I got 2 netbooks near zero cost

Booting, installing, newbie
ThoriumBlvd

I got 2 netbooks near zero cost

#1 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

I recently came upon not one but two ASUS eee PC's.

#1) is an "original" version with the Celeron chip and a 480X800 screen. A peek inside indicates an 8Gb SSB. that looks removeable. Its a linux model.
Could be the 702 version ... EEEPC-8G on sticker..

#2) looks and runs linux but locked up very shortly after internet browsing. I think this one one of those 4Gb Atom processor models without 2nd SSD.
Included was a 16Gb PATA SSD separately in OP. Lets call this one a 900a for lack of anything better to call it. Screen is 600X1024. Not in use for obvious reasons.

After looking up these models it looks like Atheros Wifi/Lan. Using the LAN side for security, wifi for fun only.

Both are in working order but drastically out of date.
I'm actually writing this on the 8G model.

I do not have another computer of any kind. But I could go to library to make things work? I don't think these netbooks play nice with CD/DVD's.

I have a few 8Gb X-mini USB stick(lets) laying around. I guess I could save to stick then put into these netbooks. If I read correctly, I can store in the SSD, but these puppies run in RAM. Each netbook has 1 Gb, so I think no prob there.

What I need is browser, audio/video, OpenOffice or LibreOffice, Java, Flash, and a kernal that can handle newer things. I see HTML5 is becoming standard. My personal Browser preference is FireFox.

Hopefully a full description and not too long a post.

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey ThoriumBlvd

there a good few builds available for the eee's but I still think puppeee1.0 is the best bet especially on the 700

the smaller screen has been dealt with properly

the 900 can run later pups no problem as the screen resolution is better supported but puppeee supports all the key functions correctly

the only caveat is the browser is old but there are ways around that

you can 'install' more than one quite easily so you can compare - if you need help here just shout

see here for puppeee1.0 http://archive.org/details/PuppyLinuxPuppeee

:)

ThoriumBlvd

#3 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

Generally, I would think of replacing original with original. However a world without sound on youtube is not a good world. I went to test playback there and got a cryptic warning that the browser will no longer be supported. That includes the FF3.0.19 shell update. As punishment for the old browser... no sound for me !

I got these a week ago, and Youtube worked well, until Oct. 3. Then the warning and no sound. :evil:

rokytnji

#4 Post by rokytnji »

I just recently sold my 900 model 4gig/16gig ssd with Macpup 550 on it Monday, a few days ago. I had AntiX on it when I ran it full time. I figured AntiX would be too hard for the buyer to use.

I have my 701SD 8gig SSD up for sale. I had MacPup 550 installed and it worked OK but
I figured the screen size too small for the menus and all to be read easily so I went with
Slack0 5.6 instead, Themed it like Windows using Icewm instead of JWM.

Any Puppy should be fine with either of those eeepcs you have, They both kinda sound like the Intel Celeron models to me though. I went with non pae on Slack0 5.6.

ThoriumBlvd

#5 Post by ThoriumBlvd »

I saw Puppy Slacko 5.5XL and it looks like what I need. I will have to inquire/wiki about Burn to USB-stick (I presume I'll have to be at library using a Windows environment), and bootable stick, etc.

I got the 4Gb one running by inode clearing. I ran the System Info icon, and it is an Atom N270. Unfortunately, the OS is too large at 3.5Gb. Add updates and its 3.8 Gb. About 100MB to spare. Looking around I changed permissions on java--->jar to read-only and its holding at just under 3.9Gb. The 16Gb SSD will have to go inside with new OS, OR I could get the slack-55XL in the original maybe with more room to spare.