How to boot from USB, save to HDD? (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
gasem

How to boot from USB, save to HDD? (Solved)

#1 Post by gasem »

I would like an option to always boot frugal from USB, but use a hard disk partition to save to. It would be similar to a hard disk install but using the bios boot sequence as the boot loader instead of grub. I would like to be able to use the entire partition. I could simply resize my HDD to make an ext partition and use that in conjunction with the flash drive. If I want linux I just pop in the usb and boot

tnx

ally

#2 Post by ally »

create a bootable usb flash install using puppy universal installer

you can save to the flash too or copy it to the hdd

:)

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

Not all Puppies have the "save to a partition" option. There have been problems with that method being unstable.

However, read here for a discussion about booting off a USB drive with the other Puppy files on a hard drive.

I haven't tested this, but you might be able to boot a full hard drive install the same way. The syslinux.cfg file might look like

Code: Select all

default vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=normal

gasem

#4 Post by gasem »

tnx rcrsn51

Here is what I did.

I made a live CD from UPUP perfect 3.8.3.1 nonPAE. I wiped a USB and formatted 600mb EXT2 boot partition. I made the rest of the USB into a separate etx partition which I can use to bring along files if I want

I made a bootable puppy flash using Puppy Universal installer. I deleted the puppy ,sfs pacjkage off the bootable USB

I opened extlinux.conf and edited pmedia=usbflas to h to pmedia=CD and saved

I unmounted and removed the USB drive from the usb jack

I set up the puppy environment and close with the CD still active in the drive. This allowed me to save to HDD and copied and set up .sfs on the hard drive. I rebooted from the CD and let the file layers take effect.

I then rebooted from the USB right into my setup puppy environment. Very fast works great. If I want windows I just yank the USB.

At some point I may try extending to the entire partition I increased my boot file to 4.5 gb using the boot file expander and it loaded fine.

tnx again