Hello and thank you

Promote Puppy !
wboz

Hello and thank you

#1 Post by wboz »

I expect I'll have posts (questions) in upcoming days so I wanted to introduce myself before I impose upon you for answers :)

First of all, I have to say that Puppy is conceptually brilliant. There are not very many Linux distros that run in RAM and most that do are either much bigger/more complicated or far less user friendly. I thought Puppy would be something I could take on as a relative beginner, and I have been loving it so far!

I know there are some downsides to the approach, but I just wanted a faster OS for my old writing computer - the Lenovo keyboard is just unbeatable - and I prefer to leave the existing hard disk alone. So far I've customized a little with wbar, pwidgets, xfce and some other things. I would have preferred lxfe, but I got impatient trying to figure out how, and xfce is a turnkey addition!!

Most recently I am weighing the various ways to deal with Chromium's liebenstraum-seeking cache, as well as whether I can uninstall certain programs to speed save-file load time. Also, Puppy runs hot on my computer - Precise was worse, so I've stuck with Lucid for now. I think this may have more to do with the watt-sucking Core 2 Duo processor, cpu scaling isn't working, I am not yet sure if this is a major issue.

Huge thank you to the community and to Barry K for developing Puppy. I became aware Barry K is retiring and that creates uncertainty for people. I hope the future is bright. :)

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

wboz wrote:
Also, Puppy runs hot on my computer - Precise was worse, so I've stuck with Lucid for now.
Forum member looseSCREWorTWO (no longer active) used to acquire, then pass along, several different computers that he installed Puppy on.

At the time, Lucid was the latest, and according to him, ran the hottest.
He said 4.3.1 ran slightly cooler, but the coolest of them all was 4.1.2.
(I believe that was also the oldest one that he tested.)

Based on what both of you have said, it appears the older the kernel, the cooler it runs.

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

My daughter's laptop ran very hot also.
And at first, I was blaming the OS.
But upon examination, I found it had a heat stove.
That is a path in the computer that directs the heat out of the computer.
I found a literal block of lint that was effectively blocking the flow of air out of the laptop.
I disassembled the laptop enough to remove the blockage and the laptop runs cool again.

Hotdog

#4 Post by Hotdog »

wboz,

Welcome to the forum. I run Lucid 5.2.8 also and in a full HD install. As for removing unused applications - go for it with Menu -> Setup -> Remove Unused Packages. My understanding is that in your case they would simply be marked as 'do-not-install' and probably would give you a faster load time. I have removed a few with no ill effects.

I use Lucid on both a desktop and a laptop (both full HD install). The laptop is an Averatec 5400. When I had Windows XP on it, sometimes I had to restart XP a couple of times to get the fan to work. Under Puppy 5.2.8 it has never failed to work and changes speeds as needed.
[i]Puppy 5.2.8.7, Full Install[/i]

wboz

#5 Post by wboz »

Hi, just saw the latest reply, sorry for the delay. I did post my solution re: heat in another fan-related thread.

The ultimate problem was my laptop's graphics card. It was not supported but the system was powering up both integrated and discrete graphics without actually having a driver for the chip. I turned the discrete graphics off in the BIOS and problem solved .. much cooler.

Thanks for the replies :)