Precise Puppy 5.6.1-final, May 29, 2013

Please post any bugs you have found
Ray MK

#76 Post by Ray MK »

Precise Puppy version 5.6

Manual frugal to ext3 partition on my 10yr old Acer laptop, booting with grub4dos from the same partition.

# uname -a
Linux puppypc22310 3.2.44 #1 SMP Sun May 5 11:42:44 GMT-8 2013 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 366984 309192 57792 0 21572
-/+ buffers: 287620 79364
Swap: 658660 34224 624436
#

Looking really good here - everything seems to work as expected OOTB.
Attachments
Hinfo.tar.gz
(8.63 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

majorfoo

#77 Post by majorfoo »

Full install to ext4 partition

Everything works OTB

Very fast boot

No problems to report

Thanks Barry, for all your hard work.

sszindian

Precise-5.6

#78 Post by sszindian »

Precise-5.6

Loaded in ram and used a fresh puppysavefile.

Installed several programs, tested several of the ones that come with 5.6

WiFi setup with Frisbee, no problems, now to see if it can hold? Did survive a reboot without issue.

So far, no problems, no quirks or glitches and it runs beautiful!

Must say... very nice job. First-time users and old-pros alike should appreciate this build.

5.5.94 I did have some problems with Pwidgets and a few modules dropped (weather and analog clock) and I never could make them work again even with a re-install of Pwidgets... hope it holds up better in 5.6, don't want to go to Conky unless necessary.

>>>---Indian------>

EDIT: Bummer.... after about 7-hrs of running... In fact in my desktop pic you can see the green-bar at the bottom of the desktop where wlan0 is re-connecting, that happened during taking the screenshot but I didn't notice as Frisbee reset itself (at least once), then I posted here and noticed the green-bar. Well, that was OK that it reset however about an hour later while in Gmail, wlan0 dropped again and another cold-hard-shutdown. I was able to print-out the DHCP Frisbee log, might be something there to see what's going on and get it somehow to rewerin, probably a scan-as-graphic... was not able to save anything as when WiFi drops, it totally locks up my computer for saving anything.
Attachments
desktop-5.6.png
(157.4 KiB) Downloaded 2534 times
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

for_wov

wifi

#79 Post by for_wov »

managed wifi through networkwizard+frisbee (one after another on WEP wifi network) by assigning STATIC IPs. seems working fine so far. will continue testing. at last it works without rebooting or even xwin. PS: in kernel modules lib80211_crypt_tkip loaded (system=>hardinfo=>kernel modules) maybe that is the point we should look for WEP-encripted wifi.

James C

#80 Post by James C »

Frugal install on the trusty Athlon XP box....... all good so far.
Attachments
Precise-5.6.jpg
(38.98 KiB) Downloaded 1785 times

peebee

Re: Precise Puppy 5.6-FINAL

#81 Post by peebee »

ETP wrote:The only issue so far was when I decided to switch from the Nouveau driver to the nvidia-glx-319.17-k3.2.44.sfs.
In order to persuade it to load I first had to blacklist the Nouveau module.Upon re-booting it then picked it up straight away rather than the NV driver.
Like ETP I had to blacklist nouveau before nvidia 304.88 from an sfs produced by getnvidia 0.9.1 pet would work - xorgwizard did not offer nvidia as a possibility.

Regards
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

ASRI éducation

#82 Post by ASRI éducation »

peebee wrote:xorgwizard did not offer nvidia as a possibility.
Unfriendly for a new user.

PaulR

#83 Post by PaulR »

I downloaded 5.6 iso and created a bootable USB within Slacko.

Everything seems to work fine except:

1 I don't get an option to put the savefile on sda1 (where the slacksave lives, ext3) although I can mount it fine

2 When I try to save to sdb1 (the boot usb, vfat) it gets as far as exiting X and showing the 'saving' message but then hangs. Savefile requested is 128mb on a 2gb stick so plenty of room :)

This is on a Pentium M IBM Thinkpad T42 1Gb RAM. Not sure what other useful info I can provide?

Paul

tlchost

Intel Audio Chip

#84 Post by tlchost »

None of the Precise 5.x series seem to work with my intel audio chip. I've posted about the problem in other threads, asked for advice. No reaction at all, so I'll stop trying.

Just as an aside, Slacko, FatSlacko, Rarin and Upup Precise all recognize the sound chip and Retrovol works.

Thom

OscarTalks

#85 Post by OscarTalks »

peebee wrote:Like ETP I had to blacklist nouveau before nvidia 304.88 from an sfs produced by getnvidia 0.9.1 pet would work - xorgwizard did not offer nvidia as a possibility
If you run the proprietary nvidia installer it detects if nouveau is loaded. It gives an error but it offers to install a small file into /etc/modprobe.d to disable nouveau for you (on reboot) so the driver can be installed on the second try.

When I was tinkering with making a .pet of the nvidia 173.14.37 driver for Dpup Wheezy I opted to place this disabler file in the .pet along with the message telling the user to reboot. On reboot nouveau has been disabled and xorg wizard offers the nvidia driver.

Uninstallation removes this file and restores nouveau availability.

I am still not sure if this is the best way. I guess nouveau becomes permanently unavailable while ever nvidia driver is installed but theoretically you don't need it any more. There used to be a nouveau unloader in the old xorg wizard but has that mechanism been changed now?

If the switch can't be done without a reboot (?) then a reboot followed by a run of xorg wizard is just about as smooth as it can get I guess.
Oscar in England

p310don

#86 Post by p310don »

Torrent for download and sharing:
Attachments
precise-5.6.iso.torrent.zip
(27.54 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

for_wov

multiple sound cards

#87 Post by for_wov »

have 2 sound cards. alsawizard choses the right one but retrovol is not properly affected ie. shows hw0 instead hw1 (in my case). doesnt work even on rebooting/making savefile. solution right click sound icon in tray=>cofig window=>hardware replacing hw:0 to hw:1 manually then enabling speaker and other items works. on previous precise (5.5.92 or 93 dont remember)worked OOTB.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#88 Post by BarryK »

OscarTalks wrote:
peebee wrote:Like ETP I had to blacklist nouveau before nvidia 304.88 from an sfs produced by getnvidia 0.9.1 pet would work - xorgwizard did not offer nvidia as a possibility
If you run the proprietary nvidia installer it detects if nouveau is loaded. It gives an error but it offers to install a small file into /etc/modprobe.d to disable nouveau for you (on reboot) so the driver can be installed on the second try.

When I was tinkering with making a .pet of the nvidia 173.14.37 driver for Dpup Wheezy I opted to place this disabler file in the .pet along with the message telling the user to reboot. On reboot nouveau has been disabled and xorg wizard offers the nvidia driver.

Uninstallation removes this file and restores nouveau availability.

I am still not sure if this is the best way. I guess nouveau becomes permanently unavailable while ever nvidia driver is installed but theoretically you don't need it any more. There used to be a nouveau unloader in the old xorg wizard but has that mechanism been changed now?

If the switch can't be done without a reboot (?) then a reboot followed by a run of xorg wizard is just about as smooth as it can get I guess.
I have fixed xorgwizard so that it does offer the nvidia driver, however I do need to know one thing:

Could you please tell me, when the official nvidia installer offers to blacklist the nouveau kernel driver, and you accept, what is the name of the file it creates in /etc/modprobe.d, and what is it's exact content?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: multiple sound cards

#89 Post by BarryK »

for_wov wrote:have 2 sound cards. alsawizard choses the right one but retrovol is not properly affected ie. shows hw0 instead hw1 (in my case). doesnt work even on rebooting/making savefile. solution right click sound icon in tray=>cofig window=>hardware replacing hw:0 to hw:1 manually then enabling speaker and other items works. on previous precise (5.5.92 or 93 dont remember)worked OOTB.
That's interesting. Precise 5.6 has retrovol 0.13 from the creator pizzasgood, whereas previous pups have 0.12.

Perhaps we need a consensus on whether 0.12 is actually better?

Note, you can get 0.12 from here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... l-0.12.pet
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

oui

#90 Post by oui »

Hi

Precise 5.6 works very fine on my 2 PCs.

One detail would be interesting to search a consensus: The libflashplayer.so is 5 Mb smaller but old and doesn't really allow to access to all purposes offered by flashplayer. So considered are only 12 Mb to much where 17 Mb would work perfectly :wink: ...
As divers guy's prefer other browser (I am a Seamonkey fan since Mozilla did come into Puppy), it would probably be better to split the main *sfs and always add browser + flashplayer separately!

(Perhaps a start point for a new concept, a modular Puppy? With a main *sfs with one, internet pack, or two modules, internet pack + office pack separately as all that are really heavy applications needing much room in the ISO and are never used if you don't adhere to the choice)

Kind regards

backi

How to avoid savings to Usb Flash.

#91 Post by backi »

Hi !!

How to avoid savings to Usb Flash.

Found another solution for problem---installing pets, debs or downloads from PPmanager and--- „ not to save them to USB Flash on demand, without spoiling PPmanager „--- Works for Puppy Precise ,(,probably on Raring too .did not test yet )

1.Download somewhere the script „nosaveshutdown „ make it executable .

2. Goto Puppy Event Manager > Save Session > Save interval (0=never )
Save to flash....Restart

3.Install petget20120418.pet from
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/

Save to flash ..restart
Now you can install pets debs or downloads from PPmanager without spoiling it..If you like to keep them
either use „save2flash „ during session without shutting down ,
or saving session at shutdown ..just shutdown as usual session will be saved.

In case you dont want to save Changes /session ...just execute the script above „nosaveshutdown“ . Nothing will be saved to Flash .This works for me onPrecise Puppy 5.6 . Probobly on UPUP RARING too (did not test it yet)

Install petget20120418.pet from
http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/

OscarTalks

#92 Post by OscarTalks »

BarryK wrote:I have fixed xorgwizard so that it does offer the nvidia driver, however I do need to know one thing:

Could you please tell me, when the official nvidia installer offers to blacklist the nouveau kernel driver, and you accept, what is the name of the file it creates in /etc/modprobe.d, and what is it's exact content?
Hello BarryK,

The file is named nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf

and just contains:-

Code: Select all

# generated by nvidia-installer
blacklist nouveau
options nouveau modeset=0
Oscar in England

666philb

#93 Post by 666philb »

i made some pets of the amd graphic drivers for precise 5.6..... first one's for modern cards, second for older legacy cards. i can't test the legacy driver as i don't have the right card. let me know if it's ok

http://www.wuala.com/666philb/Documents ... .2.44.pet/ 55mb
MD5 88aaab74dd218a3a874cbd98f4b2de5f

http://www.wuala.com/666philb/Documents ... .2.44.pet/55mb
MD5 919fdf82fddc7b3e8412942c5c0bf1df
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

shinobar

getnvidia-0.9.2

#94 Post by shinobar »

For the Nvidia driver for Precise Puppy 5.6, try getnvidia-0.9.2.
# 22may2013: fix NVIDIA-*.run check (thanks to peebee)
# 23may2012: fix disablenouveau (thanks to peebee)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72405
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

L18L

/usr/sbin/loginmanager

#95 Post by L18L »

robwoj44 has not been able to let fido change back to login as root, see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 4&start=45

I have found that

#  echo "$ADMINPASSWORD" | su root
does not work at all. fido stays fido.

So I tried our (good old :idea: ) sudo -A ${0} ${@} ...
... and it works.

#!/bin/sh
#note, root2user called via shutdownconfig, changes root to fido.
#110507 TaZOC bug fix.
#120201 rodin.s: internationalized.
#120323 replace 'xmessage' with 'pupmessage'.
#120409 if using minit instead of busybox init.
#130523 L18L: HOMEUSER, sudo, without ADMINPASSWORD

export TEXTDOMAIN=loginmanager
export TEXTDOMAINDIR=/usr/share/locale
export OUTPUT_CHARSET=UTF-8

#HOMEUSER="`whoami`"
[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec sudo -A ${0} ${@} #130523
HOMEUSER="`grep autologin /etc/inittab | cut -d ' ' -f3`" #130523
[ $HOMEUSER ] || HOMEUSER=$USER #130523

CHANGE2ROOT=""
if [ "$HOMEUSER" != "root" ];then # without ADMINPASSWORD
 CHANGE2ROOT="<text><label>$(gettext 'However, if you wish, you can change to the administrator (root) permanently on the next boot. Just tick this box and it will be so:')</label></text>
  <checkbox>
   <label>$(gettext 'Tick box to become administrator permanently')</label>
   <default>false</default>
   <variable>CHECKADMIN</variable>
  </checkbox>
 <text><label>$(gettext 'This will take affect after reboot.')</label></text>
 "

fi

export MAIN_DIALOG="
<window title=\"LoginManager\" icon-name=\"gtk-execute\">
 <vbox>
  <text use-markup=\"true\"><label>\"<b>$(gettext 'Currently you are logged in as') '${HOMEUSER}'</b>\"</label></text>

${CHANGE2ROOT}

<hbox>
   <button ok></button>
   <button cancel></button>
  </hbox>
 </vbox>
</window>
"

RETSTRING="`gtkdialog3 --program=MAIN_DIALOG --center`"
[ $? -ne 0 ] && exit

#echo "$RETSTRING"
eval "$RETSTRING"
[ "$EXIT" != "OK" ] && exit

#if [ "$CHANGE2ROOT" != "" ];then
 if [ "$CHECKADMIN" = "true" ];then
  # echo "$ADMINPASSWORD" | su root #130523
  #if [ $? -ne 0 ];then
  # pupmessage -bg red -title "$(gettext 'LoginManager: error')" -center "$(gettext 'Sorry, admin password is wrong')"
  # exit
  #fi #130523
  rootEXPR="s%^tty1.*%tty1::respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin root tty1%"
  sed -i -e "$rootEXPR" /etc/inittab #110507 TaZOC bug fix.

#120409 if using minit instead of busybox init...
  if [ -f /etc/minit/getty/1/params  ];then #see my minit pet pkg.
   EXPR2='s%^fido$%root%'
   sed -i -e "$EXPR2" /etc/minit/getty/1/params
  fi
  pupmessage -bg green -center -title "$(gettext 'Login Manager: OK')" "$(gettext 'Ok, you will be administrator at next boot')"
 fi
#fi