Unetbootin?

Requests go here. If you fill a request, give it a new thread in the appropriate category and then link to it in the request thread.
sunsnoel

Unetbootin?

#1 Post by sunsnoel »

Is their a unetbootin for puppy.? :roll:

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

Not directly. What are you trying to do?

ally

#3 Post by ally »

hey sun

you can find isobooter here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67235 which will do much the same as unetbootin for puppy

HTH

:)

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

By the way, sunsnoel, if you're trying to get a USB install of Puppy then there's plenty better than Unetbootin.

Puppy Universal Installer -> install to USB flash drive

then

grub4dos bootloader config

DON'T USE REGULAR GRUB (aka GRUB2, GRUB Legacy). I have gotten that thing to work exactly once ever. grub4dos is so simple that it almost takes effort to screw the thing up. Regular GRUB is a pain in the *** pile of junk code that basically doesn't work.

sunsnoel

#5 Post by sunsnoel »

Thanks for the replies. I started using Carolina it has unetbootin in the repos. I like trying out lots of distrows & unetbootin makes that easy....

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

Well, you can download a binary (executable) at their website -- runs on any Linux distro basically ever. You have to right click on it, select Permissions, and make it executable... but that's all. After that, it runs.

Unetbootin website (Linux is the middle blue button at the top, 1/2way down the homepage it explains about the permission changes) --> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

The only problem I've ever had with Unetbootin, is that it doesn't work properly if there's another bootloader installed on the target drive. You actually have to not only wipe the drive, but create a new partition table in gparted in order to wipe the MBR and make the drive that has eg grub4dos on it, able to be used again with Unetbootin. Geez guys >.<

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

if there's another bootloader installed on the target drive. You actually have to not only wipe the drive, but create a new partition table in gparted in order to wipe the MBR and make the drive that has eg grub4dos on it, able to be used again with Unetbootin. Geez guys >.<
There are easier ways to clear the MBR
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

I'd love to hear of them!

Burn_IT

#10 Post by Burn_IT »

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda/ bs=446 count=1
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett