Uninstalling Openbox from Slacko 5.5

Booting, installing, newbie
PaulR

Uninstalling Openbox from Slacko 5.5

#1 Post by PaulR »

Having dabbled with Openbox before I thought I'd give it a whirl on Puppy but it seems a little creaky so I'd like to remove it.

I uninstalled LXPanel as that was the panel I'd chosen in the 'Openbox with extras' package install but there's no option to uninstall Openbox itself (ie it doesn't appear in the list when I click the uninstall button in PPM) so I need to do it manually I guess :(

Is there a list of files/locations generated during install or somewhere in the original package that I can examine? I'd prefer not to leave anything lying around!

TIA

Paul

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi, Paul.

Two possibilities here:

1) If you yourself have added openbox to slacko, there will be a mention of your install in the Puppy Package Manager (PPM). Launch the PPM, click on un-install, and then on openbox in the un-install list.

2)a) If it is the default window manager (I don't know since I haven't used a slacko in quite a while), use pfind with "openbox" as search parameter. It will give you a list of all "openbox" files. You can then remove them by hand using the "actions" sub-menu in pfind -> erase.

2)b) Also, you may want to look in /root/.packages/builtin for an "openbox" file (if it is a built-in version). All the files in that directory are actually lists of what is where for a particular program. It will be longer, you'll have to do it by hand, but you won't miss anything.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

PaulR

#3 Post by PaulR »

Thanks musher0.

Option 1 isn't possible (sorry if this wasn't clear in my original post)

2b is what I'd ideally like but it isn't a built-in package so 2a looks like the only option.

Although I wonder if I could download the package to somewhere else rather than installing it and see what's inside?

Regards,

Paul

simargl

#4 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:07, edited 1 time in total.

`f00

#5 Post by `f00 »

@PaulR
Usually the summary of an installed dotpet is in ~/.packages/<name-of-package>.files - mostly ppm (Puppy Package Manager) does a fair job of uninstalling dotpets..

Unfortunately sometimes it doesn't and it destroys the summary as part of the process so you have little idea of where the remnants if any might be! This is one of the reasons I make a backup of the *.files summary just in case I'd like to check a ppm uninstall manually.

Sure, you can dl the package (make sure it's the same one) and rename (*.pet to *.tar.gz), then extract it or examine the archive with xarchive to see what's inside.

Caveat - some dotpets modify basic files as part of the install, if you have a backup savefile made prior to the install it's fairly easy to recover if necessary.

hth

PaulR

#6 Post by PaulR »

Thanks simargl that will definitely help! :D

Oh, hang on.. the file list is in ~/.packages as 'f00 says :oops:

I figured that an install might well change some files as well as just adding new ones so eradicating it entirely will probably not be easy!

Ah well, this is the first instance of something going er, not quite right, I've experienced in Puppy so far which is pretty amazing.

I wonder why it didn't show up in PPM as uninstallable, I suppose it was something to do with the extra steps in installing the panel that confused things.

Thanks all for the help.

Paul