Random computer freeze with Puppy Precise 5.28/5.5

Using applications, configuring, problems
rrolsbe

Random computer freeze with Puppy Precise 5.28/5.5

#1 Post by rrolsbe »

Update: The /etc/X11/xorg.conf file (attached) works until acpi=off boot option is issued. Replaced with original xorg.conf from sfs file and now it boots using acpi=off.

Experts

I have a new Dell Inspiron 15Z Special Edition (7520) laptop with hybrid Graphics. I am fighting a very random freezing problem while booted into Puppy Precise.

I believe the problem might be that Puppy Precise is trying to use both the Intel HD4000 and ATI Radeon HD7730M graphics (Not sure)

I had a lockup problem using Puppy Precise 5.28 until I started booting with the "puppy acpi=off" this seems to have fixed the VERY random lockup problem. I did some trouble shooting before trying the acpi=off boot option, so something else might be involved in the 5.28 fix. Not sure exactly what this did to fix the problem? Note: I also could not adjust the screen brightness using the (Fn+F4/F5) hot keys until I added the acpi-=off boot option.

I am having the same VERY random lockup problem with Puppy Precise 5.5 (same kernel as Precise 5.28 version 3.2.29); however, When I use the acpi=off boot option, it does NOT successfully boot into the graphical Puppy desktop.

As I do not require high-end graphics, using the Intel HD4000 graphics would be sufficient. I am creating a Custom Puppy boot DVD (Using Precise 5.5) that I hope will boot and and not lockup on several different laptop models; therefore, to remain generic, I hope a simple boot option (if required) will solve the lockup problem.

Puppy Presice 5.28/5.5 both drain the battery VERY quickly! Not sure what is causing this? Booting Mint 14 (Ubuntu based) on the Dell (7520) has never given me any problems (I verified it is using the ATI Radeon xorg).

Any help solving the random lockup problem would be GREATLY appreciated. Any other Puppy Precise/Dell 7520 advice would also be appreciated.

Regards, Ron
Attachments
xorg.conf_acpi-off_broke.gz
I was using this attached xorg.conf booting from the ISO in VirtualBox for testing. Not I am booting from a boot CD on bare metal.
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

davids45

Also having very random "freezes" with recent kernel Pups

#2 Post by davids45 »

G'day rrolsbe,
Just to mention my very random but reasonably infrequent "freezes" with virtually all recent kernel Pups, say for the last six months?
The Pup boots up OK and runs well until the screen goes suddenly black and then a second later, I see a screen of white text messages. The computer still runs and in some cases completes the task it was doing when this happened. Sometimes I still have the mouse cursor but the keyboard is always dead as far as the computer is concerned.
I have not seen any pattern to the screen text messages (I look at those toward the bottom of the screen which I guess involve the last things happening before the freeze or loss of signal).
I did notice lines with "EIP......SS:ESP...." then "CR2..." surrounded by lots of numbers in a few cases. But not always - sometimes I recall seeing "acpi" in the last lines of text.
I'm assuming I have either a RAM or CPU/motherboard problem.
I did have a Radeon graphics card in this desktop but took that out and have been using the on-board Intel graphics for a month or so - but still get this infrequent "freeze".
Restarting (pressing the reset button) the just-frozen Pup seems to be quite OK and runs without further problem. I can't deliberately cause the freeze.
I think I see a freeze when running a "bigger" program (e.g. Libre Office, Seamonkey) but not with a simple game (e.g. solitaire, freecell) or just having the computer idling.
Full & Frugal Pups both show the problem.
I'm curious to hear of any similar experiences or of any advice as to what to try (or buy).
David S.

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

I have not tested 5.5 yet so got curious that two of you
had problem. My computer is some 3 to 5 years old now.
HP/Compaq SR 5622 it has odd graphics too? G98 Geforce 9300GE
Which acts up sometimes but works good in Lupu 528-005 AFAIK.

So I try to install the Precise 5.5 now and tell the result where okay.

I could see the Eurovision song Contest 3 hours without any crash
and I looked at youtube no crash so it could be about your graphics there
Last edited by nooby on Mon 20 May 2013, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

ally

#4 Post by ally »

hey rrolsbe

I had a similar issue with an acer 8935g crashing due to overheating

it too had switchable graphics, it was this that caused the problems, as soon as I disabled the dual graphics it resolved the problem

HTH

:)