How do I fix my remaster so it will install correctly to usb

Using applications, configuring, problems
fresnofred

How do I fix my remaster so it will install correctly to usb

#1 Post by fresnofred »

Howdy! I remastered the perfect puppy, at least to my desires. Here is the problem. I boot to the rmed puppy, stick a flash drive in and it shows up. I use the universal installer to install my rmed puppy to the flash drive. It all goes well. When I boot the flash drive, it does not show up on my desktop, unless I take it out and put it back in. Then I can turn off the pc and save my work. If I do not take out and put back in, Puppy complains there is no suitable partition to save to and session is not saved. Normally puppy tells u to NOT remove the flash drive while using it. Perhaps it somehow is recognizing my flash drive as a live dvd?? Any ideas how to RM again my almost perfect puppy so it will install to a flash drive correctly. I have a feeling that I copied the wrong startup data over from /temp/root to /root on the last remaster. It's too bad because I have a working screensaver and an updated Avast on it as well as tons of other good programs that work. (about 345 mb)
PS: gparted shows sdc (flash drive) but when i look at it it says "no device detected". When i unplug and plug in it shows it with puppy on it. It will save files now but how can i get it to show when booting?
PS2: Actually, maybe I have created some sort of hybrid. The flash drive seems to run as a live usb and thus I am able to save only the sessions I want by plugging in the hard drive!! Actually I might learn to like this arrangement!
PS3 One final note: tho i had to plug it in the very first time to create a save file, after that it did save a session to the flash drive without plugging it in.
Last edited by fresnofred on Thu 02 May 2013, 02:45, edited 1 time in total.

tytower

#2 Post by tytower »

I think there is a fault there somewhere . I could never get it to work after re-mastering

Karl Godt

#3 Post by Karl Godt »

One idea I have : The device node(s) may be somehow left out of the remaster ie /dev/sdc if sdc[0-9]* is wanted ( was once the case for me ) .

Second idea : Check that /etc/rc.d/rc.PUPSTATE file is left out of the remaster PLUS check for any *.wh.* hidden whi[pt]e_out files from the aufs driver inside the puppy-livecd-build directory and delete them .