Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Ted Dog

#196 Post by Ted Dog »

ally wrote:thanks all

I thought the same, was just checking, he wouldn't let me near the machine after so couldn't try the bios and he just didn't want to play!!

:)
Linux club street cred. destroyed, hope you blamed it on Ubuntu :x

I've had mousepad stop working on the last dozen puppylinux versions (32bit) but not past reboot. Just got a new 64bit notebook with w8 (but without secure boot crap ) hope that will not be an issue.

Sage

#197 Post by Sage »

Best way to recover from touchpad woes is to plug in an USB mouse which overrides the touchpad (at least on all machines I've fixed) and let's you navigate to the appropriate settings (control panel on FD, RHclick on other Puppies) and equivalent in the devil's doings.

ally

#198 Post by ally »

hey sage

luckily another member had a usb mouse, when the machine was rebooted to windows the touchpad did not work and was not recognised in the hardware list

he had already tried ubuntu which had worked

been trying to convert peeps to puppy there for ages, more hard work ahead now

on the plus, it was FAST on his machine, very fast, booted in 9 secs to (nearly) working desktop

ally

#199 Post by ally »

@ rcrsn51

your advice worked......

Hans

VirtualBox-4.2.4-fd64_610.sfs

#200 Post by Hans »

I ran into some trouble with VirtualBox-4.2.4-fd64_610.sfs

-virtualbox says:# VirtualBox
WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module available for the current kernel (3.8.7) or it failed to load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

You will not be able to start VMs until the problem is fixed

I searched a lot for a solution but had to dig in to the problem myself.

Got VirtualBox-4.2.4-fd64_610.sfs running by doing:
Loading from system sfs loader:
fd64-devx_620.sfs
kernel-source-3.8.7.sfs

run from term:
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

VirtualBox is functional.
Now kernel-source-3.8.7.sfs can be unloaded.

I assumed all code would be in devx, no kernel-source-3.8.7.sfs needed.

Sounds familiar to someone?

Ted Dog

#201 Post by Ted Dog »

Yea, my new 64bit netbook works perfectly so far with fatdog64v621, Took out the win 8 harddrive, plugged in my portable USB DVD burner and here I am. Forgot the switch to load to ram so I can eject the DVD to play stuff, but I will next boot.

DrDeaf

#202 Post by DrDeaf »

Ted Dog wrote:Yea, my new 64bit netbook works perfectly so far with fatdog64v621, Took out the win 8 harddrive,
I went 64 bit in October and did the same thing.
Ted Dog wrote: plugged in my portable USB DVD burner and here I am. Forgot the switch to load to ram so I can eject the DVD to play stuff, but I will next boot.
I never had that issue, but it was slow. So, your new machine surely has USB3. Just put 621 on a fast flash device. It will boot very quickly and your burner will be always free.

nooby

#203 Post by nooby »

smokey01 wrote:Delta file from FD620 >>> FD621

http://www.smokey01.com/software/iso/Fa ... .iso.delta
I have no clue what one are supposed to do with delta
maybe you can have the 621 iso there too. Just a suggestion
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Ted Dog

#204 Post by Ted Dog »

DrDeaf wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:Yea, my new 64bit netbook works perfectly so far with fatdog64v621, Took out the win 8 harddrive,
Ted Dog wrote: plugged in my portable USB DVD burner and here I am. Forgot the switch to load to ram so I can eject the DVD to play stuff, but I will next boot.
I never had that issue, but it was slow. So, your new machine surely has USB3. Just put 621 on a fast flash device. It will boot very quickly and your burner will be always free.
Redid the DVD copy with the correct settings and tried the USB3, the DVD loaded like a rocket. Actually too fast, need to put a waitdev in there again.

BTW I discovered why the remaster was slower with isolinux.bin the burning progam or hybridiso patched or repatched isolinux.bin so you can't reuse the one found on the burned media, a fresh copy needs to come from /usr/share/syslinux for each remaster. :oops:

Discover this as a warning in the documentation about using level 2 with older version of other toolsets like hybridiso, or burning programs like growisofs.

Ted Dog

#205 Post by Ted Dog »

nooby wrote:

This is used to move from 620 to 621 if you already downloaded 620, the links to full 621 are on the first page of this topic, second msg from top. The delta file is to save bandwidth for us still stuck in the internet dark-age and/or pay by the bandwidth used. The delta between the last two versions is less than 2MB :lol:

nooby

#206 Post by nooby »

google to rescue here
Upgrading your Puppy using .delta files...
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58435
but points to this text which worked
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52232

I make a quote in case others wants to know
Save the original .iso and the new .delta in the same directory, this is not essential but will save some searching time
* Simply click the .delta file and the Xdelta gui will appear

* Click GENERATE
* You should see a green splash screen indicating that the new file is generated and there will be a new .iso file in the same directory as the .delta file. Again, compare the checksum with the one provided by the developer. All should be well.
* You can now proceed to burn your new iso image with your favourite burning software.
/quote
Last edited by nooby on Sat 18 May 2013, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#207 Post by gcmartin »

DrDeaf wrote:
This is just a side note on running using Live Media disc for normal system operations. There are some real obvious advantages, but, booting time is the least of any concern for running a FATDOG system. I have been using FATDOG, LightHOUSE64 and other PUPs continuously and consistently without the need to install to any HDD/USB. I have a Laptop running LH64 which hasn't been rebooted in months. My old FD521 system ran for about a year never being rebooted. And most of the systems I bring up excepting those I boot for test, remain up for quite long times.

In review, the minute of so it takes to boot is of little consequence in my use of FD/LH64/any-PUPs, as they usually remain up for days on end. 1 minute!

This is only of point that most of all already know about booting (and correspondingly "shutdowns")

So all HDDs/USBs in use on my local systems where Linux runs do not have any Operating Systems. Thus, they ONLY have data....user data. Not one has a resident OS. And, I think all of us understand the benefit of that.

The ability to run the OS in RAM with session persistence to live media disc is phenomenal. This is the primary reason, I was attracted away from Knoppix to Puppy many years ago.

I also have a running multi-user XP OS that boots and runs from Live media DVD disc. It does not offer persistence in the way Puppy distros do, but, it does work well

My laptops go to sleep and wakes as needed, so, I rarely (almost never) have to reboot it for any Puppy Linux I deploy there.

One final gem that exist in FDs: Netbooting; JameBond created the ability to boot distros over the LAN without the need to, again, "install FD or PUPs on the local PCs". This has also been extremely useful if I want to do a quick test of any PUPs. (There is a easy to use guide that has been around since he created that work of art and is referenced in the forum.) That tool made it extremely easy to use for anyone who can read the guide. It sets up simply and runs smoothly. Personally, even though there are some minor short-comings, it has been an extremely powerful solution requiring no LAN changes or any special considerations for its use to boot machines that are wired to any of our local LANs.

For those who would want to run directly from CD/DVD or the faster Blu-ray, this is a reasonable and safe approach to running most if not all PUPs.

This post, again, is FYI only.

ally

#208 Post by ally »

hey nooby

have the original iso and the delta in the same location

click the delta and it creates the new iso by joining the two

1 click and your sorted

nooby

#209 Post by nooby »

Sorry one need to be very careful it is different from other puppies
in how it deal with the save file but not I finally got it to work Sorry

smokey01

#210 Post by smokey01 »

nooby wrote:Sorry one need to be very careful it is different from other puppies
in how it deal with the save file but not I finally got it to work Sorry
nooby, maybe this will make it easier to understand.

http://www.smokey01.com/videos/diff-files.mpeg

Ted Dog

#211 Post by Ted Dog »

ECHO what gcmartin stated, one great thing running from RAM with this newest FD64 is you close the lid and it go into suspend mode, and on lid up and a keypress its instantly back live. I've gotten into the habit with my first run in RAM netbook and it would stay 'alive' disconnected from power weeks in suspend mode with lid-down. Sadly the old netbook is not 64bit and newer kernels and/or settings in last years Woof builds do not allow this option.
Ideally would like to set up a Fatdog version to fast boot from spare space on EFI portion run in RAM and be able to save back to DVD (or Bluray once I can afford a USB3 burner) First order of business is to MAX out the RAM for this netbook to 8Gs. I purposely got the cheaper model with only 2G and tiny by Win8 320G HD. The HD will be reused after storing a compressed drive image (on Bluray of course )

It takes me about 2-3 months to fill a multisession DVD with normal activity. Thats only 4Gs with a 8G RAM I could go a number of months.
Would also like the option to remote save-session to a bluray drive on another machine. (I have done something like this with nc years ago)

Hans

jack audio kit

#212 Post by Hans »

I discovered I had no sound and found out that disabeling script /etc/init.d/jackd solved the issue.

I tried renaming jackd so it would come after alsa, and with a big sleep in the script but this did not help. I think I installed jack audio kit because it was required by another package (mplayer? Needed that for memcoder) so I think disabling the deamon is not a problem for me, I do not use mplayer. But for mplayer users it would be nice if it got fixed, right?

cheers

nooby

#213 Post by nooby »

Smokey thanks, I did find that part it was the unusual thing
that FD place the save file directly on /mnt/home/
instead on /mnt/home/fd64 where I expected it to end up
and that it forced me to change ext4 to ext3 in two places
where i expected on only one place. Old habits that got challenged.

And the worst for a real absolute noob.

It changed my hardware clock so now it goes the wrong time
even on Lupu and i don't know how to set it correct.

sure it is my own fault but I am not good at reading instructions
and it introduce new things that I am not used to.

so now i have to try to find all the old instructions on how to set Lupu time
correct and I would not dare to boot into FD again because then
I am back with the wrong time and don't know how to set it straight again.

jamesbond

#214 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:
nooby wrote:

This is used to move from 620 to 621 if you already downloaded 620, the links to full 621 are on the first page of this topic, second msg from top. The delta file is to save bandwidth for us still stuck in the internet dark-age and/or pay by the bandwidth used. The delta between the last two versions is less than 2MB :lol:
We may create delta files for next release if the size of the delta file itself is not too big. Meanwhile, thanks for smokey01 for providing the delta.
Ted Dog wrote:BTW I discovered why the remaster was slower with isolinux.bin the burning progam or hybridiso patched or repatched isolinux.bin so you can't reuse the one found on the burned media, a fresh copy needs to come from /usr/share/syslinux for each remaster. :oops:

Discover this as a warning in the documentation about using level 2 with older version of other toolsets like hybridiso, or burning programs like growisofs.
Odd, if you look at /usr/sbin/fatdog-remaster.sh, in function create_remaster (around line 449), you will see that it does copy a fresh new isolinux.bin from /usr/share/syslinux ... :shock:
Hans wrote:I discovered I had no sound and found out that disabeling script /etc/init.d/jackd solved the issue.

I tried renaming jackd so it would come after alsa, and with a big sleep in the script but this did not help. I think I installed jack audio kit because it was required by another package (mplayer? Needed that for memcoder) so I think disabling the deamon is not a problem for me, I do not use mplayer. But for mplayer users it would be nice if it got fixed, right?

cheers
mplayer pulls jackd because it needs the jack library (that's how it was compiled - I think). It certainly doesn't need jackd 'service' to run at all. Btw if install mplayer you also need to install lives_support.pet --- the dependency isn't auto-detected because files in lives_support used to be inside the base ISO; they were pulled out in 610 release or so and re-packaged into this pet.

Btw, when jackd runs no other alsa app can have sound - because jackd takes over sound devices exclusively. Only jack applications can have sound when jackd is running.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Hans

#215 Post by Hans »

JamesBond wrote:

Btw, when jackd runs no other alsa app can have sound - because jackd takes over sound devices exclusively. Only jack applications can have sound when jackd is running
Yup, I found out the hard way. In the process of digging for a solution I somehow managed to F*&@ up the install. Somehow the hald process got screwed up, lsmod only gave 4 modules. Bummer. But I had a backup uf the savefile so no harm done. Another lesson learned.

Did you see my previous post about virtualbox?

Is it normal for this sfs to need the kernel source? I would think it would be part of devx. At first I thought devx was not fully loaded.

cheers