Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Sep 2014, 11:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
PeasyDisc CD/DVD/BR Tools
Page 2 of 6 [83 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Henry

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jun 2013, 17:38    Post subject:  

I think I can write SOLVED on this one!
(I had suspected the possibility of HD corruption, but didn't get around to checkin until now, sorry)

Code:
e2fsck /mnt/home/PreciseNop/precisesave-A.2fs
seems to have done it. The screenshot tells all.
Thanks for your patience.
peasydisk.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  peasydisk.png 
Filesize  93.75 KB 
Downloaded  330 Time(s) 
Henry

PostPosted: Thu 27 Jun 2013, 22:10    Post subject: This is an outstanding utility!  

Having got past an unfortunate and extraneous obscure HD problem, I've been using peasydisc quite a lot, and it is excellent.

Being able to use a decent terminal display instead of the small and inflexible rxvt is a vast improvement. You can really see what's going on.

For example, I have used it many times to back up a folder to a DVD-R. This takes only these steps:
- Choose the folder.
- Choose "new" disc or "add to" disc.
- Click "write."

If the fies are not all in the same folder, temporarily put them in one. I forgot to include a file so did an "add to." No problem. Other tasks are easy, too, once you become familiar with ths efficient tool.

Thanks!
nancy reagan

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jun 2013, 11:50    Post subject: usable for usb install  

Could this pet be used for making an usb install of other linux distros ?

And if so, which bootloader to choose ?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jun 2013, 13:02    Post subject: Re: usable for usb install  

nancy reagan wrote:
Could this pet be used for making an usb install of other linux distros ?

No. It sounds like you want ISObooter.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 28 Jun 2013, 13:44    Post subject: Re: This is an outstanding utility!  

Henry wrote:
If the fies are not all in the same folder, temporarily put them in one.

The best way to do this is by symlinking.

1. Create a temporary folder, like /tmp/source.
2. Drag all the target files and folders into your source folder using a "Link" operation.
3. Drag the source folder into PeasyDisc.

Then there is no duplication of files on your hard drive.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jul 2013, 10:05    Post subject: Re: This is an outstanding utility!  

Henry wrote:
Being able to use a decent terminal display instead of the small and inflexible rxvt is a vast improvement. You can really see what's going on.

Here is a PeasyDisc package that contains the sakura terminal. It has been modified to use sakura instead of rxvt.

To configure sakura, run it from the command line and right-click anywhere in its window.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 05 Aug 2013, 20:08; edited 1 time in total
Henry

PostPosted: Mon 01 Jul 2013, 14:29    Post subject: Re: This is an outstanding utility!  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Here is a PeasyDisc package that contains the sakura terminal. It has been modified to use sakura instead of rxvt.

Good - give everyone a good terminal!
Incidentally I did a S&R on the new version, replacing sakura with terminal (or defaultterminal if that's set.). But I don't want to risk complications in future versions so better not. I'm a minimalist, but an extra terminal I think I can handle,
Jim1911

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jul 2013, 15:10    Post subject: PeasyDisc using LH64 602 beta 2  

Hi rcrsn51,

Per your suggestion on the LH thread, I gave PeasyDisk a try but got weird results. I tried to burn the LH iso and you can see the files that were burned to the blank CD on sr0. No idea how, I just dropped the iso onto PeasyDisk. The copy was so fast I knew it had to be wrong. (image 1)

Since this was so weird, I uninstalled PeasyDisk using PPM and reinstalled the pet and tried again. This time it appears to work properly. The only difference is that I changed burn speed from max to 4 which works well for my burner. (image 2)

Thanks,
Jim
image-2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   45.91 KB
 Viewed   523 Time(s)

image-2.jpg

image-1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   35.67 KB
 Viewed   511 Time(s)

image-1.jpg

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 04 Jul 2013, 16:27    Post subject:  

The "Burn Speed = max" setting is the same as providing no speed to the device and letting it pick its own speed.

Apparently your burner doesn't work this way - it needs to be explicitly given a burn speed.

So save that speed in the settings file.

Are you sure that you used a blank CD the first time?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jul 2013, 08:09    Post subject:  

Henry wrote:
Perhaps we could have a row of tabs across the top ...

Done! See PeasyDisc v1.3 above.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jul 2013, 10:15    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Henry wrote:
Perhaps we could have a row of tabs across the top ...

Done! See PeasyDisc v1.3 above.

Thanks. As before I have also done the following to use the Xfce terminal:
1. Open /usr/sbin/peasydisc in a text editor.
2. At Line 4, insert Code:
touch /tmp/go.sh
chmod 755 /tmp/go.sh
3. Do a Search and Replace. Change all instances of "rxvt -e sh" to "terminal -e". There are eight of them.
4. Save and exit.
otropogo

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2013, 11:10    Post subject: DVD RW info problem
Subject description: DVD-RW disk blanked by PeasyDisc shows only 4.25G free

Have just installed 1.4 in lupuplus-5 and tried blanking an Imation 4XDVD-RW with it.

I allowed it to run at the "max" setting, and it seemed to complete without issue.

However, when I opened the disk in Pburn 4.05 (since PeasyDisc has no "info" function), it showed only 4.25 GB free, instead of the usual 4.37 (IIRC).

I then tried mounting the disk with Pmount, and it opened sr0 as a blank folder, which I've never experienced before.IIRC, blanked DVDs are not usually mountable in Puppy. It would appear that the disk has been reformatted UDL/DLA, and now I wonder whether it can be used to burn an iso.

I just tried to drag and drop a file into the opened sr0 folder, and that failed with a "read-only filesystem" message.

Explanation?

PS. although pburn's info functions are often confusing and misleading, such a function is potentially useful. Would it be possible to add it to PeasyDisc?

Update: Have just burned a Linux LiveCD on the blanked(?) disk above using peasyDisc 1.4, and noted a warning at the outset of the iso burn:

Warning: already carries isofs

So it would seem that Pburn's graph showing used space on the "blanked" disk is correct.

The burn continued without further incident, and the LiveCD booted (but wouldn't work because of monitor resolution issues I couldn't fix).

My question is, did the PeasyDisc iso burn function complete the blanking process before burning the iso, or did it somehow manage to make a bootable disk on the free portion?

I looked at the terminal text carefully, but was unable to copy it - a burn log would be handy - but I saw nothing to shed light on this question.
peasyDblanked-RW.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  peasyDblanked-RW.jpg 
Filesize  74.12 KB 
Downloaded  176 Time(s) 

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 28 Aug 2013, 23:17    Post subject: Re: DVD RW info problem
Subject description: DVD-RW disk blanked by PeasyDisc shows only 4.25G free

Thanks for testing.

otropogo wrote:
Have just installed 1.4 in lupuplus-5 and tried blanking an Imation 4XDVD-RW with it.

The "DVD-Fast" blanking procedure just writes a hidden dummy file to the root of the disc which effectively hides all previous content.

Unlike CD-RWs, you don't need to blank a rewritable DVD before reusing it. I have only tested this with DVD+RWs and I was assuming that DVD-RWs work the same. But I may be wrong. I will need to get some.

Quote:
I then tried mounting the disk with Pmount, and it opened sr0 as a blank folder, which I've never experienced before.IIRC, blanked DVDs are not usually mountable in Puppy.

That's because the above blanking procedure put a bit of filesystem on the disc.

Quote:
I just tried to drag and drop a file into the opened sr0 folder, and that failed with a "read-only filesystem" message.

Of course. Open PeasyDisc's Advanced tab and use the Write procedure there.

Quote:
although pburn's info functions are often confusing and misleading, such a function is potentially useful. Would it be possible to add it to PeasyDisc?

What information would you like to see?

Quote:
Warning: already carries isofs

That's because you ran the blanking procedure.

Quote:
My question is, did the PeasyDisc iso burn function complete the blanking process before burning the iso, or did it somehow manage to make a bootable disk on the free portion?

It simply overwrote the bit of dummy data written by the blanking procedure. But like I said, you didn't need to blank the DVD before burning the ISO.

[Edit] Having done some reading about DVD-RWs, I am now surprised that your burn actually worked.

[Edit] OK. I think I understand what happened. Because your DVD-RW disc had previously been used in Pburn, it was already in "Restricted Overwrite" mode. So it worked correctly in PeasyDisc.

However, a virgin DVD-RW is in "Sequential" mode. So it would need an initial formatting that switches it to "Restricted Overwrite". Then it would work.

I have added an option in v1.5 that does this.
otropogo

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 19:19    Post subject: can't copy data disk in 1.4/can't burn ripped iso  

I just got a new CD program disk in the mail, and want to make a backup. So I tried to do this on the fly with Peasydisk first, but coulnd't find any way with the options provided.

I then tried ripping the CD to make an ISO, and that seemed to go without problems. However, when I lengthened the name, I couldn't drag and drop it into the burn field.

After I shortened the name, it was accepted, and I started the burn. But a failure error was displayed in the terminal almost immediately (a logging option would have been helpful), so I did a screen save. I'm afraid the text is Greek to me...

Yet, the mystery continues. I looked at the disk in Pburn, and saw that it had been written after all. I then found that it would mount in Puppy, and it's content seems to match the original in folders, files, and byte count. The iso, however, is shown as using 444MB of disk space in the "properties" window whereas the two CDs hold only 263MB.

I should add that I was unable to copy the disk with the on-the-fly option in Pburn 4.05.
peasyDisoburn830_13.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  peasyDisoburn830_13.jpg 
Filesize  108.43 KB 
Downloaded  181 Time(s) 

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 30 Aug 2013, 20:05    Post subject:  

The Rip function uses the dd command to make an image of the CD. If it makes an ISO that is much larger than the original, that would suggest that there is something different about the disc - possibly how it was finalized.

There is another way to copy the CD.

1. Mount the CD.
2. Run PeasyDisc and select Make an ISO.
3. Use "/mnt/sr0" as the source folder.
4. Burn the ISO.

Quote:
I looked at the disk in Pburn, and saw that it had been written after all.

I don't understand that. The burn process only ran for 3 seconds.

See the next post.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sat 31 Aug 2013, 07:35; edited 3 times in total
Page 2 of 6 [83 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: