Google Earth 7.0 and 7.1

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
OscarTalks

Google Earth 7.0 and 7.1

#1 Post by OscarTalks »

These are uploaded for testing purposes with no warranty. They will not work for everybody. It depends on computer specifications and Puppy version and especially graphics hardware and drivers. They are resource-hungry and tend to store a lot of cache data in /root/.googleearth but this can be deleted as necessary from tools>options>cache if you notice your save-file space is getting gobbled up. Alternatively you can move this out of your pupsave to /mnt/home and symlink it back in.

They can be started from the menu entry in the "Internet" category or in console with the command googleearth or google-earth and it is a minor detail, but I have the correct icons displaying in the JWM window and tray.

In my testing, the 7.0.3.8542 version works fine in Debian and Ubuntu Puppy variants (Precise, Wheezy, Lucid, Exprimo, Raring) with no console errors, but won't start in Slacko or Racy.

The 7.1 version is a more recent release and is considerably larger. For me it shows some console errors in all Puppies but runs in all of them including Slacko and Racy, however the photos don't always display and some other features may not work. (Previous packages of 7.1 now removed)

If neither of these versions work for you it may be because your graphics hardware is too old or too low spec.

As a fall-back, I have also uploaded the old faithful Google Earth 6.0.3.2197 with the correct icon displaying. I find that the fonts in this one look a bit ugly sometimes, not sure if that can be changed.

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England