Usability report on HP Omnibook Xe3 GC

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Faravid

Usability report on HP Omnibook Xe3 GC

#1 Post by Faravid »

Hi, I ran into Puppy Linux recently and wanted to share how Puppy Linux works for me.

Puppy Linux version: Slacko 5.5

Computer: HP Omnibook Xe3 GC laptop with 512MB SDRAM (max) and 12GB SSD.
Other: Memory expanded with CF reader (PCMCIA), original modem/network card replaced with wireless card and 2 internal antennas, 2 port USB 2.0 PCMCIA card installed.

The report:
Running and installation: Puppy Linux runs fine from a CD and install on the SSD went great. Boots in ~30 seconds or so from the SSD.
Internet: Wireless card was detected and works fine, also Huawei Hilink 3G modem works without even running any configs.
Storage: SSD, CF card and DVD drive all detected and working fine.
Power saving: Does not work until you add ACPI=force line to the boot manager (GRUB).
Sound: Works very well.
Video: Linux's Savage driver sucks in general but works ok in normal usage such as Libreoffice and internet browsing, don't even try flash, also youtube lags like hell, resolution was detected right. DVD playback not tested yet.
Touchpad and keyboard: No issues other than special buttons don't work (sleep, www, email...)
Expansion bays (PCMCIA): Functions perfectly. USB 2.0 and CF card reader installed and works great.
Stability: Great, no hiccups so far.

Conclusion:
If the ACPI support were detected right, Puppy linux Slackware would work pretty much perfectly for computer of this age and specs.

Notes:
Please note that other Linux distros cannot detect the ACPI either, I have tried Lubuntu and Xubuntu before.

eddydl

Omnibook ex3 Upgrade Ram and wifi Card

#2 Post by eddydl »

Hi!
I resurect old post, I would ask you information about the upgrade my very old (very :smileysurprised:) notebook: ram and connection via wifi.

The questions in details is: max ram that I can suitable and which kind card I have to buy to connect it by wifi. For example, I can put two memory bank 512mb until 1gb in total? or max 256 mb for memory bank each?

I found several manual, but I haven't understood very good.

Best regards.

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

Details of your machine would be useful even if just "same as above"
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett