Google Chrome and latest version of flash player

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
stowpirate

Google Chrome and latest version of flash player

#1 Post by stowpirate »

Just located the plugin for flash on the working Chrome v24, it getting complicated as it appears you cannot just copy the files over into the firefox/mozilla plugin directory. Flash is now on v11.7... and chrome v26 on my system will not let me run it as root so won't work in Puppy.

/opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash

and files involved are

libpepflashplayer.so
manifest.json

{
"description": "Pepper Flash Player",
"name": "Flapper",
"version": "11.5.31.137",
"x-flapper-revision": "1150867",
"x-ppapi-arch": "ia32",
"x-ppapi-os": "linux",
"x-ppapi-required-interfaces": [
"PPB_AudioConfig;1.1|PPB_AudioConfig;1.0",
"PPB_AudioInput(Dev);0.3|PPB_AudioInput(Dev);0.2",
"PPB_Audio;1.0",
"PPB_BrowserFont_Trusted;1.0",
"PPB_Buffer(Dev);0.4",
"PPB_CharSet(Dev);0.4",
"PPB_Core;1.0",
"PPB_Crypto(Dev);0.1",
"PPB_CursorControl(Dev);0.4",
"PPB_FileChooser(Dev);0.6|PPB_FileChooser(Dev);0.5",
"PPB_FileChooserTrusted;0.6|PPB_FileChooserTrusted;0.5",
"PPB_FileRef;1.0",
"PPB_Flash_Clipboard;5.0|PPB_Flash_Clipboard;4.0",
"PPB_Flash_File_FileRef;2",
"PPB_Flash_File_ModuleLocal;3",
"PPB_Flash_FontFile;0.1|PPB_PDF;1",
"PPB_FlashFullscreen;1.0|PPB_FlashFullscreen;0.1",
"PPB_Flash;13.0|PPB_Flash;12.6|PPB_Flash;12.5|PPB_Flash;12.4",
"PPB_Flash_Menu;0.2",
"PPB_Graphics2D;1.0",
"PPB_Graphics3D;1.0",
"PPB_ImageData;1.0",
"PPB_IMEInputEvent(Dev);0.2|PPB_IMEInputEvent(Dev);0.1",
"PPB_InputEvent;1.0",
"PPB_Instance;1.0",
"PPB_Memory(Dev);0.1",
"PPB_NetAddress_Private;1.1|PPB_NetAddress_Private;1.0|PPB_NetAddress_Private;0.1",
"PPB_OpenGLES2ChromiumMapSub;1.0|PPB_OpenGLES2ChromiumMapSub(Dev);1.0|PPB_GLESChromiumTextureMapping(Dev);0.1",
"PPB_OpenGLES2;1.0",
"PPB_TCPSocket_Private;0.4|PPB_TCPSocket_Private;0.3",
"PPB_TextInput(Dev);0.2|PPB_TextInput(Dev);0.1",
"PPB_UDPSocket_Private;0.4|PPB_UDPSocket_Private;0.3",
"PPB_URLLoader;1.0",
"PPB_URLLoaderTrusted;0.3",
"PPB_URLRequestInfo;1.0",
"PPB_URLResponseInfo;1.0",
"PPB_URLUtil(Dev);0.6",
"PPB_Var;1.1|PPB_Var;1.0",
"PPB_VideoCapture(Dev);0.3|PPB_VideoCapture(Dev);0.2",
"PPB_View;1.0"
]

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

Just checking: do you want help with something, or are you just describing your observations?

Yes, the newfangled "salt and pepper" plugin system is unique to Chrome (Google doing its bit for standardisation/compatibility/interoperability :) ).
But you should be able to run Chrome as root if you really want. I've seen mention of a special command line option, and there is also a binary hack that you can do. I don't remember doing the binary hack for a while, so maybe I am using the command line option these days.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

stowpirate

#3 Post by stowpirate »

disciple wrote:Just checking: do you want help with something, or are you just describing your observations?

Yes, the newfangled "salt and pepper" plugin system is unique to Chrome (Google doing its bit for standardisation/compatibility/interoperability :) ).
But you should be able to run Chrome as root if you really want. I've seen mention of a special command line option, and there is also a binary hack that you can do. I don't remember doing the binary hack for a while, so maybe I am using the command line option these days.
Bit of both really. They are observations which some might find interesting. Also how do I run Chrome v26. as it refuses to run as root?

The one on this thread works albeit old version of flash

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84155

666philb

#4 Post by 666philb »

What puppy are you using?
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

stowpirate

#5 Post by stowpirate »

666philb wrote:What puppy are you using?

OscarTalks

#6 Post by OscarTalks »

I was taking a look at Google Chrome for the first time yesterday. I have version 26.0.1410.63 and was testing in Lucid Plus and Wheezy.

I don't have any trouble getting it to run as root because I just insert the --user-data-dir switch into the wrapper script along with the --allow-outdated-plugins switch.

The Pepper Flash plugin doesn't work properly though. Playback of Flash content is jerky and stuttery. It is a version of Flash (11.7.x.x) which is not supported in Linux so maybe not surprising. Chromium and Iron do not have this plugin and load the normal Flash Player from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins if it is installed.

With Google Chrome, make sure you have a suitable Flash Player installed and then go to the plugins page via settings or chrome://plugins. Click on "+ details" on the right to expand the page and you will see that the 2 Flash Players are listed separately so you can disable the Pepper Flash one and use only the good one in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.
Oscar in England

stowpirate

#7 Post by stowpirate »

OscarTalks wrote:I was taking a look at Google Chrome for the first time yesterday. I have version 26.0.1410.63 and was testing in Lucid Plus and Wheezy.

I don't have any trouble getting it to run as root because I just insert the --user-data-dir switch into the wrapper script along with the --allow-outdated-plugins switch.

The Pepper Flash plugin doesn't work properly though. Playback of Flash content is jerky and stuttery. It is a version of Flash (11.7.x.x) which is not supported in Linux so maybe not surprising. Chromium and Iron do not have this plugin and load the normal Flash Player from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins if it is installed.

With Google Chrome, make sure you have a suitable Flash Player installed and then go to the plugins page via settings or chrome://plugins. Click on "+ details" on the right to expand the page and you will see that the 2 Flash Players are listed separately so you can disable the Pepper Flash one and use only the good one in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.
Can you give the info about the Pepper Plugin in a tad more simple English as I do not fully understand:

--user-data-dir
--allow-outdated-plugins switch

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

Assuming you are launching Google Chrome via the script /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome open that file as text and look for the bottom line. Mine reads:-

Code: Select all

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome" "$@"
Add those two items --user-data-dir and --allow-outdated-plugins to that line before the "$@" (with spaces) so it looks like this:-

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome" --user-data-dir --allow-outdated-plugins "$@"
Be sure to have a carriage return at the end so you have started a new blank line below. Save and close.

(Note: You can specify another location with --user-data-dir=/root/some/other/directory but just --user-data-dir on its own allows Google Chrome to run as root and uses the default location of /root/.config/chromium for the user profile data. Inserting --allow-outdated-plugins prevents the browser from complaining if, out of choice or neccessity, we are using an older version of Flash Player.)

As for Pepper Flash, what I am saying is that I think we can't use it. If the Puppy you are running doesn't have a Flash Player installed then use GetFlash or install a .PET ( http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84267 ) and then use the plugins settings to disable Pepper Flash and make sure the browser only loads and uses the one that works.

I am no expert, so anyone with more experience or other ideas is welcome to chime in.
Oscar in England

disciple

#9 Post by disciple »

OscarTalks wrote:The Pepper Flash plugin doesn't work properly though. Playback of Flash content is jerky and stuttery. It is a version of Flash (11.7.x.x) which is not supported in Linux so maybe not surprising.
If it was truly not supported then you wouldn't have it at all.
Perhaps it is supported by Google instead of Adobe.
Re the jerkiness, it would be interesting to run top and see if the pepper plugin is maxing out your cpu and the old plugin isn't.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

OscarTalks

#10 Post by OscarTalks »

A bit of an update on this. Having seen some information in the Dpup Wheezy thread I have added --audio-buffer-size=2048 to the script and now YouTube and other Flash content is playing perfectly with the pepperflash plugin. I'm using Google Chrome 26.0.1410.63 in Wheezy with no other Flash Player installed.

Uploaded in case people want to test and report:-

Google Chrome 26.0.1410.63 .sfs
download = http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/624e595e
md5sum = 29405b9ebda5c93dd8c87cce3bd854a5

Google Chrome 26.0.1410.63 .pet
download = http://www1.datafilehost.com/d/8cc84e15
md5sum = 004f35cacb52220974bba14693d7f7ae
Oscar in England

pemasu

#11 Post by pemasu »

Here is generic google-chrome fixator.

Download google-chrome .deb. Install it. Then install this pet. It has the bbe binary editor included with pinstall.sh script. Together they fix the installed google-chrome otherwise so that run-as-root restriction has been removed and also the audio problem will be fixed. There is cache limitation to 10 Mb.

Cheers.
Attachments
google-chrome-fixator-0.0.1.pet
(14.16 KiB) Downloaded 1076 times

stowpirate

#12 Post by stowpirate »

pemasu wrote:Here is generic google-chrome fixator.

Download google-chrome .deb. Install it. Then install this pet. It has the bbe binary editor included with pinstall.sh script. Together they fix the installed google-chrome otherwise so that run-as-root restriction has been removed and also the audio problem will be fixed. There is cache limitation to 10 Mb.

Cheers.
Thank you for the fixator, works as described :)

trueriver

#13 Post by trueriver »

OscarTalks wrote:Assuming you are launching Google Chrome via the script /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome open that file as text and look for the bottom line. Mine reads:-

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/chrome" "$@"
Add those two items --user-data-dir and --allow-outdated-plugins to that line before the "$@" ...
On chromium v 25.0.1364.160 the file to edit is called /usr/bin/chromium-browser and the line to edit looks like this

exec $LIBDIR/$APPNAME $CHROMIUM_FLAGS  "$@"
but please note it is NOT the last line in the file, it is the line just before the last "else" line, a few lines up from the bottom.

Having found the correct line I edited it to look like this

exec $LIBDIR/$APPNAME $CHROMIUM_FLAGS  --user-data-dir "$@"
and as soon as I saved, it instantly worked :)

I am not needing the other flag as I am not using flash nor any other "outdated" flag, but I imagine that will work too if you also include the --allow-outdated-plugins switch as Oscar suggests.

hope this helps somebody