Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 07:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Slacko vs Precise
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Fallingwater

PostPosted: Sun 21 Apr 2013, 19:25    Post_subject:  Slacko vs Precise  

I'm not a newbie, but I suppose this question is n00b-ish enough that it should go in this subforum.

I can't quite figure out why I should prefer one over the other. I understand the key difference that one draws from Slackware packages and the other one from Ubuntu ones, but what does this entail from a practical point of view?

Any performance difference at all between them?
AndyOpie150

PostPosted: Mon 22 Apr 2013, 14:55    Post_subject:  

I'm trying to set up a build environment for Android ROM's and kernels on a Puppy Distro from a USB drive (maybe later develop apps).

Precise is the only way to go that I can see.
Fallingwater

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013, 15:02    Post_subject:  

Ok, but what about generic use? I have no need for superspecialized things like building stuff for Android.
ICPUG

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013, 15:58    Post_subject:  

Only 2 things as far as I can see.

1) You are more likely to get packages from the Precise repository working with Precise and packages from the Slackware repository working on Slacko. So if your favourite software is not in both repositories then your choice is made.

2) The developers of each version will each have their personal preferences. If you prefer one developer over another then the choice is made again.

In any event it will all change again when the next version of Puppy comes along with a different developer!
simargl

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013, 17:11    Post_subject: Re: Slacko vs Precise  

Edited_time_total
Bruce B

PostPosted: Wed 24 Apr 2013, 17:48    Post_subject: Re: Slacko vs Precise  

Fallingwater wrote:
I can't quite figure out why I should prefer one over the other. I understand the key difference that one draws from Slackware packages and the other one from Ubuntu ones, but what does this entail from a practical point of view?

Generally I build my own software from the source packages. IF it is an easy and straight forward build and doesn't confuse or take all day. OTHERWISE I use a binary package.

If I use a binary package, I will usually use (1) a pet package hosted on an FTP server Barry and associates use for sharing their files. (2) A Debian package. (3) A Slackware package. (4) Odds and ends if the other options don't lend themselves right.

From a practical perspective:

* I do manual installs

* Sometimes the directory tree varies from the package and files need to be put in a different location than the packager intended.

* I run into some dependency problems on occasions and have to add extra files not included in the package.

Most people maybe use some kind of point and click installation method and if everything was done right by the user, the distro developer and the packager, this would be seamless and work nearly all of the time.

But I think reality is much less than perfect in many ways. I think it realistic to expect some snags and have to manually solve some problems.

~~

PS I stay away from anything and everything Ubuntu. I think my life is a bit easier due to my avoidance.

raffy

PostPosted: Thu 25 Apr 2013, 01:10    Post_subject: PHAT slacko  

PHAT Slacko will close the choice, as it ships ready with many applications. It also has a new-ish Linux kernel.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum