STT--Speech To Text

Using applications, configuring, problems
greengeek

#76 Post by greengeek »

Yes, thanks for the reply H4LF82. I think one of the difficulties in getting a voice driven puppy working is that there are clearly many different users, many degrees of vision impairment, and many different intended actions each user wants to perform on their PC.

Much of what you described is well beyond anything I could conceive of - eg: the idea of being able to change system fonts via voice control (and without being able to see the screen) is something I can only imagine will be YEARS away. However - some of the actions a user would want to perform DO seem possible with the current technology - as long as we assemble the building blocks correctly.

I am very interested in getting basic TTS and STT working together (it would be a handy addition to the functionality in Switchpup) and if you have the time / patience to advance an STT project I would welcome your assistance in determining what types of STT are helpful and what is not.

To that end I would like to suggest a very basic project as a way of testing and assembling the building blocks: I would like to make it possible to do the following:

1) Once the Puppy has booted I want it to speak to me: eg "Would you like me to play your music collection randomly?"
2) Another module (sphinx?) would listen to my answer and probably turn it into text (could probably skip this step but I include it anyway as part of the project...)
3) Another module (Simon?) would act on that text and randomly start playing my Music folder (via Peasymp3 or similar)

In this basic project I have not even suggested ncluding any form of STT filemanager to help me hunt for the music folder - that would be an even bigger project and would be a natural follow-on if the basic project works. At first we would just rely on having the Music folder in one place and getting the basics working. Your idea of a verbally controlled volume / mute function would be a great addition too.

I think such a basic project would be a good way to get to first base. Would you be interested in helping test this sort of thing?

H4LF82

#77 Post by H4LF82 »

obedient sounds promising! ill check it out and report back. thanks again ETP
:)
"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson

H4LF82

#78 Post by H4LF82 »

I think such a basic project would be a good way to get to first base. Would you be interested in helping test this sort of thing?
in a word greengeek, yes.

please email me and ill do whatever i can!

my username @ gmail.com

cheers!
"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows." - Thomas Jefferson

greengeek

#79 Post by greengeek »

Ok, great. I will be working in a different thread to make myself familiar with some of the available options for my STT project (There will be lots of tinkering...).

My goal is very basic -
- Make Puppy ask me a question
- Get puppy to hear my response through the mic and create a text file
- Act on the response in that text file.

my project here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=89258

H4LF82

#80 Post by H4LF82 »

Awesome! Im all over that new thread!

RetroTechGuy

#81 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Just leaving a flag so I can find this thread again
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

H4LF82

accessibility

#82 Post by H4LF82 »

For those of you following this thread, please be aware that some VERY REAL progress is being made by greekgeek on the "chatterbox" program (at the link given above).

For those of you who (like me) have vision issues, your input is welcomed and appreciated.

For those of you helping on this (and all of you know who you are), you guys are all Aces in my book. From the bottom of my heart, thanks guys!

To everyone else, STAY TUNED. Greatness is afoot...especially if you are visually impaired or know someone who is. Keep a keen eye on greekgeek. He is on FIRE!!