My Experience (so far) with Lenovo U310 laptop

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
WoodLark

My Experience (so far) with Lenovo U310 laptop

#1 Post by WoodLark »

I purchased a Lenovo U310 laptop last week. It comes with Windows 8 installed. What a horrible OS! When Iam forced to use Windows (rarely thank goodness), I use XP.

I decide right away to install Puppy.

My first choice was Slacko 5.5 since this is what I currently have on my desktop. The only problem area was the touchpad. No matter what I did, I could never get the right mouse click to work. I tried suggestions that had worked on other Linux distributions (Mint, Ubuntu, and Arch) with no joy.

I decided to try Lucid 5.2.8, but I never got as far as determining if the touchpad would work. When I tried to exit the initial setup wizard, it would attempt to restart X. The computer would hang at this point.

I then went to Precise Puppy 5.6.1. Everything works! The default touchpad settings are not to my liking. I can change the settings using flSynclient, but the changes do not survive a reboot. My next project is to determine how to make the changes stick and then tweak them to exactly what I want.

If anyone else is working with this same model laptop, I would enjoy hearing about any quirks you have encountered and any tweaks you have made.

BTW, I may change from Slacko to Precise on my desktop. I really like Precise!