Making a CD from an ISO, help please.

Booting, installing, newbie
limeylew

Making a CD from an ISO, help please.

#1 Post by limeylew »

I have downloaded a 2.0 ISO file from Puppy Linux, made a CD (R, not RW) and it works well EXCEPT that I cannot 'save' anything to it.

According to Puppy Linux, there is a way to burn the CD such that you can save some information to it. The program I used to burn with is K3b (Konqueror) and I cannot see anything related to this subject in this program UNLESS it would be: K3b > Tools > Burn CD image > Advanced > Start Multisession CD

Is there a specific 'HOWTO' for making the CD able save 'bookmarks', etc. ?

Anyway, if someone would be good enough to give me some help here, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Lewis.

gazoi

Re: Making a CD from an ISO, help please.

#2 Post by gazoi »

limeylew wrote:I have downloaded a 2.0 ISO file from Puppy Linux, made a CD (R, not RW) and it works well EXCEPT that I cannot 'save' anything to it.
What would you like to do, save your changes to the hard drive? If you have a suitable filesystem, you can write to it. You can't save to your cd though unless it's a RW cd, and then it must be left open when you burn the iso.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your question!

Cheers
Gaz

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Ian »

To save data to the CD you need to burn it as a multisession disk.

Have a look at the Multi Session section of this forum for more info.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Since your CD is already burned, I don't think there is any way to use it as a multisession CD. The good news is that Puppy includes a burning program which will automatically create a multisession CD or DVD.

To burn a multisession CD or DVD, boot your Puppy CD, mount the partition where the Puppy iso is stored (or download the iso again while in Puppy), go to Start -> Multimedia -> burniso2cd burn iso file to CD/DVD, and choose the option you want. That's all there is to making a multisession CD or DVD.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

limeylew

Re: Making a CD from an ISO, help please.

#5 Post by limeylew »

gazoi wrote:
limeylew wrote:I have downloaded a 2.0 ISO file from Puppy Linux, made a CD (R, not RW) and it works well EXCEPT that I cannot 'save' anything to it.
What would you like to do, save your changes to the hard drive? If you have a suitable filesystem, you can write to it. You can't save to your cd though unless it's a RW cd, and then it must be left open when you burn the iso.

Sorry if I have misunderstood your question!

Cheers
Gaz
Hi, thanks for your reply. At this point I don't want to add stuff to my HD so, as you suggest, I'll use a RW-CD.

Kind regards.

Lewis.

limeylew

#6 Post by limeylew »

Flash wrote:Since your CD is already burned, I don't think there is any way to use it as a multisession CD. The good news is that Puppy includes a burning program which will automatically create a multisession CD or DVD.

To burn a multisession CD or DVD, boot your Puppy CD, mount the partition where the Puppy iso is stored (or download the iso again while in Puppy), go to Start -> Multimedia -> burniso2cd burn iso file to CD/DVD, and choose the option you want. That's all there is to making a multisession CD or DVD.
Thanks, that looks like a clear explanation. I'll give it a shot.

Kind regards.

Lewis.