfo_report.txt.gz
(5.86 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

kirk

#156 Post by kirk »

Trying FD620 on an Acer Aspire 5738ZG .It has an ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 . Booted at first try . Zarfy show only 1024/768 and 800/600 resolutions available.
I attach the hard-info...
That report doesn't show a radeon module loaded, which is needed for you video card, or you would need the proprietary fglrx module. I think the radeon 4650 is well supported by radeon, check that you don't have something in Grub, or whatever boot loader, that would cause radeon not to load and try booting with savefile=none in case you have something configured wrong.

nooby

#157 Post by nooby »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86053
Especially this IP 198.101.241.44

most likely something innocent? Forget I mention it here
Last edited by nooby on Wed 08 May 2013, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Gobbi

#158 Post by Gobbi »

kirk wrote: That report doesn't show a radeon module loaded, which is needed for you video card, or you would need the proprietary fglrx module. I think the radeon 4650 is well supported by radeon, check that you don't have something in Grub, or whatever boot loader, that would cause radeon not to load and try booting with savefile=none in case you have something configured wrong.
That report was not of downloaded FD620.iso , but from a remaster made on an HD 5770 adding ati_13.4 pet . I realized the error late , but I went to bed and today I post the right report for the downloaded version . I didn't have the time to try to add later the correct driver because I had to give it back to it's owner . Sorry for missleading... :oops:
Attachments
hardinfo_report_final_release.txt.gz
(5.88 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

gcmartin

#159 Post by gcmartin »

In running the Hardinfo tool for local use on the PC, I found couple issues. I share them here. And, in doing so I say/suggest that these are very very minor items as all information is contained in the reports (cli/desktop).

cli messages

Code: Select all

# hardinfo -r > /tmp/hardinfo_report.txt
Computer
 Summary
 Operating System
 Kernel Modules
 Boots
 Languages
 Filesystems
 Display
 Environment Variables
 Development
 Users
 Groups
Devices
 Processor
 Memory
 PCI Devices
 USB Devices
 Printers
 Battery
 Sensors
 Input Devices
 Storage
 DMI
 Memory SPD
 Resources
Network
 Interfaces
 IP Connections
 Routing Table
 ARP Table
 DNS Servers
 Statistics
error parsing /proc/net/snmp: Success
 Shared Directories
sh: net: command not founds...
Benchmarks
 CPU Blowfish
 CPU CryptoHash
 CPU Fibonacci
 CPU N-Queens
 FPU FFT
 FPU Raytracing
 GPU Drawing
# 
Thus, its messages in Shared Directories section (above) and the info in the RAM section (below) not appearing.

Again, this is minor.

Here to help
Attachments
FD620_Hardinfo.png
RAM data is missing
(84.72 KiB) Downloaded 504 times

gcmartin

JamesBond ask for additional info to assist in understanding

#160 Post by gcmartin »

jamesbond wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Again, the primary change, this time, was to NOT install all of the PETs required for this version to replace my older FATDOG520
What were the pets you installed that caused the startup to fail?
The attached Picture belows shows the FATDOG PETs installed and the servers listings. Remember: The servers were enabled and started before reboot with a save-session to the Live media.

This is the behavior I have using the initial use of the 620-Final ISO with a Live media. ALSO, remember that in an earlier post I share that when ONLY SAMBA was addressed with ONLY the SAMBA Extras PET, then, after enabling and starting before shutdown with save-session to media, ONLY then, did the server(s) behave as expected. From that extra step at the beginning with another Live media disc forward, did the servers maintain expected behavior on all subsequest save-sessions and reboots.

The ISO's md5 matches and the base system files, on each of the 2 Live media disc, also match with each other.

I will continue to save the "bad" LiveDVD for another week or so before retiring it.

Any additional information or tasks I can provide to assist problem understanding/discovery, I will do per request.

Here to help
Attachments
Servers not starting at boot.png
Servers NOT enabled and PETs installed.
(159.6 KiB) Downloaded 158 times

gcmartin

#161 Post by gcmartin »

This is a repeat of an earlier question to the developers:

Thanks for the PETs you provide for video drivers that are both built-in as well as available via the PPM REPOs.

But, I cannot find anywhere a set of steps that we, Live media users, should use to installed the video PETs appropriately in the running system.

To rephrase an earlier post requesting understanding:
  • Is there a preliminary set of things that is recommended to be done, prior to installing a new video PET?
  • Or is the new Video PETs smart enough to manage its inserting into the system and survive across save-session reboots on the LIve media disc?
If this is already documented somewhere, I apologize as I have not found it for this version of FATDOG.

Any guidance would be helpful

Thanks in advance.

jamesbond

Re: JamesBond ask for additional info to assist in understanding

#162 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:
jamesbond wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Again, the primary change, this time, was to NOT install all of the PETs required for this version to replace my older FATDOG520
What were the pets you installed that caused the startup to fail?
The attached Picture belows shows the FATDOG PETs installed and the servers listings. Remember: The servers were enabled and started before reboot with a save-session to the Live media.
Sorry gcmartin, I am unable to reproduce the problem.
I booted with a clean ISO, choose the multisession option, then I installed all the pets in your screenshot (except Google-Chrome and JavaRE - those are not in the official repo) using Package Manager. When done, I opened control panel and I enabled and started the Samba service. Then I clicked the "save session" button on the desktop, and the I rebooted, and when the computer finished rebooting I can see that the Samba service is up.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

fatdog

Fatdog64 621

#163 Post by fatdog »

Fatdog64 621 has been release. See first (or shall I say, second) post.
It is a bugfix release mainly for panning and eject problem (and a few other minor bugs); otherwise it has the same kernel and same browser version as 620.
While it is recommended for new users, existing 620 users who don't perceive any problems don't need to update.
-= The Fatdog Team (kirk, jamesbond, SFR and step) =-
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=794748#794748]Contributed Fatdog64 packages thread[/url]
This account is used for announcements only. Send PM directly to members' handle.

gcmartin

#164 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks for the follow-up.

Past post issues
I can only assume that the problem must be with using the Java PET and attempts with Chrome....which did work.

From this point on, I will stick with the Official Repo offerings to avoid troubles. Over the years, FATDOG has been very well behaved with little to no issues..

Current system
Since I restarted by installing SAMBA extras and save-session on reboot, I have not had the problems resurface. And, I have not installed the unofficial items as yet.

Question on a Google Voice PET
Iis this PET intended for the SeaMonkey browser?

Thanks

gcmartin

SAMBA in V621

#165 Post by gcmartin »

Using 621, the PPM has changed.

The SAMBA management tools are GONE from the screen (used to be called SAMBA extras for the built-in version of SAMBA). It appears that the intent was to remove the old SAMBA version reference.

Those management tools are necessary and they are not included in the built-in desktop.

Can the PPM be updated with the reference to the management tool's PET?

Here to help

gcmartin

#166 Post by gcmartin »

I have seen CDR-Tools in the PPM but, I also have noticed the versions of the tools that come with CDRecord as it is packaged in FATDOG..

Is CDR-Tools a separate package than whats included in FATDOG620/621? Or is there overlap?

Thanks in advance.

jamesbond

#167 Post by jamesbond »

gcmartin wrote:Thanks for the follow-up.
You are welcome.
Past post issues
I can only assume that the problem must be with using the Java PET and attempts with Chrome....which did work.

From this point on, I will stick with the Official Repo offerings to avoid troubles. Over the years, FATDOG has been very well behaved with little to no issues..
Fatdog's repo is limited, so this is unwise. What is wise to realise that foreign packages may cause problems and work towards solving them. If you are unsure you can always use Fatdog's sandbox. Or otherwise use a DVD+RW - if the foreign package doesn't work, just erase and start over again.
Question on a Google Voice PET
Iis this PET intended for the SeaMonkey browser?
I'll leave that question to kirk.
gcmartin wrote:Using 621, the PPM has changed.

The SAMBA management tools are GONE from the screen (used to be called SAMBA extras for the built-in version of SAMBA). It appears that the intent was to remove the old SAMBA version reference.
That definitely is *not* the intent. The packages are still there, they have never been deleted. Even the packages for Fatdog64 600 are still there. Please check again.
gcmartin wrote:I have seen CDR-Tools in the PPM but, I also have noticed the versions of the tools that come with CDRecord as it is packaged in FATDOG..

Is CDR-Tools a separate package than whats included in FATDOG620/621? Or is there overlap?
The cdrtools package in the repo is the same as the one included in Fatdog 620/621. That package is made available for those who decided to stay with older version of Fatdogs. I also noticed from your pet list - again, the "gpart" package has now been included in the base ISO, so you don't need to install it again. The information on these new and updated packages are included in the Release Notes (also forum announcement) for every release.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

gcmartin

#168 Post by gcmartin »

jamesbond wrote:
gcmartin wrote:Using 621, the PPM has changed.

That definitely is *not* the intent. The packages are still there, they have never been deleted. Even the packages for Fatdog64 600 are still there. Please check again..
Thanks Jamesbond.

SAMBA version that is in 621 is version 3.6.12. There are no Management tools, the Extras, which is separated from SAMBA available for V3.6.12 This is what's causing my confusion. The version of SAMBA that is enclosed is stable and the references to the version of SAMBA that shipped with FATDOG 520 is confusing what our steps should be so that we have a 621 with appropriate management tools.

Hope that clarifies why I ask. I did use the PPM an checked all of the REPOs starting with Ibiblio for a V3.6.12 PET to add management but find none.

QUESTION
Should the REPO's reference be updated to reflect that the entry is really for the currently installed SAMBA?

That's why I ask.

Thanks for your guidance. This is really a truly fast distro.

Ted Dog

Delta file and bluray broken in 621

#169 Post by Ted Dog »

Here is a delta file between 620 to 621 wish I had this option.
also the 58byte difference isolinux.bin breaks bluray support on fully populated iso (22Gs) :(

well sorry cant post a 2Meg delta zip anymore :(

Caneri

#170 Post by Caneri »

Ted Dog,

If you need a spot to put your files there are a few of us that have servers/places

You are welcome to put files on puppylinux.ca if you wish..others will also offer space if you need large file access.

Welcome back Ted Dog...good to see you posting again.

On another note...has anyone seen Lobster of late?

Best,
Eric

To add: russoodle and smokey01 have servers running current...ask them as well as that's the point...access.
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]