Missing libs when installing Firefox and Chrome

Using applications, configuring, problems
slvrldy17

Missing libs when installing Firefox and Chrome

#1 Post by slvrldy17 »

Working with an old ASUS EeePC 701 to get it set up as a Puppy machine for a friend to use on the road. Using Wary 5.5 which loads and runs OK - so far - and am trying to get Firefox and Chrome from the Quik Pet package installed and working. Missing the following libs - is there a link to an available package that would have these ready to use?

For Chrome -
libdbus-1.so.3
libgconf-2.so.4.1.1
libgconf-2.so4
qt-everywhere-opensource-src

For Firefox -
libmozsqlie3.so
libdbus-glib-1.so2
libdbus-1.so.3

Thanks,
Alice
Always give without remembering - always receive without forgetting.
Alice

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Alice,

You have installed QuickPet in Wary 5.5? I didn't think there was a version of QuickPet for Wary. Packages offered this way may not be ideal.

Chrome in Wary is always going to be very difficult because the core libraries are too old. Only a really old version of Chrome will work. There are a couple of possibilities here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 9&start=41

Recent versions of Firefox should work but you need to install dbus and dbus-glib. Just enter "dbus" into the search field of Puppy Package Manager and you should find them. Alternatively you could try installing this nobus-0.2-i486.pet from technosaurus:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 93&start=1

Is Seamonkey not suitable for you? Personally I don't usually ever need any other browser. Let us know how you get on or if you need further guidance.
Oscar in England

slvrldy17

#3 Post by slvrldy17 »

Hi Oscar,

Yes, Quik pet will install in most 5.x versions of Puppy that I've tried - mostly various versions of Wary that I have used - it's quite handy for finding some of the more popular pet pkgs in one place. This project is for a friend who spends much of her time on the road and needs something very small, light and relatively secure since her employer does not allow the use her work laptop for private business. Her reason for going with Firefox and/or Chrome is that she is familiar with them and they are compatible with the web sites she uses. I'll give the links you supplied a try and come back here to report how it goes -

many thanks for the reply...

Alice
Alice

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

Hi Alice,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure about the specifications of that computer, but my other thought is that if those two browsers are important to your friend then you might be better off trying to use a different Puppy.

The latest Slacko 5.5 has Firefox included (rather than Seamonkey). So does Wheezy and so does Exprimo. With any of those it would be much easier to add a recent or latest Google Chrome as well so she would have both the familiar browsers. My oldest machine here is a desktop, but I find that Exprimo 5.x.15 (with the 2.x series kernel) runs just as smoothly as Wary and Chrome installs and runs fine.
Oscar in England

mikeslr

firefox missing libs

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi slvrldy17,

Oscar talks is right about the core packages in wary being too old to run recent chromes. The last chrome which ran under a wary>to racy>saluki & carolina is chrome 12. Both Saluki and 'lina-lite (uses non-PAE kernel) run well on my Asus 701sd.
Follow Watchdog's links regarding obtaining the libs necessary for recent firefox to work in wary. But note the warning. That said, I installed firefox 18 in wary 5.5 and have upgraded (Firefox>Menu>Help>Upgrade) to firefox 20 without a problem either with firefox or any application which came with wary 5.5.http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 350#679350.

As your friend will be on the road, I recommend he also keep a duplicate of the bootable system on a USB-key: "Murphy's Law."

mikeslr

slvrldy17

#6 Post by slvrldy17 »

Mike - some good advice there - Murphy has long been an adversary of mine and having a backup is a good thing.

Mike and Oscar - seriously considering going to Retro Precise Puppy for this project for the sake of compatibility with current software. FYI the little ASUS 701 EeePC was the machine that started the "netbook" craze a few years ago but unlike the many netbooks that followed it does not have an Intel Atom processor - it uses an under clocked laptop Celeron processor at if memory serves about 700mhz thus requiring a non PAE kernel. Also has only 4GB of solid state drive (not a hard drive) on board, soldered to the main board and thus not easily upgraded/changed, but does accept up to 2GB of RAM. While there have been Puppies built for the many variations of the EeePC I'm not sure of their status or how current they are - hence looking first at Wary and now considering Retro Precise Puppy. The big advantage of the EeePC 701 is it's small size and light weight - my friend already has plenty of stuff to lug around in her travels...
Alice

slvrldy17

#7 Post by slvrldy17 »

After some thought went ahead and loaded Retro Precise Puppy on the EeePC. Everything works and my friend is a happy camper now that she has a reasonably secure way to do personal stuff on the road. Thanks Guys for your help and suggestions...

Alice
Alice