Xautomate, xdotool, xwarppointer, xdialog

For discussions about programming, programming questions/advice, and projects that don't really have anything to do with Puppy.
H4LF82

Xautomate, xdotool, xwarppointer, xdialog

#1 Post by H4LF82 »

I have recently discovered BASH---

and long story short, my Lucid Puppy experience has become a LOT more interesting. My question this....

xwarppointer, xdotool, xte, these are all bash-command line accessible programs that increase my computers functionality from the command line---but is there any place I can go to see a complete list of programs such as these that will work with Lucid? And where in my Lucid filesystem will I find other similar "interesting programs like I do in /usr/bin with gifdiff and gifsicle (I had NO IDEA such power existed in the command line!!)?

Is there a list somewhere? what are some of YOUR favorite functionality-adding tools compatible with this awesome system?

Cheers!

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Hi H4LF82; There may be a web list, just Google for it.

For CLI exec. files look in: /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin
There are also many scripts by Barry and others that make Puppy work.

All CLI exec files can work in any Linux distro., some may need to be compiled to work though.

If you look at the Ubuntu site in the Lucid, Precise, Raring ( your distro.).
Most apps. for a given distro. ( Ubu. Lucid ) will work in that Puppy version.

Lucid main app. groups: http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/

Package and file search engine: http://packages.ubuntu.com/
Last edited by sunburnt on Tue 28 May 2013, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Here's a thread with a list of everyone's favorite command-line programs. I like tree.

To see a list of the many commands Puppy has, open a console and maximize it, hit the Tab key twice, then Y, then keep hitting the Enter key until everything is shown. After that you can scroll up and down. Unfortunately this only shows the names of the commands with no explanation or links to man pages. After that, you're on your own. :(

H4LF82

#4 Post by H4LF82 »

Thank you Flash and sunburnt!

Love LOVE LOVE the tab tab y enter thing---does that even have a name? is there a list of other such commands hidden somewhere?

Display all 2269 possibilities? (y or n)

y, definitely y.

I am trying to realize one of my own personal "goals" of producing a high quality Turing-winning-type A.I. program (like ALICE or ELIZA or PandoraBots---only without the buggy and "ignorant" non-learning AIML code; no disrespect intended for Dr Wallace...), and bash seems to give me hope with a functionality I have not seen since BASIC ran on the Apple 2c. I feel a little bit like I have had this great 50,000 pc erector set in my closet for years but only recently have I found the instructions, and the more I read, the more I realize my instructions are not complete. There are pages missing...lots of them

That is to say, there WERE pages missing. I seem to have a better idea of what to look for and how to look...thank you for that again :D

I will have further questions in the future no doubt., but for now, my thirst is satisfied.

You have given me a LOT to think about :) Gonna let that digest--Cheers!