A window is improper of GParted from Universal Install

Please post any bugs you have found
balloon

A window is improper of GParted from Universal Install

#1 Post by balloon »

I am the person who is active with a Japanese edition.

I start Puppy Linux from the PC(VM) of the hard disk which is not formatted.
It is urged to perform an action of Puppy Universal Install in this state to GParted.
A message is displayed then with GParted, but is displayed in a state not to be settled in 1024x768pixel either.

Because even an original occurred not only Japanese Edition, I reported it here.
In the case of Upup raring and Precise: Japanese Edition forum member confirm this problem.
In the case of Lucid Puppy 5.2.8: scroll bar is displayed, and this problem confirms that it does not occur.
Attachments
640r4.jpg
(109.77 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
[b]BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.[/b] from Japan | ã￾µã￾†ã￾›ã‚“ Fu-sen. (old: 2 8 6)

npierce

#2 Post by npierce »

Old versions of puppyinstaller use gxmessage to display messages. But versions newer than March 2012 (like the one in Precise Puppy 5.7.1) use pupmessage instead. This is fine for most messages, but not for long messages, since pupmessage doesn't yet support the PgDn and PgUp keys or have a scroll bar for reading long messages.

Make a backup copy of your /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller file (just in case something goes wrong), then edit the original file to change the first word in the following line, changing it from "pupmessage" to "gxmessage". (This is line 160 in the version that comes in Puppy Precise 5.7.1.):

Code: Select all

pupmessage -bg '#ba55d3' -center -title "$(gettext 'Puppy Universal Installer')" "$(gettext 'GParted is a partition manager, available in Puppy, a very simple tool
The line should then look like this:

Code: Select all

gxmessage -bg '#ba55d3' -center -title "$(gettext 'Puppy Universal Installer')" "$(gettext 'GParted is a partition manager, available in Puppy, a very simple tool
One of the reasons that gxmessage was replaced by pupmessage was, I think, to add support for UTF-8. Old versions of gxmessage didn't handle UTF-8, but the version that comes in Precise Puppy 5.7.1 (gxmessage-2.12.4) seems to handle it OK.

Please let us know if this fixes it for you.