Sound for Skype & Slacko==>(SOLVED)

Booting, installing, newbie
Antipodal

Sound for Skype & Slacko==>(SOLVED)

#1 Post by Antipodal »

I'm having trouble with using Skype with my Slacko 5.3.3.
I have never used it in a Linux environment. But I have (long time ago, for a very short call) in a M$ one.

I have downloaded skype_static-2.2.0.99.sfs, checked md5sum, and installed it.
It has allowed me to reach Skype's "End User Licence Agreement" window and my "antipodal - Skype TM (Beta)" window. I have enough credit in my account.
I have clicked on the "Echo / Sound Test Service" line and then on the "Call Contact" icon and done the test but failed.
After that, the voice that guides you during the test, suggests checking the microphone and microphone settings or visiting skype.com
I have ruled out problems with my microphone (it works on another device)

:oops: I dont know how to check my microphone settings. :oops:

I have visited skype.com and have been led to a URL that helps users of a specific linux distro and warns that its instructions may not work for other distros.
I have confirmed the latter is true.

Googling, I have found no results when (in the search box) I have typed "How to check microphone settings" site:http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/

I will continue my search with other words, other syntax and possibly with some other search engines or methods.

But, in the mean time, if you know how to do it and can post it here or you can provide any other assistance, your efforts will be greatly appreciated.
:)
Antipodal
Last edited by Antipodal on Wed 13 Mar 2013, 04:53, edited 2 times in total.
Posting from a P4 3Ghz_ASUS P5G41T-M LX3_2G RAM_DVD Write desktop with no internal HDD
Saving my stuff on flash sticks and in external USB HDD

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Two things to look at regarding microphone settings. First is retrovol. Make sure the settings are correct for the mic input selector and the level for "capture" (or record).

A useful tool for looking at this is Precord because you can open the meter and see if the input sound levels are correct, but you may be able to do it just by using the Skype echo test, recording yourself and hearing it back.

Second thing is the audio settings in the Skype options. You have to be signed in. Make sure the correct input device is selected.
Oscar in England

Antipodal

Sound for Skype & Slacko

#3 Post by Antipodal »

Thank you very much Oscar :!: :!: :!:
Your post was the compass I was needing!!
I've got Skype's microphone working now!!
:)
Antipodal

fefifofum

skypy and mic fix

#4 Post by fefifofum »

this is what i did to fix my skype and mic issue: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 684#700684