Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 19 Apr 2014, 16:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Is it feasible to make a Puppy computer run entirely in RAM?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
JohnReedlol

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2013, 14:46    Post subject:  Is it feasible to make a Puppy computer run entirely in RAM?
Subject description: I noticed that there are no computers that run entirely in RAM - no USB - no hdd; can I make one?

I'm new here and I've never run puppy, but I heard that puppy can load from a detachable USB onto ram and then run programs in RAM. Is it possible for a computer with no hard drive and no network connections to load Puppy from a USB onto RAM? After that, can the USB be removed so that the computer can run without access to any form of non-volatile memory?

Ideally, the only operating system on the computer would be Puppy. After it's been created, I'd like the no-hard-drive computer running on Puppy to be able to connect to the internet and download files and programs to RAM and then run them from RAM.

Is that sort of a computer possible and relatively simple to create?
ally

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2013, 14:51    Post subject:  

hey john

this can certainly be done using a cdrom, puppy has been designed this way, after booting from cd, it can be removed from the drive if needed

Smile
dancytron

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2013, 14:55    Post subject:  

If I understand what you are asking, that's how it runs by default when you boot from a CD or DVD for the first time.

To get it to do that from usb, you'd just need to set the boot parameter pfix=ram.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2013, 19:19    Post subject:  

Yes, Puppy runs entirely in RAM when you boot the CD or DVD the first time, and also every time thereafter if you save to the CD or DVD (which makes it into a multisession Puppy). I've been running Puppy from multisession DVDs for at least 6 years, in a computer without a hard disk drive.
Ted Dog

PostPosted: Thu 09 May 2013, 19:24    Post subject:  

Yes, fastest way to run a computer, I've got so use to the fast startup of software like firefox browser, the first few times back using windows I think something is wrong... Wink
Sylvander

PostPosted: Fri 10 May 2013, 01:24    Post subject:  

When running a Frugal install...
[Optical disk (or Flash Drive install) plus pupsave in use]...
I seem to remember there's a command...
That can be placed in some file?
To tell the Puppy to load EVERYTHING [including the contents of the pupsave]...
Into RAM.

Anyone know how?
partsman

PostPosted: Fri 10 May 2013, 12:26    Post subject:  

hello all
I think the best way to do this would be to boot puppy from usb/cd
and either multi-session dvd or save to usb stick and use pupsave config pet ! This way the user could control the save and save file would be in use but any new aplications or whatever would run in ram the user could then at shutdown decide to save it to the save file or not ! Wink

sunburnt

PostPosted: Fri 10 May 2013, 14:36    Post subject:  

Linux loads the kernel into ram of course.
Puppy can load it`s main SFS boot file into ram also.

But the Save file is always on a partition
Puppy has been hacked to to load it into ram also.
This only speeds up PET apps. that are installed into the Save file.
SFS add-on files are not in ram, but they could be loaded there too.
tallboy

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 11:52    Post subject:  

sunburnt wrote:
Puppy can load it`s main SFS boot file into ram also.

Sorry, sunburnt, but that is an incorrect statement. I ONLY run from a live CD/DVD, and when my puppy starts, all relevant files from the multisession disc are loaded into RAM.

See the image below for the content on my multisession CD when it is mounted. All those files are read and loaded into RAM at bootup, and if I need the disc reader/writer after booting, let's say to play some music, I just remove the puppy disc, and still have accsess to all programs running (fast) from RAM. But they are not visible as separate SFS, dirs and files in RAM.

With a multisession CD-R, or better - a DVD-R, you can save to the disc at shutdown if you want to. After the first 'save' at shutdown, which ensures that the disc is kept 'open' for new sessions, you can later save at any time - not only at shutdown. See the dated folders in the picture, they are all saves.

JohnReedlol, as others have said here, what you describe is the normal way to run a puppy at first run, as a live CD/DVD. Puppy was designed that way, to avoid any risk of messing up an already existing OS on a hd. Any references to savefiles and frugal installs, demand using a hd or USB storage. The simple way is a multisession CD/DVD. You have to use the puppy's Menu -> Multimedia -> Burniso2CD program to burn a puppy .iso to a new CD/DVD as multisession, then you can save numerous times (sessions) to that disc, no need for any hd.
All the saved sessions are accessible when the disc is mounted, so you can actuallly read several versions of a document that is saved to your multisession CD/DVD, old files are not written over if you use an ordinary, cheap CD-R or DVD-R disc. You may also save stuff for keeps, which is not read at bootup - but still available, by putting it into a directory named /archive.
You can of course use a USB stick as well, but with a disc you usually don't risk to loose anything.

I recommend you check out the section devoted to multisession here in the forum: Multi-session live-CD/DVD

I also recommend that you follow the link to puppylinux.com at the top of this forum page. There you'll find a tech section that describes how to (and how not to) install a puppy.

Please give us some feedback on your success in running without a hd!

tallboy
cd-content.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   46.2 KB
 Viewed   247 Time(s)

cd-content.jpg

Bruce B

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 13:56    Post subject:  

tallboy wrote:
sunburnt wrote:
Puppy can load it`s main SFS boot
file into ram also.

Sorry, sunburnt, but that is an incorrect statement. I ONLY run from a live CD/DVD, and when my puppy starts, all relevant files from the
multisession disc are loaded into RAM.

If you can remove the Live CD/DVD during the session AND the machine
still runs properly, which is often the case, I suggest the main SFS is in
RAM by virtue of a copy operation which occured during bootup.

Otherwise?

Karl Godt

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 14:26    Post subject:  

It seems that the idea is to have a Puppy.iso inside RAM and boot it from there . Probably possible if the RAM never looses currency power .
DrDeaf

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 14:55    Post subject: Re: Is it feasible to make a Puppy computer run entirely in RAM?
Subject description: I noticed that there are no computers that run entirely in RAM - no USB - no hdd; can I make one?

JohnReedlol wrote:
I'm new here and I've never run puppy, but I heard that puppy can load from a detachable USB onto ram and then run programs in RAM. Is it possible for a computer with no hard drive and no network connections to load Puppy from a USB onto RAM? After that, can the USB be removed so that the computer can run without access to any form of non-volatile memory?

Ideally, the only operating system on the computer would be Puppy. After it's been created, I'd like the no-hard-drive computer running on Puppy to be able to connect to the internet and download files and programs to RAM and then run them from RAM.

Is that sort of a computer possible and relatively simple to create?

Hi there....
Is this possible? Yes.
Relatively simple? Yes, once you get enough info to make your decisions.
There is a thread which will provide you with the info you need here
You have several ways to go.... read the thread fully and you should be good to go. What I do is included in the thread. If you don't want to multi-boot, just feed it one ISO! Easy....
Questions? No problem!
Cheers!
sunburnt

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 16:42    Post subject:  

Quote:
It seems that the idea is to have a Puppy.iso inside RAM and boot it from there.

Possible if grub2 or grub4dos will mount the iso file, and I think it will.

tallboy; It is absolutely correct. That`s what Load-To-Ram means!
The kernel and initrd.gz are always extracted to ram in every distro.
The main SFS file`s all that`s left at first bootup, then the Save file`s made.
The only thing not loadable to ram is the Save file.
To do this would mean a timed copy down, like USB Puppy does.

I believe Pizzasgood hacked Puppy many years ago to load the Save file.
DrDeaf

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 19:08    Post subject:  

sunburnt wrote:

Possible if grub2 or grub4dos will mount the iso file, and I think it will.

Hi, In my experiences with the Puppy I use, Grub4Dos works well, although I have moved on... Expand the iso file onto a bootable USB device then run Grub4Dos. However, if multiboot is wanted, a separate partition on the USB device is needed for each Puppy choice.
I do not think that Grub4Dos permits booting from a bare ISO simply copied to a USB device.

All Puppies do not behave identically. I noted that the OP did not know what Puppy he would want to use. So, there would be an advantage to him in setting his USB up to boot from any ISO found on the device. Much easier to check them all out with his specific hardware (also not known)
Hope this helps!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 19:56    Post subject:  

DrDeaf wrote:
I do not think that Grub4Dos permits booting from a bare ISO simply copied to a USB device.

ISObooter.
Page 1 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: