Oh no starhawk made another help thread about weird tech!

Booting, installing, newbie
starhawk

Oh no starhawk made another help thread about weird tech!

#1 Post by starhawk »

Haha.

Flash don't change that title PLEASE. It's too funny to be changed -- not to mention an accurate descriptor of the issue (lol).

OK, so I got a Pico-ITX motherboard. If you want to know what Pico-ITX is, take four notebook hard drives and stack them vertically. That's the size of this motherboard. HOLY CARP THAT'S TINY!! (as a friend of mine would say)

So here's specs, in brief...
Atom Z530 CPU (1.6GHz)
Intel SCH US15W chipset (Intel calls it a System Controller Hub 'cause it's one chip instead of two)

It takes DDR2 RAM - I've got IIRC 512mb in there now, but I'm going to max it out at 2gb later.

It has a CompactFlash card slot (bootable) in which right now is a really fast 4gb Sandisk card with Slacko Puppy 55 on it.

Only one problem... I can't get out of text mode. Apparently the drivers included with Slacko 55 don't dig this chipset -- integrated graphics are what I'm using, IIRC Google told me it was Intel's GMA500 solution that's in there.

Drivers I have tried...
intel
i740
vesa
Xorg generic driver
Xvesa

Nothing works. It does the same behavior with all of them -- it says "Starting X blah blah blah..." and just sits there for a few seconds staring at me. Then it pipes up with "Exited from X. Blah blah blah...". That's it. The screen doesn't even blank or flicker.

I've a PM into tempestuous, but I don't know when he'll be able to give me attention, so I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone else could help. Probably I just need someone to compile a driver and "sock it to me".
Last edited by starhawk on Wed 01 May 2013, 04:15, edited 1 time in total.

tlchost

Re: Oh no starhawk made another help thread about weird tech!

#2 Post by tlchost »

starhawk wrote:Haha.

Flash don't change that title PLEASE. It's too funny to be changed
You may want to consider hiring new writers.

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Writers?

What writers?

I do all that myself :lol:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

I cannot abide the use of the word help in the title, so I usually change it when I see it. The reason I hate it is I've seen other forums (fora?) with many threads that were titled simply "Help!" or some slight but equally unhelpful variation. I figure this is the Beginners Help section of the forum so the word help in the title of a post is redundant. if I let one guy get away with it, everyone will start doing it. It's a slippery slope. :lol:

Keep in mind that people will be reading the title who don't already know what the thread is about. So if you don't want me to change your title, make it give some idea of what the the thread is about, so I don't have to waste time just finding that out. Think of yourself as Clark Kent's editor and you're making up a headline for one of his newspaper articles. Actually, I don't remember ever seeing anything Kent wrote. Was he ever published?

musher0

#5 Post by musher0 »

@flash & starhawk:

From http://thesaurus.com/browse/help
Main Entry: help  [help] Show IPA
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: assistance, relief
Synonyms: advice, aid, assist, avail, balm, benefit, comfort, cooperation, corrective, cure, guidance, hand, helping hand, lift*, maintenance, nourishment, remedy, service, succor, support, sustenance, use, utility
"Comfort" is nice. I like "relief", myself. ;)

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

OK folks :lol:

Can anyone help with the topic, namely "getting the GMA500 / US15W chipset to graphically play nice with Slacko 55"?

starhawk

#7 Post by starhawk »

Just went searching and reading. Driver needed is "gma500_gfx" and there is a mention in the Slacko 55 release thread by 01micko -- here -- that it doesn't work in there yet :(

I have a copy of Upup Precise 382, and I'll try that in a minute or two, and see if that fares any better.

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

[SOLVED] with Upup Precise 382 -- I have achieved VIDEO!

...now to PM tempestuous again and say "never mind!"...

...and to PM Upup Precise's creator (Pemasu, is it? I'll find out in a min) to see if there's an XFCE SFS for it ;)

EDIT: yep, Pemasu. Sir, you have a PM to attend to, when you get the time ;)

musher0

#9 Post by musher0 »

starhawk wrote:OK folks :lol:

Can anyone help with the topic, namely "getting the GMA500 / US15W chipset to graphically play nice with Slacko 55"?
You need no comfort/relief/help ! :) The above title works for me.

BFN.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)