Fatdog64-620 Final (17 April 2013) and 621 (9 May 2013)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Q5sys

#91 Post by Q5sys »

Ted Dog wrote:THIS WAS POSTED USING A MULTISESSION BLU-RAY FATDOG64 WITH FILES AND DIRECTORIES LARGER THAN A SINGLE DVD COULD SUPPORT
Ok I'm curious... what file do you have on your Puppy BluRay that's larger than 4.3gb?
Do you have a super massive save file? :shock: lol

Ted Dog

#92 Post by Ted Dog »

Usually its my windows partitions, database backups, commercial filled video captures from my HDTV tuner card, family videos that desperately need a pass with an editor.. big ziplike files from my various website endeavors, You know priceless crap like that. :lol:

Q5sys

#93 Post by Q5sys »

Ted Dog wrote:Usually its my windows partitions, database backups, commercial filled video captures from my HDTV tuner card, family videos that desperately need a pass with an editor.. big ziplike files from my various website endeavors, You know priceless crap like that. :lol:
ya know... they make these new things called... "portable hard drives". ;)
haha just teasing.

Ted Dog

#94 Post by Ted Dog »

Q5sys wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:Usually its my windows partitions, database backups, commercial filled video captures from my HDTV tuner card, family videos that desperately need a pass with an editor.. big ziplike files from my various website endeavors, You know priceless crap like that. :lol:
ya know... they make these new things called... "portable hard drives". ;)
haha just teasing.
Bluray-R is cheaper per G. Plus you do not need to figure-out what stays and what goes. :lol:

Also after on 1.5T WD portable hard drive decided on its own to continue to suck power but refuses to communicate with the outside world, I've become paranoid. My much older 1.5 Seagate brick (with extra power brick) started to seem off It took 3 days and 48 bluray discs to backup (cost for 50 was $28 ) It's still alive, but everything on it at that time was safe!!!!

Liboicl

#95 Post by Liboicl »

I have a couple of comments.

First of all, as of 6.0.0, I believe, the initrd has contained the base and mosule sfs files. This makes the initrd file huge. I have a 10MB boot partition and I have to edit the initrd, move the files, and modify the init script with every release. This is very tedious. I preferred the previous releases with the files already separate.

Secondly, I upgraded from 6.0.1 to this one and it takes about 40 seconds after boot for my mouse and keyboard to start working. On 6.0.1 they both worked instantaneously. They are both USB devices.
[url=http://tehgroup.org/repo]Additional .pet packages[/url]

Sage

#96 Post by Sage »

safe
Contentious? I'd like to get advice on the comparitive technologies.
Subjectively, I have perfectly preserved floppies from the '80s, kept at room temperature in a dark dust-free enclosure. Slightly younger IDE hard discs in perfect readable order. Expecting at least a century of ditto, excepting solar flares, house conflagration and asteroid hits.
Then there's optical (and magnetic with floppies!) storage - thin metal films onto an organic substrate.
Looks like another battle between metallurgists and organic chemists?! Hieroglyphs on clay might be a better choice?
I know which one I'm backing.

Ted Dog

#97 Post by Ted Dog »

yea safe if kept that way, and still readable decades later. CD's from the 80s still can be played on the bluray drive, impossible to find sana floppy drives, IDE are going the same way.. Few more years and that technology of IDE will disappear. Also optical media do not contain microchips so, bad xray, gamma burst, EMP attack, near miss with an asteroid, Carrington effect, magnetic reversal etc. Even with some damage other data can still be read. :roll:

Now kids with sticky fingers, microwave ovens, burn side up left on the dash of your car in TX summer, strong lasers spell doom for optical.

kirk

#98 Post by kirk »

I've attached a pet that should fix the optical eject problem.
Attachments
eject-fix.pet
Fixes eject for desktop optical drives.
(2.34 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

rcrsn51

#99 Post by rcrsn51 »

kirk wrote:I've attached a pet that should fix the optical eject problem.
Thanks. It works for me.

[Edit] It also works with a USB optical drive. But it needed a reboot before the "eject" command would work properly.

Gobbi

#100 Post by Gobbi »

kirk wrote:I've attached a pet that should fix the optical eject problem.
Thank you kirk ! It works also in my case :D

live

#101 Post by live »

Stupid, but how do you WiFi connect with this puppy?

In precise, Ok, but there interface puzzels me

ally

#102 Post by ally »

hey live

right click on the wifi icon on bottom right of taskbar > setup networking

also internet wizard in control panel > network

:)

DrDeaf

UEFI

#103 Post by DrDeaf »

As UEFI was discussed during the beta period, I looked at it a bit and I have a question. If my machine only boots from "clean" "read only" ISO images, does UEFI have any benefit for that environment?

I just want to be sure that I fully understood the stuff I read back then.
TIA

kirk

#104 Post by kirk »

Stupid, but how do you WiFi connect with this puppy?
See the FAQs http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... rking.html also found on the browser's home page.

As UEFI was discussed during the beta period, I looked at it a bit and I have a question. If my machine only boots from "clean" "read only" ISO images, does UEFI have any benefit for that environment?
UEFI is a replacement firmware for BIOS that's found on newer computers. You ether have it or you don't, though some UEFI implementations do have a legacy (BIOS) mode. Fatdog64-620 will boot on BIOS computers or UEFI computers.

Gobbi

#105 Post by Gobbi »

I unchecked 'Sofware mixing (shared access)' from the second window after I chose the sound card from
Control Panel/Sound/Fatdog64 Set Default Sound Card and the annoying nasty noise from my HDMI output doesn't bother me anymore . Now my Sapphire HD 7870 XT works great in Fatdog64 620 . :D

About the watermark from AMD :arrow: Catalyst 13.4 is available now.
kirk , could you make another pet of it , when you find some time , please :?: :oops:

live

#106 Post by live »

How do I Wifi connect

I scanned the network, but how do I connect to the chosen one???

kirk

#107 Post by kirk »

How do I Wifi connect
Quote:

I scanned the network, but how do I connect to the chosen one???
No, just left click on it and follow the instructions in the FAQs: http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... rking.html

Again, the web page above is included with Fatdog64, it's on the home page under FAQs.

kirk , could you make another pet of it , when you find some time , please
Yep, it's now in the repo. This is one I can't test, let me know if it's broke.

Gnuxo

#108 Post by Gnuxo »

Hi, I was trying to change my keyboard layout to Russian for some quick work but when I tried to change the xkbmap, it would cause me to be unable to type at all, and I'd have to reset X.

I looked through the locales and realized that russian isn't even included...

Is there someway to add more languages?\\

Edit: Ok nevermind. Russian is included in the keyboard layouts but whenever I try to change it, I'm unable to type at all. It's not detected.
Something is wrong with the russian language in Fatdog64

DrDeaf

#109 Post by DrDeaf »

kirk wrote:
UEFI is a replacement firmware for BIOS that's found on newer computers. You ether have it or you don't, though some UEFI implementations do have a legacy (BIOS) mode. Fatdog64-620 will boot on BIOS computers or UEFI computers.
Thanks for the response, Kirk.
I should have given more information. I do have a machine that will boot either way and I have it set to accept either. Without any change in settings, FD610 and 620 each boot no problem. My question came from my recollection of the reading I did during the early beta time and my recollection of the purpose of UEFI as I understood it.

As I recall UEFI boots only with signed code and is intended to prevent maliciously corrupted access to the machine. Yes? Is there more that relates to FatDog64 that perhaps I did not understand? Further, since I boot only from a "clean" "read only" ISO and do not use a "savefile" does UEFI benefit my environment?
Thanks again!

jamesbond

#110 Post by jamesbond »

DrDeaf wrote:As I recall UEFI boots only with signed code and is intended to prevent maliciously corrupted access to the machine. Yes?
Incorrect. Don't confuse UEFI with SecureBoot.
Is there more that relates to FatDog64 that perhaps I did not understand?
Fatdog64 can boot on SecureBoot environment but it doesn't bring any supposed "benefits" of SecureBoot (whatever the "benefits" are).
Further, since I boot only from a "clean" "read only" ISO and do not use a "savefile" does UEFI benefit my environment?
In this *very particular scenario*, no, there is no benefit choosing to boot Fatdog with UEFI over booting Fatdog with BIOS mode.
Gnuxo wrote:Edit: Ok nevermind. Russian is included in the keyboard layouts but whenever I try to change it, I'm unable to type at all. It's not detected.
Something is wrong with the russian language in Fatdog64
As far as locales are concerned, I'm sorry to say that Fatdog64 is English only.
Additional locales are available from the package manager and also on the devx - load the devx, set the appropriate locales and then you can unload devx, of you wish, but there is no localisation/internationalisation in Fatdog64.
Keyboard layouts are supposed to work, but both myself and kirk only understand one layout so we rely on people like you to confirm whether it work (or not) and hopefully over a fix if not.

EDIT: seems that you need to enable an UTF-8 locale before you can use the Russian keyboard layout. I tested using en_AU.UTF-8 locale, restart X as suggested, and after that I changed the keyboard layout to Standard Russia. Opening terminal, I can then type some characters.
liboicl wrote:First of all, as of 6.0.0, I believe, the initrd has contained the base and mosule sfs files. This makes the initrd file huge. I have a 10MB boot partition and I have to edit the initrd, move the files, and modify the init script with every release. This is very tedious. I preferred the previous releases with the files already separate.
You don't have to edit the initrd manually. There is a CLI tool called "fatdog-split-initrd.sh" to do that for you. Okay, I concede we'll probably need a FAQ entry on this :)
Secondly, I upgraded from 6.0.1 to this one and it takes about 40 seconds after boot for my mouse and keyboard to start working. On 6.0.1 they both worked instantaneously. They are both USB devices.
? Can you elaborate?
Gobbi wrote:I unchecked 'Sofware mixing (shared access)' from the second window after I chose the sound card from
Control Panel/Sound/Fatdog64 Set Default Sound Card and the annoying nasty noise from my HDMI output doesn't bother me anymore . Now my Sapphire HD 7870 XT works great in Fatdog64 620 .
Thank you. I am under the impression that everybody knows that when using HDMI, the software mixing should be turned off ... :oops:
JustGreg wrote: USB 2.0 Device Booting
Thank you for the testing the USB booting in USB boot. This is very useful information, we should get this information documented in a more permanent place, let me think ...
spandey wrote:You are right, the routing table is not correct.
I need to look at pppoe stuff, but I won't have the time for that now :(
Can you try this: type "route add default gw x.x.x.x" where x.x.x.x is the the second IP address on ppp0 interface (the one you get from ifconfig ppp0), and see if you can ping 8.8.8.8 after this?
gcmartin wrote:Server Manager (SAMBA, et.al)
Further review of the Server manager shows that the server I "disabled" remained disabled while the servers I enable and started did not show enabled/restarted after save-session during reboot. Specifically crond, ntp, samba.
I've just tested on a fresh ISO, booted up with "multisession" option, enable all the 3 services (crond, ntp, samba), reboot (and saving the session), and everything came back running after that :?

EDIT: update info for gnuxo.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]