Share files (LAN) between two Puppy computers? [SOLVED]

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
PaulR

Share files (LAN) between two Puppy computers? [SOLVED]

#1 Post by PaulR »

Most of what I've read on the forum deals with Windows to Puppy or vice versa or seems out of date - how do I set up a shared directory on a Puppy PC and connect to it from another Puppy?

I've tried YASSM with username 'root' and password '' and the correct host name but how do I set a directory as 'shared' ?(maybe to do with permissions/groups??).

Or do I need to install something else? This is on Slacko 5.5 btw.

Cheers

Paul
Last edited by PaulR on Wed 29 May 2013, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: How to share files on a LAN between two Puppy computers

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

PaulR wrote:how do I set up a shared directory on a Puppy PC and connect to it from another Puppy?

I've tried YASSM with username 'root' and password '' and the correct host name but how do I set a directory as 'shared' ?(maybe to do with permissions/groups??)
YASSM is Samba client software - you need to set up a Samba server. Read here for a simple method.

PaulR

#3 Post by PaulR »

Thanks, that was what I was expecting but I couldn't see any other way to share files except via FTP (but that's not very convenient).

I noticed samba 3.x and 4.0 in the repositories but didn't want to install anything unnecessarily.

I'll read up on that link.

Paul

PaulR

#4 Post by PaulR »

That looks pretty straightforward.

Would it be possible to edit smb.conf such that an automatically mounted USB drive was shared? I'm trying to set up a single point to store all our home photos, videos, documents etc. and thought I could put them on a (large capacity) portable drive plugged into an old netbook PC and have that share the contents of the drive (a sort of DIY NAS!).

Performance isn't an issue as it would be for fairly infrequent access.

Paul

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

PaulR wrote:Would it be possible to edit smb.conf such that an automatically mounted USB drive was shared?
Just change "/mnt/home" to "/mnt/sdbx". You need to ensure that the drive is mounted before the server is started.

PaulR

#6 Post by PaulR »

Excellent many thanks for the help. Again! :D

Paul

PaulR

#7 Post by PaulR »

The instructions worked with one minor alteration:

On the client I'm using YASSM's Samba share select. The 'server' value in 'samba-select.dat' needed setting to the server's hostname rather than the netbios name (pupserver). So, my client entry looks like this:

Code: Select all

EeePC Share,root,woofwoof,pupshare,eeepc
Next up, auto-start the server and auto-mount the disk!

Paul

PaulR

#8 Post by PaulR »

The auto-start script works fine but for some reason trying to mount a USB device within that script doesn't work.

After boot I can open a terminal and do 'mount /dev/sdb /mnt/sdb' and it mounts properly (and is accessible via YASSM!).

Any suggestions?

Paul

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

PaulR wrote:Any suggestions?
What is the line that you added to the auto-start script? Did you remove the # symbol?

Try putting a "sleep 5" command above the mount command.

PaulR

#10 Post by PaulR »

Yes I uncommented the line :lol: , I'll try putting in the delay and see if that does it.

Paul

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

rcrsn51 wrote:What is the line that you added to the auto-start script?

PaulR

#12 Post by PaulR »

Having just read up on the mount command, not fully understanding how Puppy's file system works and taking your hint I realise I'd made a mistake. I've corrected it and the device is now being mounted within the script.

mount /dev/sdb /mnt
does the trick.

Thanks once again for YASSM and the hand-holding!

Paul

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

PaulR wrote:

mount /dev/sdb /mnt
That doesn't make any sense. It should look like

mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
If the mount point /mnt/sdb1 does not exist yet, you should use

mkdir /mnt/sdb1
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1

PaulR

#14 Post by PaulR »

Well, as per my earlier post, I was using mount /dev/sdb /mnt/sdb (which worked from a terminal but not in the start up script). After reading several pages I gathered that the mount point (directory) had to exist but wasn't sure if I could create it under /mnt or if so whether it would be persistent across boots.

In any event mount /dev/sdb /mnt does work even if it's not supposed to!

If I look in /mnt it contains just the directories on the USB device. If I then mount sda1 that appears in the correct place... /mnt/sda1

That said I'd rather do it the right way so I'll create the directory and mount it 'properly'.

Paul
Attachments
capture12306.png
(124.04 KiB) Downloaded 1318 times

rcrsn51

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

Your screen capture shows "sdb" instead of "sdb1". Maybe the device was formatted in some kind of "super-floppy" mode that does not have a partition table.

In that case, /dev/sdb would be correct.

PaulR

#16 Post by PaulR »

I don't think I've ever used that option when formatting; in fact the health warning within Puppy has always made me avoid it!

I've changed the relevant lines of the script to:

mkdir /mnt/sdb
mount /dev/sdb /mnt/sdb
I've also removed the sleep command and the device is now being mounted properly without destroying/hiding all the other 'standard' mount points.

Thanks once more :D

Paul