Do I need latest Skype?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
rmcellig

Do I need latest Skype?

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I am using Skype 2.1.0.81 in Lucid 5.2.8. Is there any reason why I should upgrade to the latest Skype pet for lucid if there is such a thing? The version I have is quick and seems to work fine but just in the event something happens, it's nice to know there is a newer Skype for Lucid 5.2.8 if need be.

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

If you've got an MSN Messenger account, you may end up having to switch to Skype for MSN instant messaging sometime in the near future, and I think only the newer versions will allow you to use your MSN/Live accounts.

Other than that, if the version you're using works, by all means, feel free to keep using it. :) I think the newer versions also remove some of the features you may be used to in v2.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft implements something, at some point, that limits the use of the older versions of Skype.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks Makoto! I don't use MSN messaging but you do raise an interesting point that at some time maybe soon, my version will no longer work if MS continues to update Skype. Is there a pet version of the latest Skype for Lucid 5.2.8?

DM was on fire!

#4 Post by DM was on fire! »

I was using a Skype 4.0 .pet and began experiencing issues with it crashing upon bootup. I don't know what was causing it, although a downgrade to an old Skype 2.1 beta .pet works (I'm running the same version of LuPu you are). Sadly the most recent version seems to be this? As the most recent Skype 4.1 .sfs basically says LuPu is too old. :/

ETA - Aha! A quick look says it works but you need to install Qt/Dbus dependencies. Take a peek at this and good luck.

ndujoe1

#5 Post by ndujoe1 »

IMO, if it works you don't need to upgrade it. I have been using Skype 2.1.0.81 for a long time.

DM was on fire!

#6 Post by DM was on fire! »

I may find myself switching back to that before long because I just spent all kinds of time installing Qt/Dbus and I get a GLIBC error. I'm just gonna miss having everything all in one.

rmcellig

#7 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks ndujoe1

I needed that. Never had a problem with the version I am using. I guess the same goes for you to?

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

I actually wouldn't mind trying the newer versions, as I do have an MSN Messenger account - but as far as I know, they won't work with my Puppy 4.3.1 setup. :|

I do have a v2 that works, but I'd have to set up a new Skype account to use it. (Besides, I haven't managed to get any cameras set up and working under Puppy, yet. :oops: )
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).