How to suppress Welcome screen, Video Setup screen?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Smithy

How to suppress Welcome screen, Video Setup screen?

#1 Post by Smithy »

Wondering how can I suppress the Welcome screen,
Video options (country, language etc) Screen
and I think the "warning you have no network" screen on First Boot? And anything else that pops up on first boot.
I've looked in first run, but can't find anything

I would like to adjust these from the menu afterwards.

Anyone know the answers to these? I am getting a bit dangerous with Puppy now, but not as dangerous as some!

npierce

#2 Post by npierce »

You didn't mention which Puppy you have, but this is how I think it works in Precise 5.5. Your Puppy may be different.

The "Welcome, woof, woof" window is /usr/sbin/welcome1stboot. The "Quick Setup" dialog (for country, video, and network settings) is /usr/sbin/quicksetup.

These are launched from the /usr/sbin/delayedrun script unless that script can find a distro-specific version of itself (e.g., /usr/sbin/delayedrun-precise) that matches the running Puppy.

At the time of running quicksetup, delayedrun creates the /tmp/delayedrun_firstboot_flag file, which will suppress the running of quicksetup on subsequent runs of delayedrun.

After running welcome1stboot, delayedrun creates the /var/local/delayedrun_firstboot_flag file, which will suppress the running of both quicksetup and welcome1stboot (as well as muzzling the noisy dog) on subsequent runs of delayedrun.

The running of quicksetup can also be suppressed if the /etc/personal_settings_popup_disabled file exits. (That file is normally created by remasterpup2.)

I am unfamiliar with any "warning you have no network" screen.

Smithy

#3 Post by Smithy »

Thanks for the overview npierce, I managed to put a portion of code from the puppy kiosk guy's thread to suit, not as drastic as kiosk mode, but it seems to have stopped the country/ keyboard wizard coming up, which is what I was after.
Cheers.

npierce

#4 Post by npierce »

You're welcome.