LibreOffice + language packs (latest version: 6.1.4)

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
vicmz

#91 Post by vicmz »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote: i mirrored LO423-es-en.sfs with a name change to reflect it's got the english text also.

LO423-es-en.pet is a pet made from it.
Good idea, thanks for the PET version. However, the first page does explain that all packages can be used in English or in another language by installing a langpack PET, either by the default system language or by setting a specific language at the LibreOffice Options.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:vic, like you, i use 01micko's program to get the sfs together. please word future thread openings to acknowledge him in my efforts as well.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:on my machines, right clicking on an sfs results in (among fifty other things) four ways to turn it into a pet. i'm almost certain TheAsterisk!'s sfs2pet-20121001 is what i use...
Then now unless indicated SFS files are generated by 01micko's getlibreoffice tool, and PET files are generated by TheAsterisk!'s sfs2pet tool.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:so 423 is out already, huh. i posted the sched in this thread. maybe i should have checked it out...
I was going to make a new package, too. Then I checked the release schedule you'd linked in an older post of this thread, and decided to wait. I don't think I can keep up with all release dates, and I don't think users change versions so frequently either. Nevertheless, users can request packages of the new versions if these are considered to be important updates.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

Puppus Dogfellow

#92 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

vicmz wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote: i mirrored LO423-es-en.sfs with a name change to reflect it's got the english text also.

LO423-es-en.pet is a pet made from it.
Good idea, thanks for the PET version. However, the first page does explain that all packages can be used in English or in another language by installing a langpack PET, either by the default system language or by setting a specific language at the LibreOffice Options.
that wasn't a suggestion for you, just an explanation as to why i changed the name (my repo doesn't have your text explaining that).
vicmz wrote:
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:vic, like you, i use 01micko's program to get the sfs together. please word future thread openings to acknowledge him in my efforts as well.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:on my machines, right clicking on an sfs results in (among fifty other things) four ways to turn it into a pet. i'm almost certain TheAsterisk!'s sfs2pet-20121001 is what i use...
Then now unless indicated SFS files are generated by 01micko's getlibreoffice tool, and PET files are generated by TheAsterisk!'s sfs2pet tool.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:so 423 is out already, huh. i posted the sched in this thread. maybe i should have checked it out...
I was going to make a new package, too. Then I checked the release schedule you'd linked in an older post of this thread, and decided to wait. I don't think I can keep up with all release dates, and I don't think users change versions so frequently either. Nevertheless, users can request packages of the new versions if these are considered to be important updates.
1, excellent. 2, yeah, i wasn't going to bother with the update from 422-423 (i skipped 420-421), but you having made the sfs meant that i didn't have to unload mine. i read the release notes and they said something about it being a fix for the bleeding heart bug affecting ss something or other--it seemed like a relatively big deal, non-issue wise.

:lol:

i honestly can't remember the last time it crashed or lost data. every update has seemed pointless, but never has it proven a bad idea. actually, the thing seems a bit faster with each edition.

on a related note and getting back to something slavvo mentioned, setting it to autostart takes away its biggest flaw, at least in terms of complaints about its size: by the time the rest of the machine has connected to the internet, loaded geany, xpad, the browser, dropbox--just feels like part of the start up process. i have never felt my machine bogged down because of its presence.

you can make it default to open any kind of file or give it the option to do so with a right click--a few hundred pages of .txt opens as fast as in geany i.e. instantly.

slavvo67

#93 Post by slavvo67 »

Speaking of bogged down....

I pretty much married the Tahr disto and Libre loads quickly and works perfectly. That's without adding to startup. I don't know of many puppies that can handle it so smoothly. Fluxpup shows promise too. Not sure about others.

Sadly, I have to say that my initial testing showed that even Libre doesn't convert flawlessly to Word. More to come on this in the next week... Converted easy from the command line, though. :wink:

Puppus Dogfellow

#94 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:Speaking of bogged down....

I pretty much married the Tahr disto and Libre loads quickly and works perfectly. That's without adding to startup. I don't know of many puppies that can handle it so smoothly. Fluxpup shows promise too. Not sure about others.

Sadly, I have to say that my initial testing showed that even Libre doesn't convert flawlessly to Word. More to come on this in the next week... Converted easy from the command line, though. :wink:
"convert flawlessly to word"--do you mean it doesn't turn its format into doc/docx without error or it messes up when reading a doc/docx?

can word read odt? how does it do? i haven't used it it in five years, haven't owned a copy in two or three. however, i do remember it as having been inept by design--it couldn't read microsoft-generated files from other programs--Pocket Word and MS Works made text files, but not ones you could really just directly use (textmaker was able to open the .pwd files and turn them into something you could use on word--people have been struggling around these practices for decades).

"I don't know of many puppies that can handle it so smoothly."--probably close to all can. tahr works very well but no better in that regard than any of the other modern pups i've used (slacko 5.3, precise 5.4-5.7.1). i'll tell you one modern development that really does speed things up, though: the f2fs filesystem really is faster on flash media for puppy. slacko 5.3 on a card (pre-f2fs ability) was really pokey compared to the tahr i have on an f2fs stick. on a spinning disk there's not much difference.

"Converted easy from the command line"--converted from what to what and read/written to with what?

which brings about some possible workarounds (though if FreeOffice really is that good at it...).
1. upping it to google as a google doc and having them convert it in either direction.
2. converting to pdf and then to the format you're stuck using.
3. rtf and similar can come into play...

or just use textmaker for it.

slavvo67

#95 Post by slavvo67 »

Agreed... agreed and agreeeed....

I am using Tahr with f2fs and yes, quick and nice. I gather other new distros do the same but I'm just picky with my distros so I have no interest in some of them (i.e. Slacko). My fights with Libre admittedly came from older versions of Puppy like 3HD and 5.2.8 and older Slacko. Puppy has advanced nicely and I'm sure these older issues of lag have diminished quite a bit.

Yes, my format issues are really just mine so don't look too deep into it. Just trying to build something to change document formats without booting the actual program and with consistently good conversion results. Converting to .odt or .abw to .doc or .docx flawlessly (without either paragraph issues, spacing issues, font issues, etc) are the primary goals but not the only ones. Libre has a ton of conversion options so this is my play project.

Libre is now hands down my word processor of choice now and the work you and others have done with the pets and sfs's are truly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Slavvo

Puppus Dogfellow

#96 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:Agreed... agreed and agreeeed....

I am using Tahr with f2fs and yes, quick and nice. I gather other new distros do the same but I'm just picky with my distros so I have no interest in some of them (i.e. Slacko). My fights with Libre admittedly came from older versions of Puppy like 3HD and 5.2.8 and older Slacko. Puppy has advanced nicely and I'm sure these older issues of lag have diminished quite a bit.

Yes, my format issues are really just mine so don't look too deep into it. Just trying to build something to change document formats without booting the actual program and with consistently good conversion results. Converting to .odt or .abw to .doc or .docx flawlessly (without either paragraph issues, spacing issues, font issues, etc) are the primary goals but not the only ones. Libre has a ton of conversion options so this is my play project.

Libre is now hands down my word processor of choice now and the work you and others have done with the pets and sfs's are truly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Slavvo
you're welcome, Slavvo. just trying to show a little gratitude myself.

i just upped LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz.pet (209mb) and LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz.sfs (172mb) to the folder i linked to before; fwiw, it takes about five seconds to load, not twenty as i has previously stated.

i also upped LibreOffice 4.1.5.pet, 4.1.5.sfs, and OpenOffice-4.0-en_us.pet to the same folder.

Sky Aisling

LibreOffice 4.2.x / 4.1.x / 4.0.x + language packs

#97 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello vicmz and all involved in this project :)
I could use a little assistance here.
I'm a bit confused as to which download of LibreOffice to take.
What download of LibreOffice do I take for this application?

Precise Puppy 5.7.1
Openbox/fbpanel
USA English
The machine has 4GB of RAM
Puppy will run from LiveCD
M$ is resident on HDD
There are no Linux partitions on the HDD.
(I can change this if necessary).

Regarding .sfs or .pet: Does it make a difference that Puppy will be running from a LiveCD and there are no Linux partitions to hold the save file?

This is for a person who wants to try Puppy but uses MSWord daily. Yes, I'm aware of WINE but LibreOffice should be able to produce .docs, right?

I've studied the various downloads and I'm at a lost to understand what I need here. Which download and .sfs or .pet?

Thank you for your hard work on this project.
Thank you greatly in advance for your help.

Puppus Dogfellow

Re: LibreOffice 4.2.x / 4.1.x / 4.0.x + language packs

#98 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Sky Aisling wrote:Hello vicmz and all involved in this project :)

Precise Puppy 5.7.1
Openbox/fbpanel
USA English
M$ is resident on HDD

Regarding .sfs or .pet: Does it make a difference that Puppy will be running from a LiveCD and there are no Linux partitions to hold the save file?

This is for a person who wants to try Puppy but uses MSWord daily. Yes, I'm aware of WINE but LibreOffice should be able to produce .docs, right?

I've studied the various downloads and I'm at a lost to understand what I need here. Which download and .sfs or .pet?

i've never used a live cd, but an sfs is "squashed" and therefore smaller. upgrading is also slightly easier with an sfs file. and yes it can make .doc files, but will encourage you to save it as .odt.

as to space limitations, you can set backups and temp files to be stored outside the save file (tools>options>paths), and use an any off-cd directory (if you choose--if puppy can see it, libre can write to it) for your documents.

again, i have no experience with the live cd method, but if you have the space (it's going to eat about a quarter gig when all is said and done) i suppose it doesn't really matter.

fwiw, 4.2.3 is working great, but 4.1.5 is supposed to represent a more polished/ironed out (but less tweaked) product (it's "final" as opposed to "fresh" or wet or whatever...)

HTH

Sky Aisling

#99 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you Puppus Dogfellow
Can you direct me to which download to use?

Puppus Dogfellow

#100 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Sky Aisling wrote:Thank you Puppus Dogfellow
Can you direct me to which download to use?
you're welcome.

and sure. 4.2.3 is working great for me, but 4.1.5 is supposed to represent a more polished/ironed out (but less tweaked) product. (it's "final" as opposed to "fresh" or wet or whatever). in the end, the 4.2 series loads faster than the 4.1, so i say go for the 4.2.3.

take your pick:

LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz.pet (209mb)

LibreOffice-4.2.3_en-US_xz.sfs (172mb)

Sky Aisling

#101 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you, again, Puppus Dogfellow
sure. 4.2.3 is working great, but 4.1.5 is supposed to represent a more polished/ironed out (but less tweaked) product. (it's "final" as opposed to "fresh" or wet or whatever). in the end, the 4.2 series loads faster than the 4.1, so i say go for the 4.2.3.
OK, where is that download? (That is USA English.)
EDIT:
Sorry Puppus, You gave it to me as plain as day in the above post. :oops:

Puppus Dogfellow

#102 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

Sky Aisling wrote:Thank you, again, Puppus Dogfellow
sure. 4.2.3 is working great, but 4.1.5 is supposed to represent a more polished/ironed out (but less tweaked) product. (it's "final" as opposed to "fresh" or wet or whatever). in the end, the 4.2 series loads faster than the 4.1, so i say go for the 4.2.3.
OK, where is that download? (That is USA English.)
EDIT:
Sorry Puppus, You gave it to me as plain as day in the above post. :oops:

glad to help.

edit: should you need java, here is the most recent (17-Apr-2014 44.9M) sfs from shinobarjre-1.7.0.55.sfs and a pet made from it.

edit 2: there may have been an edit zero that was made between the time i posted the original, you read it and wrote a reply, i posted the edit, you posted your reply.
Last edited by Puppus Dogfellow on Sun 04 May 2014, 07:25, edited 1 time in total.

slavvo67

#103 Post by slavvo67 »

Vic & Puppus:

Is there anyway you can standardize the terminal command to launch LibreOffice regardless of version? For example, when launching LibreOffice 4.2 from the terminal, I have to remember the version and type libreoffice4.2 to launch.

There's a method to my psychotic, neurotic madness on this... If you guys can do this on future distros, it would be real nice. If not, the world isn't ending... or is it??? LOL

Puppus Dogfellow

#104 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:Vic & Puppus:

Is there anyway you can standardize the terminal command to launch LibreOffice regardless of version? For example, when launching LibreOffice 4.2 from the terminal, I have to remember the version and type libreoffice4.2 to launch.

There's a method to my psychotic, neurotic madness on this... If you guys can do this on future distros, it would be real nice. If not, the world isn't ending... or is it??? LOL

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
libreoffice4.2 --writer /mnt/[rest of location of the file, the name of the file itself included] 
i have no idea how to do what you're asking, slavvo. i use the above script to autostart libre (it's in the start up folder but you can launch writer (or whatever part of LO you substitute) with it with a click.) before i did that, i had a "dummy document" dragged to the desktop so i could get directly into the word processor without having to go through the menu of the suite as a whole. i can't see any other methods being faster or easier, but if you really want to do it easily from the command line, why not just copy something like that into geany or xpad or notecase, set them to autostart ( :lol: ), and paste that into the terminal...

guess that wasn't much help...

and here's something else you may not like: tools > options > quickstarter, which would allow you to start the program from the menu bar.

slavvo67

#105 Post by slavvo67 »

No problem. I'm writing a script for document conversion using Libre through Terminal. I just added a line where the user needs to input the version of Libre they are using so it knows how to execute and start Libre in the background for conversion. It will then use "Libreoffice4.1" or "Libreoffice3.5.2" or whatever the user inputs as their version.

Thanks anyway!

Slavvo

Puppus Dogfellow

#106 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

slavvo67 wrote:No problem. I'm writing a script for document conversion using Libre through Terminal. I just added a line where the user needs to input the version of Libre they are using so it knows how to execute and start Libre in the background for conversion. It will then use "Libreoffice4.1" or "Libreoffice3.5.2" or whatever the user inputs as their version.

Thanks anyway!

Slavvo
Sure, no sweat. :lol:

so your script would run LO but without a visible interface? interesting.

getting back to my unhelpulness, a tip that may be of use to someone--

since the clipboard (install glipper or parcelite if you've got one of the rare puppies that doesn't come with one stock) is persistent, highlighting the version you want once makes that text as permanently available as you like--clicking the taskbar clipboard icon calls up all that you've highlighted or copied (depending on how you've set it up) and left clicking on the entry puts it into your middle-click/right click delivery system.

:P

rufwoof

#107 Post by rufwoof »

Puppus Dogfellow wrote:
Sky Aisling wrote:Hello vicmz and all involved in this project :)

Precise Puppy 5.7.1
Openbox/fbpanel
USA English
M$ is resident on HDD

i've never used a live cd, but an sfs is "squashed" and therefore smaller. upgrading is also slightly easier with an sfs file. and yes it can make .doc files, but will encourage you to save it as .odt.

as to space limitations, you can set backups and temp files to be stored outside the save file (tools>options>paths), and use an any off-cd directory (if you choose--if puppy can see it, libre can write to it) for your documents.

again, i have no experience with the live cd method, but if you have the space (it's going to eat about a quarter gig when all is said and done) i suppose it doesn't really matter.

fwiw, 4.2.3 is working great, but 4.1.5 is supposed to represent a more polished/ironed out (but less tweaked) product (it's "final" as opposed to "fresh" or wet or whatever...)

HTH
I run with a LiveCD of Slacko all of the time. No savefile, just a remastered and light CD (Puppy SFS around 60MB, basic desktop, calculator, notepad, CD/DVD utils, Package Manager etc.).

The rest I add in, as and when required. Shinobar's Portable Firefox http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91945 and my own homegrown version of Portable Libre Office (4.2.3).

That way you have access to both no matter which (ROX based) Puppy you boot from. The portable apps are on the HDD and accessible (along with all other data (docs, pics etc) and in my case XP (remove CD and reboot to start XP)).

You just navigate to the portable app(s), right click and select the desired option. Any changes are stored in the portable app (persist across reboots).

The portable apps can be stored on any partition, NTFS, EXT, FAT. I have a dedicated EXT partition for my Linux stuff, but could have used the XP partition (just additional directory(s) within the XP stuff/area). Under NTFS however the directory won't be active, you'll have to enter the directory and click on AppRun.

slavvo67

#108 Post by slavvo67 »

Puppus Dogfellow:

As a follow-up to the above, I've created Term-Convert-5 which uses either ABI Word, LibreOffice or PDFtoText in order to convert between document formats. Clearly still alpha but far enough along to throw it out there if you're interested. It puts a menu entry under "Document".

If you're interested: http://www.complianceman.com/puppy2

P.S. - Hello NY! Miss Ya!

Puppus Dogfellow

#109 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

rufwoof, that seems like a really cool setup.

slavvo67 wrote:Puppus Dogfellow:

As a follow-up to the above, I've created Term-Convert-5 which uses either ABI Word, LibreOffice or PDFtoText in order to convert between document formats. Clearly still alpha but far enough along to throw it out there if you're interested. It puts a menu entry under "Document".

If you're interested: http://www.complianceman.com/puppy2

P.S. - Hello NY! Miss Ya!
where were you five years ago?...batch convert this, batch convert that...
with this and that as a go between...open this, open that, etc...

so, what formats can your program convert and in which directions?

ps went to the museum of natural history today--i think 7 out of every ten was european. and i don't know what to make of hipsters. seems like some sort of odd uniform they've all got on...

but yeah, you appreciate it when you leave it.
:wink:

slavvo67

#110 Post by slavvo67 »

In theory, the program can convert anything that ABI Word or Libre Office can. Because Libre is a little more specific as to what you convert into, I limited selection of formats to convert into. Technically, there are hundreds of conversion formats.

I only focused on word processor documents and the more typical ones (.abw, .odt, .doc, .docx and add in html, rtf, txt, pdf) this round but will also work on spreadsheets.

The real question is the accuracy of the conversion. For example, using Libre Office in the background to convert ABI Word documents to other formats is not very good. That's where you would use the ABI Word back-end to convert. I'm working on a help page of which to use for each conversion type but it requires quite a bit of testing.

NYC - Yep, I made the mistake of going to the Museum of Natural History in the dead of Winter. Waiting on line to get in - freezing. Finding a place to eat - freezing. Getting home - freezing.