Puppy Linux - Software saved in .pup file and speed issue

Using applications, configuring, problems
asparuh13

Puppy Linux - Software saved in .pup file and speed issue

#1 Post by asparuh13 »

Hey there! I'm pretty new to Puppy Linux and to linux as a whole, but i'm kind of getting into stuff.....

Before i state my question i'd like to say that i am on a Slacko 5.5 from a USBstick and that i am more or less aware of how .pup files work. I installed pupsaveconfig 2.2.5 so that i can choose whether to save the curent session or power the computer off without filling my .pup save with useless or encumbering stuff.

So, my question is: when i install some .pet package or any other package and it gets saved to the .pup file, does that by any way influence the performance of the system afterwards when the system loads it? Does the speed decrease if i have installed some things ? And if that is so (because by my observations it is so, i just need a confirmation ), can one go about saving that software to the hdd or usb stick and still have most of the RAM at disposal?

Karl Godt

#2 Post by Karl Godt »

You only run in RAM without puppy_name_save.[2-4]fs .

Performance might decrease if new software install boot scripts into /etc/init.d/ directory .

Of course your hardware specs might slow down performance in case that yesterday it was snowing and today it is 30°C shadow .