Multisession CDR vs CDRW

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
macadavy

Multisession CDR vs CDRW

#1 Post by macadavy »

There was earlier discussion regarding 'multisession CDRW' but it seems clear the poster was referring to CD - Record not CD - Read/Write. I read the following statement in one of the docs about saving to CD or DVD: "I do not recommend a CD-RW simply because it isn't necessary."
While I understand its not _necessary_ wouldn't it be easier to just save everything to a re-writable CD, rather than having multiple updated tracks on a CD-R? Or does one have to erase the CDRW before writing to it again, thus removing the original iso? If instead, saving to the CDRW simply overwrites everything, then it seems only files which have been changed (e.g. browser bookmarks, settings changes, changed textfiles, newly installed appies, etc) would be changed on the CDRW - all else (iso, etc.) would remain the same - no?
I would also be interested to know if anyone has followed up on earlier discussions regarding encryption of files saved to CD or DVD. Has mazzo or anyone else written scripts to automate this process, so that it is there as an option when saving at end-of-session?
TIA for any responses.

kohn22

About using CD-R and CD-RW

#2 Post by kohn22 »

Hello, I am new here. This is my first post. I don't know if makes any difference using the CD-R or the CD-R/W. I have used both a number of times with puppy 2.0 adm 1.08r1 and there is nothing different. Except one thing. The CD-R/W can be used for another project later. Maybe somebody here has a better answer.

Ted Dog

Not all CDRW....

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

I generally use DVDs but I have tried CD-R & CD-RW on a older laptop and could not read the CD-RW. But based on what you stated is correct. If you wish to keep data or re-use media, you have a choice!
I generally use DVD+RW and I haven't had issue with any drive tried (DVD type of course) but I use DVD-R for achiving and CD-R to move files to my laptop.