shutdown function in linux

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
learner

shutdown function in linux

#1 Post by learner »

Hi,
once i call shutdown function for socket for data transmission. it stop data transmission. can i re-enable to data transmission for socket. how can i do that?

----------
Linux Learner

musher0

Re: shutdown function in linux

#2 Post by musher0 »

learner wrote:Hi,
once i call shutdown function for socket for data transmission. it stop data transmission. can i re-enable to data transmission for socket. how can i do that?

----------
Linux Learner
Hi, Linux Learner,

If you issue a shutdown command , even the data transmission shuts down. Sounds logical to me! :) If you shut down the coffee maker, no more coffee is being made!

If you want to re-enable the transmission, I guess you will have to re-start your Puppy and re-do the transmission once more.

Bye for now.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

akash_rawal

Re: shutdown function in linux

#3 Post by akash_rawal »

learner wrote: once i call shutdown function for socket for data transmission. it stop data transmission. can i re-enable to data transmission for socket. how can i do that?
I think there's no way. Create a new socket and establish a new connection.

shutdown() doesn't close the file descriptor. So it might be valid to call connect() on it again, but it isn't documented.