Major advance in Bluray multisession effort.

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
Ted Dog

#46 Post by Ted Dog »

I think we need some long name support as Rockridge would. UDF would not really be needed from a data point of view. I found that a windows free software runs under wine that will be a workaround if any one wants to make true video player UDF video with in puppy. - :wink:

Ted Dog

#47 Post by Ted Dog »

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha ... 13.tar.bz2

Could someone make a pet of this package for 32bit? to see if we came reduplicate the success so far for the 32biters still left behind.

rcrsn51

#48 Post by rcrsn51 »

Ted Dog wrote:ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha ... 13.tar.bz2. Could someone make a pet of this package for 32bit?
Slacko 5.5 has cdrtools 3.01a08. That should be a good testbed.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 05 May 2013, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.

zigbert

#49 Post by zigbert »

rcrsn51 wrote:
zigbert wrote:Do we need the Rockridge ????
In my tests using "iso-level 4", I still need Rock Ridge to provide upper/lower case filenames, in Linux.

[Edit] Somehow, XP was able to see the full upper/lower case filenames.
My intention is to keep Rockridge always for level 4 and never for level 1. Like that, there is no option for the user.

Sigmund

jamesbond

#50 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:I think we need some long name support as Rockridge would. UDF would not really be needed from a data point of view. I found that a windows free software runs under wine that will be a workaround if any one wants to make true video player UDF video with in puppy. - :wink:
Yes, imgburn is a good one. It was one of my favorites when I was still addicted to Windows :)
zigbert wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
zigbert wrote:Do we need the Rockridge ????
In my tests using "iso-level 4", I still need Rock Ridge to provide upper/lower case filenames, in Linux.

[Edit] Somehow, XP was able to see the full upper/lower case filenames.
My intention is to keep Rockridge always for level 4 and never for level 1. Like that, there is no option for the user.
rcrsn51 is right. Rockridge is required not only for long filenames but also for other Unix stuff like permissions, more fine-grained timestamps, symlinks, etc.
My recommendation is to *always* enable rockridge (RR) no matter what iso-level you use. It does no harm for compatibility (those who don't understand RR simply ignore it or pretend that it doesn't exist), and the additional space taken is infinitesimal. Anyway, what feature do you plan to offer that makes use of "iso-level 1"?
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

zigbert

#51 Post by zigbert »

My recommendation is to *always* enable rockridge

Got it - thank you
Anyway, what feature do you plan to offer that makes use of "iso-level 1"?
I think pBUrn can use isolevel 4 by default, but isolevel 1 is most compatible with whatever os out there, I see it logical to give an extra option.

"Use 8.3 naming of files for backward compatibility"
- Ok, that sentence is awful, but still my intention :)

edit: what about
"Use old file-naming (8.3) to work on older systems."

Sigmund

jamesbond

#52 Post by jamesbond »

zigbert wrote:I think pBUrn can use isolevel 4 by default, but isolevel 1 is most compatible with whatever os out there, I see it logical to give an extra option.
Agreed.
"Use 8.3 naming of files for backward compatibility"
- Ok, that sentence is awful, but still my intention :)

edit: what about
"Use old file-naming (8.3) to work on older systems."
How about:
"Rename files to comply with DOS 8.3 filename convention"? Googling for "DOS 8.3 filename convention" brings you straight to the Wikipedia article about it (or, if you can do it from gtkdialog, you may want to provide a URL link directly to that wikipedia page).

Alternatively:
"Most basic ISO 9660 specification (limited features but most compatible with all operating systems)"

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Ted Dog

Blu-ray testing attracts T-Storms

#53 Post by Ted Dog »

I went into town to download the new Fatdog64v621 at a family member with high-speed cable internet. Had a good simple supper with them, and when I got back, saw flashes of distant lightening. Like a magnet drawn to metal a megacell cloud started six counties over is heading my direction. Now a under a Severe Thunder Storm Warning and one eye is on the TV radar, and other on the burn time remaining....

gcmartin

#54 Post by gcmartin »

zigbert wrote:... As I see it right now:
- Replace isolevel 3 with isolevel 4, and remove the Joilet options. Do we need the Rockridge ???? Remove udf as well.
- Keep isolevel 1 for backward compatibility
- Depend on cdrtools ONLY
- burning video, filesystem settings are not available for user, so not any issue with udf here...

This would make it all easier for the user (Less options).

Any opinions?
Sigmund
Seems reasonable. And, as pointed out by @Rcrsn51 RR also maps.

Here to help

disciple

#55 Post by disciple »

Fwiw:

unless you want to be downward compatible with Win95/98 (shudder!)
this would make it all easier for the user (less options)

Options aren't hard if it is obvious what they are for (and perhaps any downsides) e.g. if an option has a label or tooltip saying "long filename support on win95/98" or something. And an option for downward compatibility with Win98 isn't such a bad idea when some of your users are still using machines from that era. Just the other day someone was asking here for help installing NT3 or something... ;)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Flash
Official Dog Handler

Re: Blu-ray testing attracts T-Storms

#56 Post by Flash »

Ted Dog wrote:...when I got back, saw flashes of distant lightening. Like a magnet drawn to metal a megacell cloud started six counties over is heading my direction. Now a under a Severe Thunder Storm Warning and one eye is on the TV radar, and other on the burn time remaining....
Ted, did you make it under the wire? :lol:

jamesbond

Re: Blu-ray testing attracts T-Storms

#57 Post by jamesbond »

Flash wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:...when I got back, saw flashes of distant lightening. Like a magnet drawn to metal a megacell cloud started six counties over is heading my direction. Now a under a Severe Thunder Storm Warning and one eye is on the TV radar, and other on the burn time remaining....
Ted, did you make it under the wire? :lol:
May be the storm affected the burn resulting in unworkable bluray ... :?

That being said, multisession save is now logged in /dev/initrd.err (this file is not persisted across reboots). If you want to see what's the result coming from the "final" multisession save at shutdown, instead of doing a real shutdown, type kill -3 1 instead. That will tell init to shutdown everything like real, but instead of powering off it will give you a console at the end, and you can inspect the result of the final save in /dev/initrd.err. From here, type /sbin/poweroff -f to poweroff, or /sbin/reboot -f to reboot. If you want to stay around in that console for longer, /bin/mount -t proc proc /proc might make it more comfortable otherwise you will have to prefix everything with the full path (e.g. /bin/ls etc).

gcmartin

#58 Post by gcmartin »

I thought this might interest some. Apps-on-Blu-Ray

Interesting use for external Blu-Ray devices. Free tools for PC users, too.

Here to help

Ted Dog

#59 Post by Ted Dog »

I have a eye on external blu-ray for my new 64bit Netbook, but I think I'll make a remote save session first. seems easy enough. Almost the entire work is already in Fatdog64 multisession code. Came across how to feed a cdrecord burn stream to a remote burner. Network is faster than burn rate so it would work. :wink:

Yes I made it under the wire on the burns weeks ago. I Added md5sum check code to my burn/build scripts, was checking them just after a burn, but last night the weather people said storms tonight so I been skipping the 20min check to get done backing up a 500GB hybrid drive for reuse by now. Second to last one (18 discs) just completed. The final one is not maxed out so I'm looking for stuff to fill it.

jamesbond

#60 Post by jamesbond »

Ted Dog wrote:Came across how to feed a cdrecord burn stream to a remote burner.
Interesting :D Care to share? :D Are you using netcat or something?

Ted Dog

#61 Post by Ted Dog »

jamesbond wrote:
Ted Dog wrote:Came across how to feed a cdrecord burn stream to a remote burner.
code has ssh wrapper at I saw set up a pipe then send it to ssh with a command string to run on remote computer that calls another cdrecord to finish.
Have not even tried yet networking setup has always been my main weekness I read up on it and just follow someones example.

rcrsn51

#62 Post by rcrsn51 »

jamesbond wrote:
I tried this using netcat and it works!

On the receiving machine (the one with the burner) run

Code: Select all

nc -l -p 1234 | growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/stdin
On the sending machine (the one with the data) run

mkisofs [options] source_folder |  nc -w 1 aaa.bbb.cc.dd 1234
where aaa.bbb.cc.dd is the IP address of the receiving machine.

Ted Dog

#63 Post by Ted Dog »

lol, that remote burn development was fast. That saves some money wonder how we can send a multisession after first burn.

gcmartin

#64 Post by gcmartin »

rcrsn51 wrote:
jamesbond wrote:
I tried this using netcat and it works!

On the receiving machine (the one with the burner) run

nc -l -p 1234 | growisofs -Z /dev/sr0=/dev/stdin
On the sending machine (the one with the data) run

mkisofs [options] source_folder |  nc -w 1 aaa.bbb.cc.dd 1234
where aaa.bbb.cc.dd is the IP address of the receiving machine.
Very interesting approach as it sets the Bluray PC for receiving its data via sysin, while having the non-Bluray PC to "drive" the data. Netcat becomes the LAN subsystem active on both PCs which is the data carrier between each.
Ted Dog wrote: ... wonder how we can send a multisession after first burn.
I think you use

growisfs -M ....
Very clever!!! Thanks @Rcrsn51

rcrsn51

#65 Post by rcrsn51 »

Ted Dog wrote: wonder how we can send a multisession after first burn.
I don't think that it's possible using the netcat procedure. But here is an alternative.

1. Start a Samba server on the sending machine. The shared folder should contain the target data or a symlink to it.

2. Run a Samba client on the receiving machine and open the share.

3. Burn the data as usual.