Ultimate puppy usb flashdrive setup idea

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
HiDeHo

Ultimate puppy usb flashdrive setup idea

#1 Post by HiDeHo »

My ultimate puppy setup would be to have several different versions of puppy on a flash drive as frugal installs. eg precise, slacko, wary, racy etc. each with its own 512mb save file and using grub4dos to boot them
I would set things up like this.
  1. set up a folder for each puppy version containing the frugal files and the save file
  2. have one set of .sfs apps on flashdrive that all puppy versions can use.
  3. set up a separate folder for shared data and access that data form each puppy setup.
this would be a great idea for a setup of multibooting puppy on a usb flashdrive, usb hdd, sd card etc. having a small save file and using sfs apps is ideal and is more optimised for this type of setup.

this is my Idea i am putting it out there for others to see and share what they think about it.

Ray MK

#2 Post by Ray MK »

Have almost exactly the same setup - sfs’s live in appropriate folders - same for files, either on the same or separate partitions.
Attach menu.lst showing current favorites. Nice way of using Puppy.
Attachments
menu.tar.gz
(825 Bytes) Downloaded 649 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

DaveS

Re: Ultimate puppy usb flashdrive setup idea

#3 Post by DaveS »

HiDeHo wrote:My ultimate puppy setup would be to have several different versions of puppy on a flash drive as frugal installs. eg precise, slacko, wary, racy etc. each with its own 512mb save file and using grub4dos to boot them
  1. set up a folder for each puppy version containing the frugal files and the save file
  3. set up a separate folder for shared data and access that data form each puppy setup.
this would be a great idea for a setup of multibooting puppy on a usb flashdrive, usb hdd, sd card etc. having a small save file and using sfs apps is ideal and is more optimised for this type of setup.

this is my Idea i am putting it out there for others to see and share what they think about it.
I have a USB set up this way. I also have a directory on it named common. This directory holds a downloads directory and a firefox dir and a seamonkey dir. These are symlinked into /root/ and /root/.mozilla. This way my browser remains constant (bookmarks and extensions and such) across all Puppy distros. Same with my music folder.
I dont use it much anymore though as I have settled on Slacko 5.5 which I have as a HD install and on a USB as a rescue disk.
All my USB installs run in PUPMODE12 as the long shutdown time for the standard install drives me nuts.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Jasper

Qt-Web browser

#4 Post by Jasper »

Hi Ray MK.

If you are still using Qt-Web browser and if you have updated to v 3.8.4, kindly advise if you can download your 825 byte "menu.tar.gz" from two posts above.

It will download for me using v 3.7.3, but with v 3.8.4 the download window shows the file as zero bytes and an "about:blank" tab opens.

My regards

Update 12th July 2013 - Solved - thanks to pemasu's ssl-certificate-fix-0.0.1.pet
Attachments
Qt-Web.png
(142.47 KiB) Downloaded 830 times

sunburnt

#5 Post by sunburnt »

It would also be nice if SFS files could be shared between Puppy versions.
If the versions are incompatible then the SFS package may not work.

If the extra SFS files had version folders, then Puppy could look for them.

R-S-H

#6 Post by R-S-H »

HiDeHo wrote:My ultimate puppy setup would be to have several different versions of puppy on a flash drive as frugal installs. eg precise, slacko, wary, racy etc. each with its own 512mb save file and using grub4dos to boot them

I have already almost each idea, presented in this tread released in my LazY Puppy including some specials onto the USB Flash Drive - plus some more (some of them are released in 2.0.2-005!
Each Puppy has its own directory containing all files from the ISO (since I do remaster with out ISO or CD by Remaster Suite I need all Files in directories), there's also a directory for Pikona and for PortableApplications. PorableApplications contains sub-direcories for Wine and Linux portables!

There's also a directory 'Skripte' which means 'scripts' that contains useful Script, execute by my RSHs ScriptBox, which is a ROX-App. Some of them do have menu entries in Openbox menu.

The above image shows directory 'Dateien' which is 'My Files'. It contains sub-directories for several different file types (image below).

ALSA-Player, Amarok and Aqualung must not be explained. 'Anleitungen' is 'Guides'. I've got a pipe menu in Openbox, so I can load each file from the Guides directory by Openbox menu entry. 'Bilder' is 'images' - the same here. This is setup for almost all sub-directories.

Openbox Pipe Menus ('Ordner' means 'directory', 'Zuletzt verwendet' means 'recently used files' etc.pp. (Content of Systemordner (int.) is content of ROX Filer bookmarks file)

Image to compare the Openbox menu and the directory (so, you can see it for real!)

The HTML Files will load into default browser, the PDF Files will load into ePDFView, the TXT Files will load into default text editor etc.pp.

I do have a file 'lped' which means 'LazY Puppy External Directories' that contains all directories on USB Flash Drive that are used for Files, Skripts, Pertable Apps etc, which can be edited from the LazY Puppy Preferences GUI - changes will apply immediately on the USB Flash Directories So, if I would change the name of the directory used for the scripts, the scripts are still executable by its menu entries.

Code: Select all

#------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# LazY Puppy 3.0.0 external directories
# 2013-06-18 RSH for LazY Puppy

# main directory of files
mydirsdir="Dateien"

# sub directories of main directory
myguidesdir="Anleitungen"
myaqualungdir="Aqualung"
myalsaplayerdir="ALSA-Player"
myamarokplayerdir="Amarok"
mybashscriptsdir="Bash"
myimagesdir="Bilder"
mycdir="C"
mycdripperdir="AudioCD-Import"
myhtmldir="HTML"
myiconsdir="Icons"
mylazypuppydir="LazYPuppy"
mymusicdir="Musik"
mymididir="MIDI"
myofficedir="Office"
mypascaldir="Pascal"
mysagcaddir="SAGCAD"
myscreenshotsdir="Screenshots"
mytransferdir="Transfer"
myuploaddir="Upload"
myvideosdir="Videos"

# Files in Office directory (myofficedir)
mynotes="Notizblock.txt"
mylpmmstodolist="LazYPuppy-Bugs-ToDo.txt"

# Files in sda2
mynewmusiclist="/mnt/sda2/Neue-Musik.txt"
myprmsgfile="/mnt/sda2/Proberaum-MSG.txt"

# Script Directories
myscripts="Skripte"
mymousesettings="MouseSettings"

# Software and Installation Directories
mysoftware="Software"
my1portables="PortableApplications"
my2portableswin="PortableApps"
my3portableswine="PortableApps"
my4portableslinux="PortableLinux"
mypikonadir="Pikona"
mywineinstalls="WineInstalls"

# Portable Linux Software Sub Directories
myportable1officedir="Buero"
myportable2filesystemdir="Dateisystem"
myportable3graphicsdir="Grafik"
myportable4multimediadir="Multimedia"
myportable5webdir="Netzwerk"
myportable6toolsdir="Werkzeuge"
myportable7unsorteddir="Unsortiert"
myportable8additionaldir="Zubehoer"

# Override LazY Puppy Bootdirectory Settings for the RunScripts
# Load and Run Programs from SFS Files stored at different location
# Example: /mnt/sda1/Modules or the boot partition plus 'Module' etc.
myoverridelp2bdl="true"
mylocallp2bdl="Module"

# Path for Script 'make_needed_symlinks'
# This path is used for Aqualung, Amarok, ALSA-Player files
# Will add some more like for Firefox etc.
# If this path is an empty string, the boot partition is used
mysymlinksdir="/mnt/sda1"

# End of LazY Puppy 3.0.0 external directories
I have written a script that creates a info file. Using this in file the LazY Puppy always knows from where it is booted - no matter if /mnt/sdd1 or /mnt/sda1/LazY or /mnt/home or /mnt/home/whatever-dir-name-is used etc.pp.!

sunburnt wrote:It would also be nice if SFS files could be shared between Puppy versions.
If the versions are incompatible then the SFS package may not work.

If the extra SFS files had version folders, then Puppy could look for them.
I do use almost all my SFS Files in each of my LazY Puppy Derivatives from one single directory - it is directory: 'Module' which means 'Modules'. These LazY Puppy Derivatives are based on Lucid-528-4, Three Headed Dog 005, Lx Pup 13.01, Precise 5.6 which are kernel versions from 2.6.33.2 to 2.6.37.6 and two kernels 3.x.x. Most of SFS Files will work.

I have made some special modifications to shinobar's sfs_load, so the copy GUI will not appear and the SFS files can be loaded from other locations than boot partition or directory.

Have you ever tried to lad an SFS file manually by sfs_load from a directory containing 354 SFS files ? ? ?

Go, get yourself a coffee!

My SFS files usually loaded whithin 1.5 to 2 seconds, because I do use sfs_load only as command line tool. I do execute so called SFS P.L.U.S. RunScripts, that checks for the application. Not htere? It loads the SFS. Not there? It downloads the SFS, loads the SFS executes the Program.

If I click on .xcf file it executes the RunScript to load the SFS, executes the program after this, loads the image into GIMP. All by a singele click on desktop icon or menu entry, execute within a few seconds - sfs_load still collects the files for the sfs_load GUI !!!

Really Guys - sometimes it looks to me like I have developed and developed and developed one nice idea following by another nice idea...

...and no one seems to listen or to have noticed anything of that, except a few users (and one or two developers partly) who have been able to recognize the potential of LazY Puppy and some of my applications posted on the forum, extracted from LazY Puppy.

I RUN 512 Applications from 354 SFS Files just by clicking a menu entry or a desktop icon - at my home workstation to 100% without to use any save file and without to load SFS files manually!!!

The LazY Puppy SFS files do know their dependencies (or one can 'tell' them, what dependencies are needed), so: the LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs knows, it needs the LP2_DevX.sfs and it will be loaded automatically after the LP2_LazarusFPCSuite.sfs is loaded and before executing Lazarus application.

The LP2_WildFire-0.67r3.sfs (Fractal Graphics Application, really nice program) knows, it needs a JAVA, which will be loaded automatically after the LP2_WildFire-0.67r3.sfs is loaded and before executing the wildfire program.

If unloadeding an SFS, the dependent SFS is unloaded as well. After this a check is made for all loaded SFS files and its dependencies - found a missing dependent SFS file will re-load it immediately!

I do use 30 desktops, to be switched either by key command (Strg-1-0, Strg-Alt-1-0, Strg-Alt-Shift-1-0) or by WBar. Each openbox desktop is snychronized with Variomenu-Desktop, which presents different selctions of desktop icons, so, I have desktops for Graphics, Office, Audioeditong, Video etc.pp)

Yes, it switches the desktop icons AND openbox desktops (applications do only appear on its desktop)

A few weeks ago, in the German forum someone made a post:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 746#706746
Tyson, a German user from Brasil wrote:Das ist wohl seit Jahren das aufregendste und inovativste Linux-Erlebnis und ich habe sicherlich so einige Distros getestet und verwendete hauptsächlich Crunchbang, DreamStudio und einige Puppies.
Original Google translation wrote:This is probably the most exciting and innovative for years Linux experience and I have certainly tested as some distros, using mainly CrunchBang, Dream Studio and some puppies.
Tyson seems to me the first member of this forum ever who has completely recognized the ability an usefulness of LazY Puppy, its SFS concept and also its programs.

This guy did made me happy for the moment, and I'm still happy to have this LazY Puppy setup here!

But beside this I'm totally disappointed not to have reached anything in this here forum, in Puppy Linux - even I don't put any knowledge to any user, it seems.

There are users in this forum as long as I'm active here, who did met the LazY Puppy Remaster Suite, who complained a GUI text that was related only to LazY Puppy and who tells others, the name of the main SFS could not be changed unless editing vmlinuz.

Really! Such postings makes me feel ignored!

Want to try anything out?

Here is the latest LazY Puppy Derivative plus images and some information, based on Three Headed Dog, including the latest version of my programs.

I would recommend to grab this, ask don570 for help (he is able for German) and try to adopt some...

...oh, will I ever be heard/noticed?

RSH

The LazY Puppy Clone Wars - a JPEG Movie!
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

Puppyt

#7 Post by Puppyt »

I notice you, Ranier! You've done some incredible work, but I just haven't been able to test it out due to real-life constraints. My personal quest is to build a small, research-oriented pupplet for Windows refugees (still failing with that simple goal :( ) - on a USB stick - so I haven't looked at bleeding-edge development such as you are involved with. I wonder whether you might care to post a you-tube of your system's operation and basic differences in comparison to the usual "vanilla" Puppy? That would get you more widespread recognition, I'm sure, but please don't be disheartened - it's always lonely out there on the frontier :). I've converted the Hungarian Puppy Team's offering into English (umm HungarianXP.528, from memory) so your consideration for us Englisch is warmly appreciated,
Veilen Dank
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

RetroTechGuy

#8 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Puppyt wrote:I notice you, Ranier! You've done some incredible work, but I just haven't been able to test it out due to real-life constraints. My personal quest is to build a small, research-oriented pupplet for Windows refugees (still failing with that simple goal :( ) - on a USB stick - so I haven't looked at bleeding-edge development such as you are involved with. I wonder whether you might care to post a you-tube of your system's operation and basic differences in comparison to the usual "vanilla" Puppy? That would get you more widespread recognition, I'm sure, but please don't be disheartened - it's always lonely out there on the frontier :). I've converted the Hungarian Puppy Team's offering into English (umm HungarianXP.528, from memory) so your consideration for us Englisch is warmly appreciated,
Veilen Dank
Research oriented, such as math packages (see SageLive, based on 5.11)?

http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/

See some of the posts by Emil:

"gfortran":
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63511

"Latex and Lyx":
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61226

"Math Base - Basic Free Mathematic Software for Puppy Linux"
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51198
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Puppyt

#9 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks for your interest RetroTechGuy - I've been following in emils' shadow for some years now, but his Sage and Maths packages etc are too high-octane for my intended audience. I want to be able to produce a light pupplet (but on what base? When will the developments stop ;) ) and also maintain upgraded pets/sfs for software like R, R Commander (emil's early work), maybe some other recent R GUI's that are ideal for 'learners' in statistics (rkward, etc), Zotero, Docear, JabRef, CowLog, ImageJ, Frisbee with EduRoam access, XPDF (or another pdf application, like Xournal, that would permit highlighting and annotation to be imported into Docear), an office suite, etc - oh yeah, apologies for derailing the thread - ALL ON A USB FLASHDRIVE! My model machine only has usb1 ports, BIOS won't boot from there unless Plop is in the floppy (no hdd - and usb2.0 in pcmcia seems to be overlooked in Puppy's startup sequence) but the bootup time is prohibitive. I *might* see what coreboot can do for that laptop which is roda-RT686ex -like in configuration.
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

sunburnt

#10 Post by sunburnt »

As I`ve said, there`s been many great ideas, utilities, and apps. over the years that come and go.
There`s no central clearing house to manage all this stuff so it gets lost.
And then there`s the changes to Puppy, I`ve rewritten some apps. 3 times.
Thomas Edison:
No new idea or invention can come to reality in an existing company.
A new company must be formed around the idea for it to prosper.
How about a new Linux O.S. that cuts all the old legacy garbage.?
For newer P.C.s, and only uses replaceable no-install apps.
So the O.S. is small ( like Tiny Core ) with only needed built-in utilities.

RetroTechGuy

#11 Post by RetroTechGuy »

sunburnt wrote:As I`ve said, there`s been many great ideas, utilities, and apps. over the years that come and go.
There`s no central clearing house to manage all this stuff so it gets lost.
And then there`s the changes to Puppy, I`ve rewritten some apps. 3 times.
Thomas Edison:
No new idea or invention can come to reality in an existing company.
A new company must be formed around the idea for it to prosper.
How about a new Linux O.S. that cuts all the old legacy garbage.?
For newer P.C.s, and only uses replaceable no-install apps.
So the O.S. is small ( like Tiny Core ) with only needed built-in utilities.
One of Puppy's strengths is that it supports those legacy machines.

While I agree that legacy creates a burden for the new system, there should at least be a family of "Retro" versions, to support those legacy machines.

sunburnt

#12 Post by sunburnt »

Hi RetroTechGuy; I agree, but most "old hardware" will be dead in years.
Mostly it`s the driver modules that support legacy hardware.

I`d like to see floppys, serial, parallel, and game ports disappear.

# Q: How many interfaces does a P.C. need?

#A: Just 3 types; USB-2-3, GigaLAN, and DVI + HDMI ( 2 graphics ports really...).

And also Puppy could use some improvements, but it would have to be community based.

RetroTechGuy

#13 Post by RetroTechGuy »

sunburnt wrote:Hi RetroTechGuy; I agree, but most "old hardware" will be dead in years.
Sure, all computers will be obsolete and dead in YEARS...

In the meanwhile, we can keep using them... ;-)

My newest machine was purchased in 2005. I still have several that are running Windows 98 (such as my main desktop, from whence I'm posting as we speak -- it dual boots Puppy).

If I really wanted to abandon this "legacy" hardware, I'd install Debian. Puppy gives me a place to go, so I don't need to buy all new equipment.
Mostly it`s the driver modules that support legacy hardware.

I`d like to see floppys, serial, parallel, and game ports disappear.
I still use floppies from time to time (at least until I get all of my data moved -- and it's still handy when I need to boot for BIOS upgrades). Let's see, do I still have my printer that uses the parallel port?...I believe that I do.
# Q: How many interfaces does a P.C. need?

#A: Just 3 types; USB-2-3, GigaLAN, and DVI + HDMI ( 2 graphics ports really...).
I still use VGA. I don't have DVI or HDMI monitors. My keyboard and mouse plug into PS2.

And I suspect that I am not alone in this respect.

sunburnt

#14 Post by sunburnt »

I still use VGA. I don't have DVI or HDMI monitors. My keyboard and mouse plug into PS2.
Same here, but I don`t use floppies, USB flash drives are too cheap these days.

As said, being as hardware is loaded modules, legacy support is only as far away as installing it.
There`s lots more that`s legacy about the Linux O.S., a house cleaning is in order.

With no-install apps., utilities, and easy to install driver modules the core O.S. can be lean and clean.

Ray MK

#15 Post by Ray MK »

hi jasper

have just noticed your post ref: menu.tar.gz download - I have the same problem - am not sure what causes this.

Download works as you say with earlier QtWeb versions and other browsers.

Much muttering here with this - best regards - Ray

ps: wonder if the dev's might have an answer?

edit: solved :- http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 7&start=30
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

RetroTechGuy

#16 Post by RetroTechGuy »

sunburnt wrote:
Same here, but I don`t use floppies, USB flash drives are too cheap these days.

As said, being as hardware is loaded modules, legacy support is only as far away as installing it.
There`s lots more that`s legacy about the Linux O.S., a house cleaning is in order.

With no-install apps., utilities, and easy to install driver modules the core O.S. can be lean and clean.
This would be slick if the base system came up pretty primitive, and only installed the stuff that was needed -- might make true legacy machines run better, as they wouldn't have extra junk in them. The question is how one would make it automated, when much of the supported legacy is things like obscure modems or network cards, and old monitors...

One of the nice things about Puppy is that it is very newbie friendly...

sunburnt

#17 Post by sunburnt »

Puppy like any "user friendly" O.S. has auto. hardware detection.
This doesn`t have to be part of the base O.S., it could be a RoxApp package.
So the RoxApp hardware probe is run at first boot and left after that.

Puppy once had a zdrv file with extra drivers for an un-bloated Puppy base.
This is close to the same, but the modules and detection code are in the RoxApp, not the base O.S.

Code that runs occasionally shouldn`t bloat up the O.S., except base utilities.
Same with apps., they need to be replaced when a new one comes out.

Again... SFS files, RoxApps, and AppDirs don`t take up much ( or none ) Save file space.