Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 14:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
LibreOffice 4.x + language packs (latest: 4.3.4)
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 8 of 12 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Thu 24 Apr 2014, 01:35    Post_subject:  

slavvo67 wrote:
No problem. I'm writing a script for document conversion using Libre through Terminal. I just added a line where the user needs to input the version of Libre they are using so it knows how to execute and start Libre in the background for conversion. It will then use "Libreoffice4.1" or "Libreoffice3.5.2" or whatever the user inputs as their version.

Thanks anyway!

Slavvo

Sure, no sweat. Laughing

so your script would run LO but without a visible interface? interesting.

getting back to my unhelpulness, a tip that may be of use to someone--

since the clipboard (install glipper or parcelite if you've got one of the rare puppies that doesn't come with one stock) is persistent, highlighting the version you want once makes that text as permanently available as you like--clicking the taskbar clipboard icon calls up all that you've highlighted or copied (depending on how you've set it up) and left clicking on the entry puts it into your middle-click/right click delivery system.

Razz
rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 25 Apr 2014, 08:06    Post_subject: Re: LibreOffice 4.2.x / 4.1.x / 4.0.x + language packs
Sub_title: Which Download for USA English only .sfs or .pet?

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
Sky Aisling wrote:
Hello vicmz and all involved in this project Smile
I could use a little assistance here.
I'm a bit confused as to which download of LibreOffice to take.
What download of LibreOffice do I take for this application?

Precise Puppy 5.7.1
Openbox/fbpanel
USA English
The machine has 4GB of RAM
Puppy will run from LiveCD
M$ is resident on HDD
There are no Linux partitions on the HDD.
(I can change this if necessary).

Regarding .sfs or .pet: Does it make a difference that Puppy will be running from a LiveCD and there are no Linux partitions to hold the save file?

This is for a person who wants to try Puppy but uses MSWord daily. Yes, I'm aware of WINE but LibreOffice should be able to produce .docs, right?

I've studied the various downloads and I'm at a lost to understand what I need here. Which download and .sfs or .pet?

Thank you for your hard work on this project.
Thank you greatly in advance for your help.

i've never used a live cd, but an sfs is "squashed" and therefore smaller. upgrading is also slightly easier with an sfs file. and yes it can make .doc files, but will encourage you to save it as .odt.

as to space limitations, you can set backups and temp files to be stored outside the save file (tools>options>paths), and use an any off-cd directory (if you choose--if puppy can see it, libre can write to it) for your documents.

again, i have no experience with the live cd method, but if you have the space (it's going to eat about a quarter gig when all is said and done) i suppose it doesn't really matter.

fwiw, 4.2.3 is working great, but 4.1.5 is supposed to represent a more polished/ironed out (but less tweaked) product (it's "final" as opposed to "fresh" or wet or whatever...)

HTH

I run with a LiveCD of Slacko all of the time. No savefile, just a remastered and light CD (Puppy SFS around 60MB, basic desktop, calculator, notepad, CD/DVD utils, Package Manager etc.).

The rest I add in, as and when required. Shinobar's Portable Firefox http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91945 and my own homegrown version of Portable Libre Office (4.2.3).

That way you have access to both no matter which (ROX based) Puppy you boot from. The portable apps are on the HDD and accessible (along with all other data (docs, pics etc) and in my case XP (remove CD and reboot to start XP)).

You just navigate to the portable app(s), right click and select the desired option. Any changes are stored in the portable app (persist across reboots).

The portable apps can be stored on any partition, NTFS, EXT, FAT. I have a dedicated EXT partition for my Linux stuff, but could have used the XP partition (just additional directory(s) within the XP stuff/area). Under NTFS however the directory won't be active, you'll have to enter the directory and click on AppRun.
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sun 27 Apr 2014, 15:18    Post_subject:  

Puppus Dogfellow:

As a follow-up to the above, I've created Term-Convert-5 which uses either ABI Word, LibreOffice or PDFtoText in order to convert between document formats. Clearly still alpha but far enough along to throw it out there if you're interested. It puts a menu entry under "Document".

If you're interested: http://www.complianceman.com/puppy2

P.S. - Hello NY! Miss Ya!
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr 2014, 04:30    Post_subject:  

rufwoof, that seems like a really cool setup.

slavvo67 wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow:

As a follow-up to the above, I've created Term-Convert-5 which uses either ABI Word, LibreOffice or PDFtoText in order to convert between document formats. Clearly still alpha but far enough along to throw it out there if you're interested. It puts a menu entry under "Document".

If you're interested: http://www.complianceman.com/puppy2

P.S. - Hello NY! Miss Ya!

where were you five years ago?...batch convert this, batch convert that...
with this and that as a go between...open this, open that, etc...

so, what formats can your program convert and in which directions?

ps went to the museum of natural history today--i think 7 out of every ten was european. and i don't know what to make of hipsters. seems like some sort of odd uniform they've all got on...

but yeah, you appreciate it when you leave it.
Wink
slavvo67

PostPosted: Mon 28 Apr 2014, 19:16    Post_subject:  

In theory, the program can convert anything that ABI Word or Libre Office can. Because Libre is a little more specific as to what you convert into, I limited selection of formats to convert into. Technically, there are hundreds of conversion formats.

I only focused on word processor documents and the more typical ones (.abw, .odt, .doc, .docx and add in html, rtf, txt, pdf) this round but will also work on spreadsheets.

The real question is the accuracy of the conversion. For example, using Libre Office in the background to convert ABI Word documents to other formats is not very good. That's where you would use the ABI Word back-end to convert. I'm working on a help page of which to use for each conversion type but it requires quite a bit of testing.

NYC - Yep, I made the mistake of going to the Museum of Natural History in the dead of Winter. Waiting on line to get in - freezing. Finding a place to eat - freezing. Getting home - freezing.
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Tue 29 Apr 2014, 11:32    Post_subject:  

slavvo67 wrote:
In theory, the program can convert anything that ABI Word or Libre Office can. Because Libre is a little more specific as to what you convert into, I limited selection of formats to convert into. Technically, there are hundreds of conversion formats.

I only focused on word processor documents and the more typical ones (.abw, .odt, .doc, .docx and add in html, rtf, txt, pdf) this round but will also work on spreadsheets.

The real question is the accuracy of the conversion. For example, using Libre Office in the background to convert ABI Word documents to other formats is not very good. That's where you would use the ABI Word back-end to convert. I'm working on a help page of which to use for each conversion type but it requires quite a bit of testing.

NYC - Yep, I made the mistake of going to the Museum of Natural History in the dead of Winter. Waiting on line to get in - freezing. Finding a place to eat - freezing. Getting home - freezing.

from what i've read, .abw to .rtf to (whatever) might work well.

nyc is too cold in the winter, too hot in the summer. (both can kill you, but the latter seems more antiseptic).

line to get into the museum? sure it wasn't some sort of scam?
slavvo67

PostPosted: Sat 03 May 2014, 12:08    Post_subject: Cutting it down...  

Any chance someone here can cut down the Libre package to just the Writer and maybe Calc?

From what I read on the Libre website, the individual applications can be downloaded and installed as separate applications. Should make for a smaller install....

Just thinking of trying to keep Puppy light, as it was originally intended to be.

EDIT: I just reviewed the Debian packages and it seems the largest parts of the program seem to be required. It probably does not make much sense to drop parts of Libre to save nominal amounts of space. ...

Best,

Slavvo67
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 15:35    Post_subject:  

LibreOffice-4.2.4_en-US_xz.pet

LibreOffice-4.2.4_en-US_xz.sfs
vicmz

PostPosted: Mon 12 May 2014, 21:26    Post_subject:  

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
LibreOffice-4.2.4_en-US_xz.pet

LibreOffice-4.2.4_en-US_xz.sfs

Thanks! Posted to the first page.

slavvo67

PostPosted: Wed 28 May 2014, 00:01    Post_subject:  

I recently had a major setback with Libre Writer 4.2.0.4 where it crashed / shutdown and only partially recovered on restart. I detailed this a bit more in the Bugs section of the forum.

I will be updating to the latest in hopes that I cannot recreate that issue. Crying or Very sad
boxR

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jun 2014, 14:48    Post_subject: LibreOffice 4.2.4 fr + Java 7u60  

LibreOffice 4.2.4 fr (PET) is now available here :

And Java RE 1.7 Update 60 (PET) :
vicmz

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jun 2014, 15:06    Post_subject:  

Updated. Also added links to lastest versions of Java (v1.8.0.5, v1.7.0.60)
Puppus Dogfellow

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 03:40    Post_subject:  

LibreOffice-4.2.5_en-US_xz.pet (209M)

LibreOffice-4.2.5_en-US_xz.sfs (172M)
vicmz

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jun 2014, 23:21    Post_subject:  

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
LibreOffice-4.2.5_en-US_xz.pet (209M)

LibreOffice-4.2.5_en-US_xz.sfs (172M)

Posted to the first page, thanks! Smile

slavvo67

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jul 2014, 20:13    Post_subject:  

Well, I just downloaded the 4.2.4 with hopes to install this weekend. So much for that... on with the new!

Thanks guys!

Slavvo67
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 8 of 12 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Documents
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum