Slacko 5.5 slows after a few hours

Using applications, configuring, problems
nathanallen347

Slacko 5.5 slows after a few hours

#1 Post by nathanallen347 »

Okay, so I have Slacko Puppy 5.5 on this computer, I don't know this computer's specs exactly but I do know it's WAY over the minimum requirements for Slacko, but, eventually, after about say 30-40 minutes of it being on, even if it's not in use, it starts slowing down noticeably, this does not happen with any other Puppy derivatives, I'm wondering if its a problem with 5.5? Has anyone else experienced this?
EDIT: I think I have exaggerated the time period in which between it does this, it's more around 1-2 hours, it may be a cooling problem but I recently got a new internal fan, I do notice though that it does get quite hot, it doesn't get that hot on any other OS either except maybe windows

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

I do notice though that it does get quite hot, it doesn't get that hot on any other OS either except maybe windows
Check the menu to see if the CPU frequency-scaling tool is included.
(I can't check for this, as I don't use Slacko.)
If it isn't, go here.

DM was on fire!

#3 Post by DM was on fire! »

Define this:
I do notice though that it does get quite hot, it doesn't get that hot on any other OS either except maybe windows
What other OSes have you tried?

nathanallen347

Slowing over time? (Slacko 5.5)

#4 Post by nathanallen347 »

These are all the different flavors of puppy I have tried:
Lucid
Precise
MacPup
Puppy(the one originally called Puppy, and actually this one has the same problem as Slacko, it slows over time for me)
Wary
and of course Slacko, I have switched back to Lucid though to resolve the problem, the only problem I had with Lucid was wireless detection, I have since then learned of Frisbee and it works extremely well, I'm still interested in this topic though, what might have caused the slow down? And yes, I did find the CPU scale, I think Slacko maybe clocks my CPU a bit too much when it gets hot, that could be the problem but I'm not sure, any other ideas for why this happens?
Btw my computer's specs:
Intel(R) Celeron(R) M Processor 1.5 GHz, 1 GB of RAM, I know the video card driver is by Intel and I'm pretty sure it's something like Intel Mobile something, I can't pinpoint it exactly, it's a Dell Inspiron B130.

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

The current mix of puppies overhead laptops, I dropped back a full version range (puppy 4.0s) to regain a cool laptop. I'm sure the heat has distressed my battery since it only has 5% capacity remaining, a horrible drop-off. That and the mousepad stays frozen on boot majority of the times.
I've been with puppy a long time but can't use the normal releases with a laptop and feel safe about it. :cry: