Will more RAM help with slow browsing?

Booting, installing, newbie
Rahl333

Will more RAM help with slow browsing?

#1 Post by Rahl333 »

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum and I will admit that I don't know much about computers BUT I do love linux and I can follow directions well, so I am able to do some light tinkering with a number of distros.

Ok, my laptop recently broke and I am pretty frugal so I thought I might be able to use my old Dell Dimension 2400. Intel Celeron 2.2 GHz, 256mb RAM and 40gb hard drive. I have recently installed Puppy on it and it runs lightning fast when accessing programs and menus BUT when I try and surf the net it loads extremely slowly. Youtube vids are super slow. Google searches are a little better but anything more than that runs very slow. My computer froze a few times and I had to reboot. Also, more back story, I tried to run Lubuntu and bodhi linux but I couldn't get past the graphic installer. The graphics that would allow me to select options during the install tried to appear but would not load all the way so I could not make it through the installer.

So my questions is, if I upgrade the RAM from 256mb to 1gb will it be smooth sailing more or less. Will I be able to surf the web and load youtube videos quickly? Like significantly quicker? Or is my processor too slow, or can this computer not handle website graphics? I just wanted to see if there was a quick and cheap fix for this. If not i'll just get a new computer. I'm hoping 1 gb will do the trick. All I want to do is surf the net fast. I don't plan on playing any games.

Thanks!

Rahl

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey rahl

yes more ram would help, also it is recommended that you have a linux swap file, normally twice installed ram, this works like virtual ram

if you haven't a swap already, run gparted from system menu, you will need to resize your current partition or if nothing of value on it, run from livecd (puppy pfix=ram if you have a savefile) delete the current partition, add a new partition with suitable space left for the linux-swap

create swap and then install puppy again

also make sure you have the latest flash player from the install menu

I have much less capable machines and they work well so you shouldn't have any probs

:)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Ahh, I'm not so sure your problem is lack of RAM. It could be; 256 MB is about the minimum for running Puppy without problems, depending on what you're doing, but it could also be that you have some kind of connection problem. Tell us about your internet connection.

Rahl333

#4 Post by Rahl333 »

Thanks for the quick reply guys!

I have pretty fast internet. My work laptop flys. So I don't think that is the problem.

Also I did notice when I was watching "how to install puppy" videos that they were installing a linux swap. I tried to (not knowing why) but I ran into a problem, so I don't have one. Maybe that is the problem. I think the message was, linux swap not recognized, or could not be found.

I installed puppy on 1 main partition. It is the only partition on the computer. Do I have to load another OS first to reconfigure the partition? I tried reinstalling puppy from puppy live and it wouldn't let me. Said something about the main partition was in use and couldn't be unmounted. It also recommended I use another OS to resize/delete partitions.

Rahl

ally

#5 Post by ally »

you must boot from the cd and enter 'puppy pfix=ram'

this will stop puppy loading your savefile and allow you to access the hdd in gparted

I would just delete the partition and start again adding a swap file and see if it solves the problem, if not add more ram, more ram never hurts!

:)

Rahl333

#6 Post by Rahl333 »

I'll try that in the next few days.

Thanks for the help ally!

gcmartin

Your desire to start PUP use safely with 1GB RAM

#7 Post by gcmartin »

@Ally gives good advice. I concur. If its possible, based on all heard in this thread you can:
  1. add RAM to 1GB
  2. create a multisession Puppy bootable CD/DVD from any 32bit ISO of your choice
  3. boot that CD/DVD
  4. when system gets to desktop fill in the initial setup screen
  5. go to Menu>System and select Gparted to setup your hard drive by adding a 2GB partition for your SWAP partition
  6. Then, upon completion, shutdown and allow the system to save your session's work to YOUR CD/DVD YOU BOOTED FROM.
  7. Lastly, reboot your CD/DVD and you will notice the boot-time messages showing the results of what you did earlier to setup Puppy
  8. Now, you can freely use, tailor, manipulate anything you see fit.
This should get you started comfortably and with very little issues.

Considering your plan, an additional benefit is that your PC with 1GB of RAM will comfortably run any of the 32bit PUPs you will ever choose from this community
Further running from CD/DVD will allow your PUP to run as fast/faster than normal without making/maintaining HDD changes for anything except personal data of your choice. So, even as an initial start to get comfortable with your PUP, it offers a level of safe operation.

Here to help

Rahl333

#8 Post by Rahl333 »

Thanks gcmartin! I'll give it a shot. 8)

Dewbie

#9 Post by Dewbie »

Flash wrote:
Ahh, I'm not so sure your problem is lack of RAM. It could be; 256 MB is about the minimum for running Puppy without problems
His problem is most likely lack of RAM (or swap).
Once online--even with older Puppies--you get past 256MB quickly.
And the newer-kernel Puppies require even more (RAM).

Rahl333 wrote:
Dell Dimension 2400. Intel Celeron 2.2 GHz, 256mb RAM and 40gb hard drive
Almost identical to our family box, except it's a Pentium 2.2, with RAM upgraded to 1.5G.
You can probably get another 128 or 256MB stick (it's probably DDR / PC2700 / 333MHz) for next to nothing.

Which Puppy version are you using?

Rahl333

#10 Post by Rahl333 »

Precise puppy. I'll have to check on the exact version.

I'm planning on seeing if the swap will solve my problem. And yes I found a compatible 1gb stick for $20. I might do that anyway because I've never installed my own ram (haha i'm a newbie) and I would like to try it.

Dewbie

#11 Post by Dewbie »

Rahl333 wrote:
And yes I found a compatible 1gb stick for $20. I've never installed my own ram (haha i'm a newbie) and I would like to try it.
You should be able to find 128MB or 256MB for $5 (at the most).
The larger-capacity RAM stick ALWAYS goes in the first socket.
(usually marked "DIMM1")

Rahl333

#12 Post by Rahl333 »

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

Ted Dog

#13 Post by Ted Dog »

instead of running pfix=ram (it makes things lot faster but will use most of your RAM choose the other pfix=noload or noram whatever its called today. it will lock the CD in drive but offer more usable space. If you are using fugal install with swap try the noram setting to free most RAM at a slight drop in program load speed.
If you have no HD and a dvd burner use DVD media for multisession boots.

Also check if a upgraded X windows driver exists for your mobo that could be the real source of the shudder.

Ted Dog

#14 Post by Ted Dog »

Also I have many old RAM cards from those days if you can post the version you need I could send it via mail if in USA

Rahl333

#15 Post by Rahl333 »

Thanks Ted! I'll check and get back to you.

session

#16 Post by session »

Dewbie wrote:
Dell Dimension 2400. Intel Celeron 2.2 GHz, 256mb RAM and 40gb hard drive
Almost identical to our family box, except it's a Pentium 2.2, with RAM upgraded to 1.5G.
You can probably get another 128 or 256MB stick (it's probably DDR / PC2700 / 333MHz) for next to nothing.
Well, there's a full-fledged Pentium vs a Celeron...
There's the weakish integrated graphics chip...

So I second Flash, it could be lack of RAM.
Your goal is to be frugal, so before you buy anything, try:

* Wary 5.5
* Opera Browser
* older flash10 (use GetFlash)
* latest flash (on my modest kit, latest flash does hw acceleration way better)
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

Rahl333

#17 Post by Rahl333 »

Perfect! Thanks! I'm excited to see what I can do.

bigpup

#18 Post by bigpup »

BUT when I try and surf the net it loads extremely slowly. Youtube vids are super slow. Google searches are a little better but anything more than that runs very slow. My computer froze a few times and I had to reboot.
Yes, I agree, more ram will help. However it is not the only thing.
The graphics driver you are using has a big effect. It could cause these problems.
Using a graphics driver that is specifically made for your graphics hardware will always give the best performance. I have seen issues like you describe cured by changing to a specific hardware driver from using the generic Vesa driver.

Youtube vids

The quality setting for the video can overpower older graphics hardware.
Dialing back this setting can greatly improve viewing speed. Most internet videos have a quality setting that can be adjusted.
Attachments
quality.jpg
(20.65 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Dewbie

#19 Post by Dewbie »

I'm currently running Puppy Linux 4.1.2 (frugal) on a P2 / 350.
It's from late 2008 (kernel 2.6.25.16).

Java 6, update 26 has been added.
As shown, it's a massive resource hog.
But my dial-up software (and some websites) require it.
Attachments
412-with-java.png
412 with Java
(13.38 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

Q5sys

#20 Post by Q5sys »

Ted Dog wrote:instead of running pfix=ram (it makes things lot faster but will use most of your RAM choose the other pfix=noload or noram whatever its called today. it will lock the CD in drive but offer more usable space. If you are using fugal install with swap try the noram setting to free most RAM at a slight drop in program load speed.
If you have no HD and a dvd burner use DVD media for multisession boots.

Also check if a upgraded X windows driver exists for your mobo that could be the real source of the shudder.
If he's running off a CD... isnt he going to notice more of a speed issue when trying to use his system than his limited RAM?
CD's are extremely slow to operate from.