Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 12 Nov 2019, 21:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to do a full install on pendrives?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
lvds

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 13:39    Post subject:  How to do a full install on pendrives?  

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place on the forum to ask this so please kindly advise me if not Smile

I wanted to play a bit with woof builder and needs a puppy full install for this. My local hard drive is not available, so I thought I would build a full install on a usb hard drive, or a pendrive or a SDHC card, all are usb and methinks I would build a ext4 partition just like I always do for ubuntu or fedora or whatever Smile

But the puppy universal installer only allows to perform a full install when you ask for an internal hard drive installation.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem ? Smile

Best regards

Karl Godt

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 14:05    Post subject:  

You might be able to cheat the installer by editing /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE file

Quote:
#ATADRIVES is all internal ide/pata/sata drives, excluding optical, excluding usb...
ATADRIVES='sda '

Just a thought.

If you read `which puppyinstaller` you would find the code to install it manually from the terminal :
everything that starts
cp -a
is worth to read.

I take the easy way : mount the .sfs and the install partition
Code:
cp -a --remove-destination /mnt/+mnt*long*path*to*puppy.sfs/* /mnt/patition/

and dont forget to cp vmlinuz into /mnt/partition/boot
Run grubconfig then .
If you need drivers from the initrd.gz , they need to be in the partition, too .

Am not a supporter of USB because vibrations might disconnect the USB for a very short time .
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 14:13    Post subject:  

Only a few cases of it ever being accomplished.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=34263[/url]

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Bruce B

PostPosted: Sat 11 May 2013, 16:45    Post subject:  

In approximately 2008 and earlier I made numerous manual full installs for reasons which don't affect us much today.

The basic technique was make a full install on a Linux partition. Do not reboot* into this fresh install. Tarball it and then you can put the tarball on another media and extract the files from the tarball(s) in order to manually make the install on other machines.

* The reason not to reboot it prior to making the tarball(s) is because the Full Install was generic and didn't have any machine specific modifications until the first boot. The files the first boot would modify could be found in /etc and /root and /etc/rc.d and likely /etc/X11

The reason for the tarball rather than copying files is to preserve the directory and file attributes and names. The tarball(s) can be written to non-Linux filesystems such as FAT or ISO9660 without a loss or change of original names, times or attributes for the files contained within the tarballs.

By using the basic techniques outlined above a user can install on filesystems and media the 'full install script' won't.

But . . .

. . . why a full install on a flash stick? For what advantages?

In my opinion, the way Barry has it designed for us to use flash sticks is very well done to such extent it doesn't need to be improved by us. The thinking and work is already done.

With a full install on a flash stick we have much slower read times. And much more frequent write cycles to the media which would reduce the life of the flash stick.

~

Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: