OpenboxPlus 1.6.2, OBP Wheezy 1.2, OBP Tahrpup 1.1

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
vicmz

OpenboxPlus 1.6.2, OBP Wheezy 1.2, OBP Tahrpup 1.1

#1 Post by vicmz »

This is a simple way to add Openbox to a standard Puppy that has JWM only (Puppy 5.3+). Not suitable for puppies that already have either Openbox or LXDE, as it may interfere with or break default settings. This is also a lightweight alternative to the full LXDE suite, if you prefer that you can install LXDE on your puppy or download a Puppy derivative with LXDE.
Esta es una manera simple de añadir Openbox a un Puppy estándar que solo tiene JWM (a partir de Puppy 5.3). No es apropiado para puppies que ya tienen Openbox o LXDE, ya que puede interferir con o romper los ajustes predeterminados. Esta también es una alternativa liviana a la suite completa de LXDE, si prefieres eso puedes instalar LXDE en tu puppy o descargar un derivado de Puppy con LXDE.

DOWNLOADS

NOTE: if the links below don't work, here are links to folders containing all files (main and additionals), choose the mirror that works for you:

Yandex.Disk | Copy.com | MeOwnPlanet.net

OpenboxPlus 1.6.2 main PET, 3.5 MB (Precise, Slacko)
OpenboxPlus Wheezy 1.2 main PET (only for Dpup Wheezy), 2.8 MB
OpenboxPlus Tahrpup 1.1 main PET (only for Tahrpup, includes Wbar for Tint2), 3.9 MB
Mouse pointer themes (full set), 5.3 MB
Gnome icon pack required only if you install PCManFM (from the forum or from the PPM), 6 MB
GTK theme collection, 2.6 MB (includes the GTK engines required for Crunchy, Ambiance-Radiance, and ZonColor themes)
Crunchy Openbox & GTK themes, 577 K
Ambiance-Radiance Openbox & GTK themes, 2.4 MB
ZonColor theme collection (Openbox, GTK2, GTK3, XFCE, wallpapers, see also ZonColor website), 4.4 MB
Wbar for Precise, 113 K (get Wbar for Slacko from here)
For Spanish speakers: PET para traducir a español el menú superior e inferior de clic derecho, 1 K (las demás traducciones se movieron al paquete de idioma)

KNOWN ISSUES
- Slacko 5.7 tray applets do not start automatically, you can put the autostart script attached to this post at /root/Startup to solve this, but note that switching back to JWM applets in the tray will appear duplicated. To prevent this, you can rename the autostart folder at /root/.config to a random name, for example autostartoff. There is a solution involving Python, which means the devx or a Python pet should be installed, but that's too much for something that is meant to be lightweight.
- Tint2 doesn't work for Wary/Racy, Lxpanel is recommended choice for these.

CHANGE LOG

v1.6.2
- Changed theme
- Fixed icons not displaying in Lxpanel menu in Slacko 5.7
- ChoosePanel GUI polished by don570
- Wallpaper Setter 0.6.4
- Take a Shot! screen capture 1.6
- Tint2 panel themes by Tman
- Keyboard shortcuts expanded: CTRL+ALT+W=default word processor, CTRL+ALT+B=default browser, CTRL+ALT+A=default audio player, CTRL+ALT+V=default media player, CTRL+ALT+E=default text editor, CTRL+ALT+P=default paint, CTRL+ALT+K=default spreadsheet editor, CTRL+ALT+M=default email client, CTRL+ALT+S=Take a Shot! screen capture

wheezy-1.2
- fixmenus now works
- ChoosePanel GUI polished by don570
- libxcb-util0 included for Obconf (Openbox configuration manager) to work
- Lxappearance, gtk-engines removed
- ROX bookmarks accesible from Openbox top menu
- Print Screen key takes instant screenshot and opens mtPaint to edit (shinobar)

v1.6.1
- Bulldog Finder (don570) included as an alternative to Pfind (which currently has a serious bug).

v1.6.0 release
- Upgrades: Openbox 3.5.0, PupShutdown 2.0 (radky), Lxpanel 0.5.10 (01micko/slacko repo).
- Additions: PupClockset 2.2 (radky), Take a Shot! 1.3 (SFR).
- Press the PrintScreen key to take an instant full screen shot for editing in mtPaint (Shinobar).
- Lxpanel system monitors: CPU, RAM (left-click on them to open Pprocess, Puppy's process manager).
- Default theme including icons, gtk, cursor and wallpaper.
- More Openbox themes and a small selection of cursor themes included in the main package.
- Menu fix to set the traditional Puppy for category order (Jejy69 & Peebee's work on Lxpup).
- Reload Lxpanel from Menu > Desktop > Lxpanel restart panel. Useful when you change icon themes or need to refresh the Lxpanel menu.
- Small cursor theme selection included, but you can download the full collection from the links above.

v1.5.3 release
- A few Tint2 themes added (Menu > Desktop > Tint2 Configuration)
- Moved Pupshutdown and music launch icons from Lxpanel dock to a launchbar next to the menu (which includes screeny, too), Tint2 has only Pupshutdown, ROX, browser and lock launch icons (more space for open windows) and can now close windows by right-click
- Lxpanel menu re-structured: no submenus, categories and entries in alphabetical order, default icon theme (gnome icon set no longer needed for the menu, but required if PCManFM is used), category list expanded to cover all of Puppy apps (if a Puppy program does not appear in the menu, open its .desktop file, find the Category field and post it in this thread to include it in the menu for the next release). This new menu structure is based on the one in Jemimah's Saluki derivative.
- Tint2 / Precise users: Wbar is available - remix from Oldyeller repo (I did not have the time to test Wbar for Slacko yet, but you can download it from Tman's thread, see the links in the Downloads section).
- Spanish locales moved to / Traducciones al español movidas en langpack_es

v1.5 release:
:arrow: New Lxpanel setup with a dock-like top panel
:arrow: The Tint2 panel now has a show desktop button to minimize all windows (thanks to nilsonmorales), it is horizontal but the vertical position is available in "Tint2 configuration" on the "Desktop" category
:arrow: ROX bookmarks available in the top right-click menu: open ROX-filer in the desired directory, click the "bookmarks" button and "add new bookmark", then the directory will appear in the right-click menu for quick access (thanks to WillM)
:arrow: Wider selection of GTK themes thanks to the addition of GTK engines
:arrow: Crunchy and Ambience-Radiance themes for Openbox and GTK available as extra goodies (require the GTK engines present in the main gtk-theme-collection.pet)

LANGUAGE SUPPORT
Help translate OpenboxPlus to your language (at the moment only Spanish is available)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86103

MANY THANKS TO (in no particular order): 01micko, Radky, Argolance, Jejy69, josejp2424, nilsonmorales, Tman, oldyeller, the Openbox, Lxpanel, Tint2, Wbar developers, the testers, and many people in and out the forum whose work is in this Openbox remix packages.

Older Openbox+Extras packages:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=82800
Attachments
autostart.gz
Remove .gz from the file name and put at /root/Startup in Slacko
to display tray applets in Lxpanel. Note that this duplicates the
tray applets in JWM.
(383 Bytes) Downloaded 1053 times
lxpanel.jpg
(24.65 KiB) Downloaded 14184 times
tint2.jpg
(19.76 KiB) Downloaded 14764 times
ROX_bookmarks_in_Openbox_menu.jpg
(22.27 KiB) Downloaded 14434 times
Last edited by vicmz on Wed 12 Nov 2014, 01:24, edited 40 times in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

oligin10

Gnome icon pack

#2 Post by oligin10 »

Hi, just checking on the gnome icon pack. It isn't highlighted to download. Thanks, Rob

vicmz

Re: Gnome icon pack

#3 Post by vicmz »

oligin10 wrote:Hi, just checking on the gnome icon pack. It isn't highlighted to download. Thanks, Rob
Thanks Rob, the link is active.

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

IIRC with OpenBox you always have to right-click on the desktop to get to the Menu. I'm one of those weird people who actually really like a Windblows-style arrangement of being able to open the Menu from a tray button, and a context menu by right-clicking on anything. It's a serious peeve of mine to not have a Menu button in the tray.

So does OpenBoxPlus allow you to have a Menu in your tray? If it does I might check it out. I do like the look. (Is there a DeepThought-style orange/black theme for it as well? That would make it even better.)

vicmz

#5 Post by vicmz »

starhawk wrote:does OpenBoxPlus allow you to have a Menu in your tray?
Tint2 lacks such menu, Lxpanel does have it but I'm still searching setups to make it more Puppy-like, just like JWM menu.
starhawk wrote:Is there a DeepThought-style orange/black theme for it as well?
The GTK theme collection has a wide choice including the DeepThought theme itself, Openbox themes are built-in except Crunchy and Ambiance-Radiance (they are in separate PETs).

A simple example (note that icon sets have to be installed and changed manually)
Attachments
orange-customization.jpg
(52.66 KiB) Downloaded 14473 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

Nice! One more question before I start downloading.

Is there an English version for the Americans like me who aren't even perfectly fluent in our own language? I don't like being like that, but it's not likely to change any time soon... I can say I know enough Spanish to start and end a conversation, but my few words (and poor pronunciation) of French will get me punched in the face very quickly I think. LOL.

vicmz

#7 Post by vicmz »

starhawk wrote:Nice! One more question before I start downloading.

Is there an English version for the Americans like me who aren't even perfectly fluent in our own language? I don't like being like that, but it's not likely to change any time soon... I can say I know enough Spanish to start and end a conversation, but my few words (and poor pronunciation) of French will get me punched in the face very quickly I think. LOL.
OpenboxPlus is in English :lol: :lol: :lol:
My desktop is in Spanish because I speak Spanish :D
But you will see everything in perfect English if that's the system language.

At the moment only English and Spanish support is available, those who wish to help in the localization department can find more info here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86103

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

Oh, sorry...

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I had assumed that because your image had Spanish text in it, that the PETs might only support Spanish. I've seen such things before.

vicmz

#9 Post by vicmz »

starhawk wrote:Oh, sorry...

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I had assumed that because your image had Spanish text in it, that the PETs might only support Spanish. I've seen such things before.
No problem :D

Below three more examples of what you can do with the PETs in the first post and some imagination:
Attachments
inverted-position.jpg
(69.73 KiB) Downloaded 14401 times
lxpanel-transparent.jpg
(76.2 KiB) Downloaded 14280 times
lxpanel-dock_right.jpg
(50.38 KiB) Downloaded 14407 times

Smithy

Openbox Plus

#10 Post by Smithy »

Brilliant work vicmz, is there a tooltips off bug in tint?
Tried tooltips=0 but not sure it is "taking".
Other than that it is working really nicely.
The Left Click and Right Click are at last "homogenised".

About the close boxes, there is room in the tint config to add something to the mouse right button and middle button, maybe if something is added to this it might close files?

Out of interest I found this editor.
I have attached the editor here, can't get it to work tho'.
It is actually a.py file but had to rename it to tar.
Attachments
right click1.jpg
(42.66 KiB) Downloaded 14398 times
left click1.jpg
(40.74 KiB) Downloaded 14274 times
tintwizard.tar
(107.95 KiB) Downloaded 1527 times

vicmz

#11 Post by vicmz »

Hello Smithy :D

Me too, I can't get the wizard to work. However, nilsonmorales, who originally compiled or packaged the Tint2 panel used in OpenboxPlus, also included a small GUI to choose themes, so here's what you can do:

1. Make your custom Tint2 panel themes or download the ones attached below (found on the web, don't remeber where).
2. Copy the files with the extension .tint2rc into a folder, say /root/my-applications/tint2themes.
3. Go to the Menu > Desktop > Tint2 configuration, click Themes > Add, select the files in the folder of step 2 and add them all.

Note that the tint2rc files below are not adapted to OpenboxPlus just yet, but you can edit them as you like. I'll adapt a few when I get some free time.
Attachments
see_menu-desktop-tint2configuration.png
(163.96 KiB) Downloaded 14323 times
tint2themes.tar.gz
(6.22 KiB) Downloaded 1432 times
Last edited by vicmz on Fri 24 May 2013, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

nilsonmorales

#12 Post by nilsonmorales »

Attachments
tint2conf.tar
(72 KiB) Downloaded 1485 times

Smithy

#13 Post by Smithy »

Well thanks to both of you.

I did discover that if you put right mouse=close, then it will close the taskbar now and there are other options.

So far it seems like a rock solid little desktop. Thanks.

`f00

#14 Post by `f00 »

@vicmz - sent a pm w/attached archive to you
I'd like to modify the Lxpanel menu so that it shows categories and entries just like in JWM menu, any information on this is highly appreciated.
hope it helps :)

stu91

#15 Post by stu91 »

Regarding tint2:
I posted a simple yad tint2 theme maker somewhere on the forum - think it was called tint2setup or tint2set or something like that.

lvds

#16 Post by lvds »

It's looking great 8) Is it compatible with new xdg menu implementation ?

vicmz

#17 Post by vicmz »

Thanks `f00 and stu90, I'll check as soon as I can.
lvds wrote:It's looking great 8) Is it compatible with new xdg menu implementation ?
Actually, I have no idea what you're talking about. :lol:
All I know is I want the panel menu to be simpler, without too much submenus. I don't really care if it follows a standard, unless the standard does improve the menu.

lvds

#18 Post by lvds »

vicmz wrote:Thanks `f00 and stu90, I'll check as soon as I can.
lvds wrote:It's looking great 8) Is it compatible with new xdg menu implementation ?
Actually, I have no idea what you're talking about. :lol:
All I know is I want the panel menu to be simpler, without too much submenus. I don't really care if it follows a standard, unless the standard does improve the menu.
Yes, it's the purpose 8) everything is detailed in the thread by other puppy member. Would be great if you can give your point of view and tell us wether it's "safe" or not... A mix of your 2 projects will be great ! :-)

recobayu

wdz8 theme

#19 Post by recobayu »

Hi Everyone, can i join too? i made a wdz 8 theme with openbox in there.
you can download from here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=64196

Tman

#20 Post by Tman »

Hi Vicmz,

I like how you have configured your tint2 panel, it looks really nice.
To get items to close on right-click add the following to /root/.config/tint2rc :

mouse_right = close

This is under the "MOUSE ACTION ON TASK" category, near the bottom of the tint2rc file. Restart X Server for changes to take effect.