Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 31 Jul 2014, 23:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 19 of 29 [431 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
Ibidem

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013, 10:58    Post subject: Re: Sound card issues again  

Snail wrote:
I restarted with a clean no-savefile boot. Set up again and made a new savefile. There are no .asoundrc files. The "Problem with sound capture " message no longer appears but problems remain, the mic is not usable. It is working in both Skype and mhWaveEdit, but the gain is tiny, mhWaveEdit shows almost a flat line when recording.

Speaker volume is a bit low too but is bearable, mic is not.

The soundcard is a HDA Intel Chip: Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa)

The mic works fine when running win 7 ultimate (64bit), on this lenovo T400 laptop, about the only thing in Windows that does!

Here are my alsamixer settings:

Ty turning down the right side capture (press "c").
Odd, but for some hardware it's needed.
Snail

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013, 16:27    Post subject: More Sound detail  

My mic/sound working at all but so poorly reminds me of a driver issue I had using Win 7 ultimate on this same laptop. The mic lost gain all of a suddden. It was not nearly as bad as it is with Fatdog, it was still usable but I had to speak very loudly to use Skype. Googling revealed that the problem was a driver update pushed by Lenovo and a roll back to the previous driver was a total fix. Since this proves that there is at least one very bad "official" driver out there, presumably written by Conexant, maybe the Linux driver is also a dud? Is there another driver i could try?
Snail

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013, 16:35    Post subject: Mic again  

Hi Ibidem,

Thanks for your reply. Can you clarify? I do not understand your instruction.
chapchap70

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013, 16:49    Post subject: Re: Sound card issues again  

Snail wrote:
I restarted with a clean no-savefile boot. Set up again and made a new savefile. There are no .asoundrc files. The "Problem with sound capture " message no longer appears but problems remain, the mic is not usable. It is working in both Skype and mhWaveEdit, but the gain is tiny, mhWaveEdit shows almost a flat line when recording.

Speaker volume is a bit low too but is bearable, mic is not.

The soundcard is a HDA Intel Chip: Conexant CX20561 (Hermosa)

The mic works fine when running win 7 ultimate (64bit), on this lenovo T400 laptop, about the only thing in Windows that does!

Here are my alsamixer settings:

I have had problems getting Skype to work in Linux in the past while other video applications were working. How does your mic work with VLC?

VLC recognized and was able to record with an old camera but Skype did not record/capture using video1 like VLC did.
Snail

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013, 17:47    Post subject: Skype  

Hi chapchap70,

Skype seems to be working fine. The camera is also fine. Note, I'm using the camera and mic that are built-in to this laptop, not a separate camera. The sound problem isn't confined to Skype, mhWaveEdit has the exact same problem. So either there is a mic driver problem or I'm doing something wrong . I'm hoping the latter but have no idea at the moment.

I'm not familiar with VLC. The Fatdog version doesn't appear to offer sound recording. There is no sign of a record button.
smokey01

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013, 18:07    Post subject: Re: Skype  

Snail wrote:

I'm not familiar with VLC. The Fatdog version doesn't appear to offer sound recording. There is no sign of a record button.

Under the View Menu item, tick advanced controls. Now you can record anything you can watch.

chapchap70

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013, 21:48    Post subject:  

After opening VLC, click on "Media" then "Open Capture Device". If you click "Play" on the bottom of the window, you should be able to see yourself via your built in camera and any noise you make should play through the computer speakers if your mic is working.

The dropdown menu by the "Play" button should have a "Convert" choice. That will enable to save a recording as a file.

I don't have to enter anything into my "Device Selection" fields but the defaults on mine are:

Video : dev/video0 (I believe dev/video is a symlink to dev/video0)
Audio is hw:0,0

Edit: If you have access to a USB webcam, VLC should see this as dev/video1 and hw:0,1

I would think that if the USB webcam plays in Skype with sound, than that would confirm that it is a driver issue with your built in mic.
Sage

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013, 03:25    Post subject:  

Surprising to see so many folks still using Skype since it was acquired by M$, especially as so much work and advice has been given previously on (P)SIP. Maybe one can't stop GCHQ and the CIA from intercepting video footage of one's beautiful countenance (and use it match with CCTV coverage?!), but I'd prefer that it didn't get added to the Hanford server farm repository...
DC

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013, 03:29    Post subject: Num Lock  

Hi everbody,

Could somebody remind me how to set the numlock to on at boot up

thanks

DC

Snail

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013, 04:44    Post subject: VLC try  

Thanks to you all for the help so far. VLC records and plays video just fine, although not great for rapid movement on my system. Plays both video at full speed and sound from .wmv file and sound from .mp3 files. Sound is not recorded, or at least not at audible levels.

So still no success with the mic. Seems pretty certain now that it's a driver issue.

Help! I really don't want to have to use Windows on this system any more, Quite apart from the distasteful ethics of MS, the OS is just crawling now. Setting up Fatdog wasn't all plain sailing but it was a breeze compared with trying and failing to delouse win 7 and keeping it deloused will be an ongoing battle even if I succeed this time. All except this mic issue that is.
Snail

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013, 04:54    Post subject: Numlock  

There is a Numlockx pet in the package manager.
DC

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013, 05:18    Post subject:  

Hi Snail,

I know about the pet,
But I've a memory of fatdog asking do you want numlock in the start configuration. Implying the function is built in. I can't find any reference to it. In other words how do you rerun the start configuration?

thanks

DC

Snail

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013, 05:44    Post subject: Mic fixed  

It works! I feel really dumb. I didn't realise that for sound capture, the initial alsamixer screen is useless. I just discovered that hitting "F4" you get an entirely new screen that had most of the mic sliders at zero. I just set them all to 100% and now it works.

In my defense, the alsamixer interface is just horrid. What for instance is the function of the mic slider on the playback screen for heavens' sake? And hitting the speaker icon on the taskbar opens alsamixer not maximised, which hides the two RHS sliders, and there is no slider at the bottom to indicate that there is anything more to see. I've wasted hours on this crap and it was completely unnecessary.
Snail

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013, 06:08    Post subject: Numlock  

Hi DC,

Sorry, I can't find it myself.

Why can't every pup developer just implement upgrades to the Lucid 528 user interface? Playdayz and 01micko did great on that one, nothing else I've seen since is quite as good, as far a user help and interface friendliness goes. Not knocking Fatdog, it's still wonderful, especially the speed, but I'm spending a lot of time learning my way around the differences. A bit more help with the initial installation would make it a lot more accessible for win refugees too.
smokey01

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013, 07:58    Post subject:  

Snail there is quite a lot of help built in that explains most things.

In my repository there is a help file called "how to do stuff in Fatdog" that should be of assistance.

Retrovol is also in my repository, which I find better than Alsamixer.

In the Fatdog package manager select smokey01.com

Cheers

Page 19 of 29 [431 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: