STT--Speech To Text

Using applications, configuring, problems
mmmrr

short cut voice commands

#31 Post by mmmrr »

hello, all

is shortcut voice commands the same thing as macro words?
such as an easily recognised word, 'easy' for example , combined
with a number, ie: 'easy 1', 'easy 2' and so on, which could
stand for longer commands in frequent use, including window
management tasks.

it certainly seems like the OP is highly motivated, with sad reason,
but we are here to help and excited to be part of such a quantum
leap. part of shortening the sst engine's learning curve is to give it
a more useful database to begin. if it hears the same passage read
more than once it learns more about how you say a word or letter
and if it can hear the passage read four or five times then so much
the better.

ditto for reciting the alphabet and double ditto for reciting the alphabet
backwards. numbers also. i'm sure others know more about this aspect.
i know there must be a literature on this topic.

i'll just say warmest good wishes, fascinating thread, enjoying yr post
style h4lf82.

cheers, mmm

H4LF82

#32 Post by H4LF82 »

Smithy, you bring up an interesting point of view! I will attempt to shed some light since I speak some basic programming...

"macro words" is a good way of putting it. imagine blindfolding yourself before you go to your computer and then turning it on and navigating to the browser.

just THIS ACT requires you to decide lots of things you may not realize, such as;

Is the computer performing correctly?
is it currently online?
is there an error message that requires attention from an improper shutdown or other event?

If all is well, you can visually see that and just click the "browse" icon. if not you can adjust accordingly---if you can see.

if you cannot see you have no idea there is an error message. no idea the internet is not connected. no idea if the machine is not on and running unless it is your first boot or you boot from the disk (and get the "bark! bark!" .wav) or you manually set it to beep annoyingly when it powers on.

Without eyes, every scenario is a challenge because one must adapt in real time to an ever-changing landscape. Blindfold yourself and you will understand.

THAT is the stick STT and TTS should be measured by...can the user operate his or her PC without any other input device other than a microphone? Without eyes, the mouse, keyboard, AND the video are all useless crap in the way.

If you are a software developer and you want to develop an award winning program that will be a boon for the visually impaired sector of society, solidifying your place in the history books as the father of modern machine sapience and insuring that statues, college campus buildings and awards are created in your honor...

you will do this.

Blindfold yourself, then imagine how to design a verbal interface that will give you command line access so you can create text files that contain the "macro words" necessary for creating command line executing programs without the need for a keyboard or mouse.

you dont NEED a screen to use your computer, you just need a screen to see it. Design a program that tells what happens on the screen and you will no longer require the screen. Computers can get smaller thanks to you.

You dont NEED a keyboard to use puppy linux. puppy linux has Xvkbd. Someone just needs to give me a way to give it 96 different verbal commands and I can type without ever touching a keyboard just like I do now, one key at a time. Computers can now have less input devices thanks to you.

You dont NEED a mouse to use Puppy Linux. You can use Xdotool and click on anything anywhere. Someone just needs to give me a way to give it coordinates and have it report coordinates so I know the coordinates of the browser are x25 y350 and I can make the computers job easier by saying "mouser move x25 y350, right click" and so on. Computers would no longer need mice thanks to you.

so...when smokey01 says "I will try to compile Simon for you into a pet package", what he is basically saying, at least as I understand it, is this...

"Using common programs already available on puppy Linux, the need for peripheral equipment on a desktop are reduced to a microphone and speaker. or a Bluetooth usb and a headset... with some time spent on the setup initially. everything will need to be assigned a value, and functions can then be created using 'macro words' that one can speak into literal text strings stored as text files to be read by either the user or the computer"

Keyboards, mice, touchscreens, they are all crutches. visual keys to mental constructions that we as sighted people take for granted as "decidedly necessary for using a computer". Nobody can imagine using a computer without looking at it or typing on it, but we could use them that way. We have the technology. Blind people have long dreamed of a world where they can verbally interact with everything. combining TTS and STT and you will directly contribute to a rapid increase in accessibility for the blind in computers and home automation for the physically handicapped, the obsolescence of the keyboard, the mouse, and the monitor, and likely become known as one of the greatest programmers of modern times.

...that is what I think anyway. correct me if I am wrong, please.

:D

mmmrr, I do not know what shortcut voice commands are, but It certainly sounds similar to me. At least according to common sense and the dictionary. a macro is a file that one uses to repeat a repetitive task programatically, though generally a macro is a text file and one must write it. "macro words" would be combining the idea of a macro with the idea of speaking the code instead of typing the code of a macro. or at least that is what the term "macro words" means to me. If anyone else cares to add ther definition of "macro words" they are invited to do so.

Cheers!
"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson

H4LF82

#33 Post by H4LF82 »

which basically makes smokey01 a programming Zeus worthy of marble statue carving....

Im just saying.

Thanks again smokey01. I know its probably giving you hell. any time you think you wanna throw in the towel I will understand if you reach your wits end!

totally serious about that pint BTW smokey01.
... And it also reads the text on the website, wonder if it can ignore all the markup stuff.
Smithy this will likely require a logic engine that allows for a "text only mode", and sets variables to fail to include speaking aloud any links, hyper text, or any other aspect of "news and text related sites" like this forum or google news that is not body text surrounded by multiple page breaks "<br>" while in text only mode, and a verbose mode for when hearing every link and page break. Ideally speaking that is.

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson

partsman

#34 Post by partsman »

This has got to be one of the best threds i have seen ! :D Serious and entertaining as well :lol: I have a feeling it will happen ! You want to know why i use puppy ? Because from all the other distros out there the people in these forums are TOTALLY AWESOME !!! Yes sometimes projects seem like they are forgotten about but the next thing ya know ! somebody stumbles across a small piece of the puzzle and there ya have it ! I have complete confidence in smokey01 and catdude ! As well as all who get involved in this project ! You will be amazed ! Puppies power stems from the people :wink: that is why PUPPY LINUX IS THE BEST ! I am very excited to see how this turns out ! Like i said i too have a very close member of my family that this would be quiet an amazing breakthrough !
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

smokey01

#35 Post by smokey01 »

Guys you give me far too much credit.
Believe it or not but I'm not actually typing this message I'm dictating into an iPad through Siri.

As you can see it is quite accurate.
If we could do something similar in puppy it would be very very useful.

smokey01

#36 Post by smokey01 »

ImageImage

Smokey01 <----> CatDude

Someone who understands KDE might do better.

jpeps

#37 Post by jpeps »

smokey01 wrote:Guys you give me far too much credit.
Believe it or not but I'm not actually typing this message I'm dictating into an iPad through Siri.

As you can see it is quite accurate.
I'd consider that an intelligent solution.

H4LF82

#38 Post by H4LF82 »

catdude is in on it too? I had no idea...

Now I feel HONORED EVEN!

THANK YOU catdude!!

and THANK YOU smokey01!!

whether you guys get it licked or not, let me just say that I appreciate the effort, regardless of the outcome!

You guys are "top gear" in my book :D

smokey01

#39 Post by smokey01 »

H4LF82, are you able to run 64 bit operating systems on your computer?

H4LF82

#40 Post by H4LF82 »

I do not believe so, smokey01. I believe I am on 32 bit systems all around. I will begin double checking now to make sure...give me ten minutes to report!

H4LF82

#41 Post by H4LF82 »

smokey01, I have two of these...

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quic ... 412_na.PDF

...and they DO seem to support 64 bit according to the specs...they are my MAIN machines.

So lets start there :) I am almost 99 percent ALL my other hardware is 32 bit tho--so I generally stick to 32 bit mode. but according to the specs as I read them, 64 bit mode is supported on my main towers.

Ted Dog

#42 Post by Ted Dog »

smokey01 wrote:H4LF82, are you able to run 64 bit operating systems on your computer?
I do, I do... Please if it speeds release of software go for it.

H4LF82

#43 Post by H4LF82 »

yeah I have to agree with you Ted Dog.

Bollox to the 32 bit systems for now. Who cares if it runs on dinosaur equipment so long as it runs happily enough on the newer stuff.

Should I change my distro preference from lucid to something more racy or wary or precise smokey01? I am happy to shoot the Lucid Old-Yeller if it makes this less painful. You tell me what to get and I will follow your suggestions.

For those of you who are reading this thread and dont know, smokey01 IS a Puppy Linux Jedi Master

http://www.smokey01.com/menu/

he and catdude and all their buddies are like-- lukes and obi-wan's, and BarryK is like their yoda. I guess it must be some chemical in the water or something that creates these half-human-half cyborg programmers from down under like smokey01 and catdude and BK.

If smokey01 told me it would be good for me to immerse my computer in the backyard pool, I would do it without hesitating.

I heard a rumor that BarryK once had a corn on his bigtoe that could write code in assembly and LISP.

Ted Dog

#44 Post by Ted Dog »

Also why not build a distributed compile pet for 64bit and 32bit puppies. Would love to get my monster fast 64bitter compile code for my slow 64bitter or my ARM device. I set it up a few years back but can't reproduce the environment again :( Since the guru's are on this thread

H4LF82

#45 Post by H4LF82 »

Also why not build a distributed compile pet for 64bit and 32bit puppies. Would love to get my monster fast 64bitter compile code for my slow 64bitter or my ARM device. I set it up a few years back but can't reproduce the environment again Sad Since the guru's are on this thread
Ah contraire..
The gurus are not necessarily on this thread Ted Dog. They are on this forum.

daily most of them. and most of them read nearly every thread at some point. I assure you that if a distributed compile pet is needed and somebody creates a thread on the topic, it will get serious consideration by more than one person..

indeed it will be read and considered by most of them at some point. A more appropriate (and effective) place to suggest that might be on the forum in its own thread if you are serious about getting guru-level help with it.

Cheers!

Smithy

#46 Post by Smithy »

Don't know if anyone has emailed Peter Grasch, the main maker of Simon?

Maybe he can help with ironing out the niggles of compiling, (or provide an sfs or pet..I'm joking).

There is also a windows version, might be worth running up the flagpost on Tazoc's Lighthouse Pup 64 with wine (his pup's always seem comprehensive on wine ) just to get a feel of the program. Don't know what it needs to test that out tho', his blog mentioned thousands of extra files, shudder..

So is this going to talk to Orca? Never seen it, just read that there was a pup that had a screenreader and edi something built in a few years ago.

I read the Simon manual and it doesn't seem to have a screenreader built in..

Just throwing a few ideas into the pot.

Interesting that Raymond Kurzweil started a lot of this off, he used to make some great sampler keyboards, then I read that he wants to dig up his dad, to extract some dna and then add his own memories to make a new dad.
He now has accepted a post at Google.
And I am now glad that I went with Akai Samplers lol.

H4LF82

#47 Post by H4LF82 »

*as a reader i was planning on using espeak and making a few simplebash command scripts custom to my own application that annoyingly announce all system events and "visible" text when it is referenced...

I cannot speak for orca or Peter Grasch or wine tho...i defer those questions to deeper minds who know more about the inner workings of compiling the thing and getting it drunk. Also I re-assert my disdain for everything microsoft. My system has wine, but only for posterity. I dont ACTUALLY have any windows software to use with it, as a matter of principle.

partsman

#48 Post by partsman »

Hello again all !
I am no expert by any means :shock: lol but what about converting from ubuntu ? simon is in raring pkg data base ? Just thinking out loud here !
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

smokey01

#49 Post by smokey01 »

If you want real speed then Fatdog64-621 is the way to go.

I have planted the seed of a 64bit STT.SFS to work on Fatdog. The person in question is a really good coder and may provide some help. Lets wait and see if I get a response from a PM I sent him this morning. He may not be interested or simply too busy.

As much as I don't like the restrictiveness of Apple products, I have to admit the iPad3 is pretty slick. Last night I learned how to do the following, all with voice commands, no typing:
Open the Mail program
Select the address from the address book
Add a subject
Dictate the message
Then send it

At no time did I need to touch the iPad.

It would be nice to develop this level of functionality in Puppy.

Cheers

H4LF82

#50 Post by H4LF82 »

smokey01, I am sold. I will upgrade everything in my arsenal today that is 64bit to Fatdog64-621in preparation for this SFS.

I have to agree with you about Apple products being slick---but I have to tell you that if you are using SIRI to accomplish that STT on the iPad, what you are using is not a speech-to-text "program" as much as is a text-to-speech "service".

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/smart-t ... orld/19895

It will be difficult to replicate the robust nature of the SIRI system using a software approach only. I do not think it will be impossible though and I can only imagine that training will help...I cannot help but wonder how difficult it would be to reverse-engineer and replicate that infrastructure Apple is using as a software-supporting back end server for the Puppy Speech Interface (PupSI)...a dedicated server to process and store all speech input from every speech user, to assist all current and future users of PupSI...

...even if that is not the way we want to use the PupSI interface and set up the infrastructure TODAY, it is still helpful to bear in mind how other successful and envy-worthy STT systems have set up their own architecture, especially if we intend to mimic them some day.

IF you feel like a dedicated server is (or may be) necessary or helpful for this effort now or in the future, I have a few machines sitting around here I am happy to re purpose into Puppy LAMPs for us to use. Say the word and I will set them up and put them online as per your request.

I am off to go hunt down an ISO for FATDOG. I dont suppose anyone has a link to a mirror ?

Cheers and THANK YOU AGAIN smokey01, and catdude, and whomever else has their dirty little paws in this mud pie of madness. U guys rock my lame arse!

partsman... I have no idea about converting from ubuntu. I defer that question to someone who is knows more... :D