Wary slow to boot from CD

Booting, installing, newbie
nic007

Wary slow to boot from CD

#1 Post by nic007 »

My Wary 539 live-cd boots very slowly on my old pentium4 with 1GB RAM and HDD formated in ntfs. I even copied the critical files to the HDD but no improvement. It takes very long at the copy to ram screen and directly thereafter. Any ideas?

tytower

#2 Post by tytower »

Install or save your savefile to your internal harddisk perhaps. It is slower to read from a USB .

If this is what you have done then perhaps a disk check on bootup to ensure the file is not corrupt

What do you call "a long time"
Mine is up and ready in 30 seconds with much the same gear as you
The copy to RAM is done in under 2 seconds
Last edited by tytower on Thu 02 May 2013, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

tytower wrote:Install or save your savefile to your internal harddisk perhaps. It is slower to read from a USB .

If this is what you have done then perhaps a disk check on bootup to ensure the file is not corrupt

What do you call "a long time"
Mine is up and ready in 30 seconds with much the same gear as you
All critical files copied to and the save file is on HDD. I'm talking 2 minutes plus here. Very long. Could it be because of the ntfs partition that the search for puppy files takes so long? The HDD is not that large 160Gb. The save file is quite large, 480Mb, perhaps also trying to copy this into RAM at startup?

Dewbie

#4 Post by Dewbie »

Same issue here...

Compaq Deskpro EN (P2-350 / 384M RAM / 6.4G HDD)
Dell Dimension 2400 (P4-2.2 / 1.5G RAM / 40G HDD)

Wary boots quickly in the P2 and slowly in the P4.
I always wondered why; it seems to defy logic. :?

nic007 wrote:
Could it be because of the ntfs partition that the search for puppy files takes so long?
In my case, it's also painfully slow in pfix=ram, which doesn't involve the HDD.

tytower

#5 Post by tytower »

nic007 wrote:All critical files copied to and the save file is on HDD. I'm talking 2 minutes plus here. Very long. Could it be because of the ntfs partition that the search for puppy files takes so long? The HDD is not that large 160Gb. The save file is quite large, 480Mb, perhaps also trying to copy this into RAM at startup?
I think there is a way to make puppy use a particular save file and not look through your hard drive , which is what I would consider large. Read up on the bootup sequence and perhaps start using a USB stick to boot to try that with your savefile on that.

You know I would ensure my savefile is safe .rename it , then boot from cd ,instal to the usb and save to the usb assuming it is a fat32 and see what ,if any , difference that makes.

Others more knowledgeable than I will hopefully come in and assist further